• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I have two of them.

One is a .308 and the other is a 300 Win Mag.

They both shoot pretty freakin' good for the short money.

I'll post a video of how they shoot at 100 yards once I get them zeroed in. For now I'm using the cheap scopes that they came with. Seeing as to how well they shoot I may put Leupold scopes on both of them.

BTW- I'm shooting hand-loads with Hornady 150 grain FMJBT bullets in both loads. CCI Large Rifle primers in the .308 and Win. Large Rifle Magnum primers in the 300 Win Mag rounds. I'm using Win 748 powder for the .308 and IMR 4350 powder for the 300 Win Mag rounds (minimum loads).

This was the first time I tried to hand load rounds for these rifles.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Well Alright ! ( insert high five )

I'll assist....okay?

high five.jpg

high5.png

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I have two of them.

One is a .308 and the other is a 300 Win Mag.

They both shoot pretty freakin' good for the short money.

I'll post a video of how they shoot at 100 yards once I get them zeroed in. For now I'm using the cheap scopes that they came with. Seeing as to how well they shoot I may put Leupold scopes on both of them.

BTW- I'm shooting hand-loads with Hornady 150 grain FMJBT bullets in both loads. CCI Large Rifle primers in the .308 and Win. Large Rifle Magnum primers in the 300 Win Mag rounds. I'm using Win 748 powder for the .308 and IMR 4350 powder for the 300 Win Mag rounds (minimum loads).

This was the first time I tried to hand load rounds for these rifles.

What is your definition of “shooting pretty freaking good”, if they’re not zeroed in yet? Not sure I understand this one.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    It’s taken a long time for that video to appear. I had a 770 in 300 Win Mag quite a few years ago. I got it in a trade and did not really want it. I also got ammo for it and decided to shoot it. I was not impressed by it. Groups were not great, action was not smooth, the whole rifle felt cheap. Traded it back off.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not Striper , but the obvious answer would be shooting tight groups, but not yet dialed for those tight groups to hit desired POI .

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    What is your definition of “shooting pretty freaking good”, if they’re not zeroed in yet? Not sure I understand this one.

He is claiming that he is seeing 1/2 MOA and wants to know if running ELD's will help him tighten up the groups on the 770 in 308... Check the Reloading section. But he quotes numerous YouTube reviewers saying it is an accurate rifle that is sub-MOA. :rolleyes:

It’s taken a long time for that video to appear. I had a 770 in 300 Win Mag quite a few years ago. I got it in a trade and did not really want it. I also got ammo for it and decided to shoot it. I was not impressed by it. Groups were not great, action was not smooth, the whole rifle felt cheap. Traded it back off.

You aren't the only one that thinks that way about the 770.

I'm not Striper , but the obvious answer would be shooting tight groups, but not yet dialed for those tight groups to possible hit desired POI .

FIFY :D

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    He is claiming that he is seeing 1/2 MOA and wants to know if running ELD's will help him tighten up the groups on the 770 in 308... Check the Reloading section. But he quotes numerous YouTube reviewers saying it is an accurate rifle that is sub-MOA. :rolleyes:

He said his is minute of deer.

my 770 has scored multiple kills on Whitetail this season. Hit exactly where I aimed with my reloads. I'm not saying it's a precision bench rifle but it holds it's own as far as I'm concerned.

But says YouTube is claimed sub-MOA accuracy out of 770s.

Reviewers on YouTube have reported sub MOA on their 770s.

But I loved where he questioned if Ed Shell had any idea what he was talking about. :sad20::sad20::lol2::lol2:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It's not like he forgot to tighten up his suppressor, and then launched it down-range with the 1st shot of the day...

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I took the rifle out on Friday since the weather was warmer and the range was dry. I used the 168 gr. ELD Match bullets but they were heavier than the 110 gr. SST bullets I used to zero the rifle so I moved the scope "up" 8 notches and 2 notches to the right.

The next bullet hit on the left side of the little orange stick-on bullseye you can buy about anywhere. The bullet after that hit on the right side of the bullseye circle. I'll post a pic of it. There was a 20-30 mph crosswind so I decided to wait until I get a calm day to see how it would shoot a 3 or 5 shot group.

I was thinking of upgrading to a Remington 783 but I don't know if I can get much better than this with it.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    770 vs 783 is peaches vs pears .

770 is a unique action, that essentially the bbls can not be replaced/ changed .

783 was an Mark X bbl'ed action , mounted in a laminated stock, that is same design as a M700 ADL .

Personally I like Mark X actions, and M700ADL shaped laminated stocks , but that's me . You like your 770's , are pleased with their performance , and they obviously meet your typical hunting requirements . I won't try to talk you out of what works for you, and pleases you .

Added - A M788 is better than either , but you didn't ask that question .

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I looked at some old Rem 788s tonight. I saw the youtube vids on them and was curious. There was a 7MM-08 and a couple of 243s.

I realize that the 770 is a throwaway gun but most of them seem to be nowadays anyway- just at different levels. They're like cars in that respect. Wear 'em out and just get a new one.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    770 vs 783 is peaches vs pears .

770 is a unique action, that essentially the bbls can not be replaced/ changed .

783 was an Mark X bbl'ed action , mounted in a laminated stock, that is same design as a M700 ADL .

Personally I like Mark X actions, and M700ADL shaped laminated stocks , but that's me . You like your 770's , are pleased with their performance , and they obviously meet your typical hunting requirements . I won't try to talk you out of what works for you, and pleases you .

Added - A M788 is better than either , but you didn't ask that question .

The 700 ADL doesn't have the pillars or has the barrel free floated. The 783 has both.

Maybe the 788 may be better than either but the cost is about 3 or 4 times and they're way older. Parts? What if the 788 wasn't properly cared for and the barrel is shot? A gamble at best.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Opps . A stock of same external shape as M700 ADL .

788s prices today are driven by demand and scariticy . Particulary those in 7-08 . The 9 lug bolt design and ultra fast lock time were unique to the 788 . Barells are replaceable in the usual manner .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom