• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 0128shot

Jul 7, 2011
    Poolesville,MD
    So Im just getting into reloading, Im getting all the necessary parts and just picked up the Lyman Reloading Handbook 49th Edition at Bass Pro Shop. Im looking to reload 9mm luger in 115 grain FMJ, but they dont have that data they only have 115 grain in jacketed HP. So how can I safely reload the 115 gr FMJ?

tdt91

I will miss you my friend
    Apr 24, 2009
    Abingdon
    Look online at the powder manufactures, reloading equipment manufactures and bullet manufactures. The Lee book has good data too.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    115 gr - 1.10 oal
    unique 4.9 gr - 1000 fps
    titegroup 3.7 - @1000 fps
    power pistol 5.1 - 1000 fps

from my little cheat-sheet (hodgon, sierra and lyman book)

what works for me. believe all mid loads.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    There are many books and many recipes for loading 9mm Luger rounds. Read and understand how the round headspaces and fires.

Generally, a FMJ bullet or a HP bullet of the same weight will use a similar powder charge. Unique is a very versatile powder. If it was me, that's where I'd begin to work up loads for your gun.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    115 gr - 1.10 oal
    unique 4.9 gr - 1000 fps
    titegroup 3.7 - @1000 fps
    power pistol 5.1 - 1000 fps

from my little cheat-sheet (hodgon, sierra and lyman book)

what works for me. believe all mid loads.

The titegroup load is under min. start for Lyman's 49th, 4.0gr charge listed.

Although I of all people probably shouldn't be pointing ANYTHING out to ANYONE when it comes to reloading... :innocent0

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    The titegroup load is under min. start for Lyman's 49th, 4.0gr charge listed.

Although I of all people probably shouldn't be pointing ANYTHING out to ANYONE when it comes to reloading... :innocent0

will check again. its prolly from sierra book.

been using 124gr recently and i load it 4.2 titegroup and it feels the same as a regular factory rounds.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I only noticed cause I have Lyman's 49th on my table right now, and he's right, not that many options listed for 9mm Luger, wow.

If nothing else, at least my loads are finally behaving themselves. Not picking off cicada's at 100 yards like someone else here, but I'm making progress finally.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I only noticed cause I have Lyman's 49th on my table right now, and he's right, not that many options listed for 9mm Luger, wow.

If nothing else, at least my loads are finally behaving themselves. Not picking off cicada's at 100 yards like someone else here, but I'm making progress finally.

lol ;)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Give me time though, I'll get there.

Rocks ain't safe at 100 yards right now, I'll work up to flying insects some day.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    Lyman Data

The Lyman Handbook tends to be sparse for jacketed bullet data. The Lee Modern Reloading has a more comprehensive data base and you can get it now for $13.(but it is still not infallible- witness the fact that it has only one charge of W296 for .357 MAG {158 gr jacketed bullet} listed).
    The basic rule for a starting charge for a similarly shaped bullet (the hollow point means nothing inside the bore) is to start at the lower ed of the published charge spectrum for a similarly shaped bullet.
    DocAitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom