• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 0128shot

Jul 7, 2011
    Poolesville,MD
    I am looking for a handgun to get my brother into shooting, any good ones under $400?

Thanks

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I am looking for a handgun to get my brother into shooting, any good ones under $400?

Thanks

My first question is, how much experience do you have? Second, sometimes trying to teach family is a bad idea. If your brother is a total novice, find a good instructor on the forum and pay for a training class for him.

QuebecoisWolf

Ultimate Member
    May 14, 2008
    Anne Arundel
    Contact Lou45. I know that he's got a number of assorted .40 police trade-ins, but if you're willing to be patient, he's bound to find trade-ins in other calibers that fit your budget.

Alternatively, if you qualify, Glock offers an LEO/Fire/EMS/Military program where an NiB Glock and three magazines can be yours for at or near $400.

0128shot

Jul 7, 2011
    Poolesville,MD
    Thanks for all the replies, I think 9mm(cheap to shoot), full size handgun, and am leaning toward a semi-auto. And the gun will be used just as a range gun.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Thanks for all the replies, I think 9mm(cheap to shoot), full size handgun, and am leaning toward a semi-auto.

Glock 17.
    Look for a used one, preferably a police trade in. Full size, 9mm, accurate enough for most, and fairly idiot proof. Go for a Gen 3 if you can.

Alternatively, but still looking at used trade ins, S&W 59 series are solid and affordable options. If you look around or up your budget a tad, you could pick up a Sig P226 or S&W M&P9.

0128shot

Jul 7, 2011
    Poolesville,MD
    My first question is, how much experience do you have? Second, sometimes trying to teach family is a bad idea. If your brother is a total novice, find a good instructor on the forum and pay for a training class for him.

I do not have a ton of experience, but I think a decent amount. And we go shooting sometimes with my guns, so not complete novice, he just wants a handgun of his own now. Ya been thinking about a training class for myself so I might end up doing one with him. Thanks

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Used S&W Model 10 wheelgun. Great trigger, fail-safe piece, (relatively) cheap ammunition, good for everything but concealed carry, which he's not going to get in MD anyway.

INMY01TA

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2008
    Don't rule out a revolver. My Taurus 357 magnum was just a little over $400 and is a damn good shooter. The blast from a 357 never gets old.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I do not have a ton of experience, but I think a decent amount. And we go shooting sometimes with my guns, so not complete novice, he just wants a handgun of his own now. Ya been thinking about a training class for myself so I might end up doing one with him. Thanks

A trained instructor should notice issues with grip. Fixing it now is easier than in 30 years. Same goes for stance and any other facet of shooting. Also since there is no family history, the instructor can be as blunt or honest as they need to be without causing issues at Aunt Marge's birthday party.

Rent one first with your brother to see how he likes it. Glocks are not for everybody. I wish I was able to really like mine. It wasn't for me. Didn't feel right.

One of the instructors on the forum told us how his wife disliked the Glock but took to his SIG P229 as if it was made for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom