• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krew08

Lurker.
    Feb 26, 2010
    PA
    For those in Washington County, I have seen it at Hafers, next to the Eezox :)

I have not used Ballistol, but I've been meaning to try it on guns that aren't as "important" (Those guns get Eezox).

The reviews are great and Hickok45 swears by it, and he does a lot of shooting.

But as someone in this thread pointed out, be very careful of Ballistol on soft metal (gold, silver, etc) and nickle plating.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    So I take it that Ballistol would not be good on any nickel boron plated parts.

settleitinthering

1/4 in 22.2
    Jul 1, 2012
    Woodbine
    Not directly related to Ballistol, but often overlooked... protect your eyes while you clean. Teach your kids to use eye protection. It's much cooler to have your vision than to have a scarred cornea, regardless of how the glasses look. Solvents, slivers of brass, brushes, other materials have a tendency to flick out or splatter or otherwise go places you don't want, and the last place you want them is in your eye.

You only get one pair and just like leaving your gun at home, or in the car, or unloaded... not using your personal protective equipment (PPE) when you should is equally worthless.

I never thought about that...Great idea and thanks.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I buy the stuff in a spray can with a small nozzle on it. Larger containers need to be diluted with water. Goes further

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Ballistol is especially effective with black powder firearms -- full strength or diluted, depending upon its application.

This!:thumbsup:
    Love the stuff, use it on everything from new to old. Works great on wood and leather and I heard it can even be used as an antiseptic but don't take my word for it.
    If mixed with water can even be used to protect and flush barrels right after shooting corrosive ammo before cleaning, I guess similar to windex?
    The spray cans are very helpful and it also comes in larger containers with a screw on top for mixing purposes.
    I've seen it for sale at nearly every gun show I've ever been to which is a lot.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm a fan - I don't care for the smell so much (reminds me of my Grandpa's tackle-box for some reason or other) but I like what it does for my guns when I'm cleaning them. It's just a really nice kind of a CLP, and I always have a can of it on hand.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    There is no copper base layer under the NiB, so as far as I can imagine Ballistol is GTG on NiB parts.

What I will do is call WMD just to make sure and then post what they officially say. I really want to use Ballistol since it's cheap to use if you dilute.

dev

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2011
    I just got off the phone with WMD guns and they replied that the NB plating does not have any copper in it. They also said they too use Balistol without a problem and let me know that if the coating comes off for any reason they will re coat for the life time of the item. Balistol it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom