• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Last Fall I was hunting from a spot that I guess you would describe as a ridge overlooking a cornfield. There is a wood line about 130 yards from my spot. I'm probably at a 25 degree angle from a deer in that cornfield. It could be steeper or might not be.

I had zeroed my .308 rifle on a level surface at 100 yards but when I shot at deer I completely missed them. I changed scopes but wonder if the angle makes a difference or was it the scope? I didn't get another chance to shoot from that spot after I changed scopes. I was right on when I shot at another deer that was level to me later that season.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Not enough difference at 130 yards and 25o to matter.

Also, 25o is pretty steep and most people tend to overestimate departure angle.

Apply your "Rifleman's Rule":
    Cos of 25o is 0.906
    .906 x 130 yards is 118 yards.... the difference between 100 yards, 118 yards and 130 yards is probably less than an inch - not enough to matter.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Not enough difference at 130 yards and 25o to matter.

Also, 25o is pretty steep and most people tend to overestimate departure angle.

Apply your "Rifleman's Rule":
    Cos of 25o is 0.906
    .906 x 130 yards is 118 yards.... the difference between 100 yards, 118 yards and 130 yards is probably less than an inch - not enough to matter.

Yeah. Odds are better that you probably pushed your shot and shoot under the deer. I had that happen to me aiming too low and couldn’t figure it out. Double checked in the field on a strip of TP and it was hitting roughly point of aim. Checked at the range later, same deal. Then I shoot off hand without support and realized unless I was being really careful I was pulling shots about 3” low and 2” right at 50yds. I was aiming a bit low right figuring I was going to pull the shot! Nope, should really have been aiming a bit high and dead center of vitals and both missed shots would have connected with their hearts the way they were standing. Instead I was aiming low for heart shots and went under and if I pulled it I figured it was along hit. New trigger helps as my old one was a pretty heavy pull.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I was using shooting sticks. I took it for granted that I was going to harvest at least one deer that night. I missed not one but two deer. Guess it had to be the cheap scope.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I was using shooting sticks. I took it for granted that I was going to harvest at least one deer that night. I missed not one but two deer. Guess it had to be the cheap scope.

And sometimes shit happens :shrug:

Two years ago i missed a deer with my muzzleloader at 25 yards. :o

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    And sometimes shit happens :shrug:

Two years ago i missed a deer with my muzzleloader at 25 yards. :o

I haven't had it that bad, but I shot under spike at 80yds and then over its shoulder (or I think it was over its shoulder) as it ran. Then later that day I shot under and then over a really nice 6-pt at around 60yds.

Nada the rest of that season. I had gotten a really big 5-pt during early ML at around 80yds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom