• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I'm pretty sure I shot a monster buck tonight. I'm sure I hit him but he ran into the woods at dark. I was hoping to find him crumpled to the ground at the edge of the cornfield but no dice. I've always heard that letting the deer pass on it's own is the best so I'll go back in the morning.

It will be below freezing tonight so I'm hoping the meat will be OK. It's also going to be raining hard in the morning or it might be snowing so I'm going to be forced to use the Deer Sleigh'r I have. I may have to get some help but I read that it can carry a very heavy deer so we'll see.

Hope you recover him.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    (Not a hunter here ) But ... I thought you need to dress out the meat so some sort of gland would not spoil the meat , and leaving it would produce bad meat ??

possumman

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2011
    Pikesville Md
    You can leave it overnight and go search in the am but chances are the woodland creatures will have gotten to it and eaten a good portion of it. I shot a deer a few years ago in the morning and couldn't find it for a few hours---in that time the foxes got to it and chewed into its butt pretty good.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    (Not a hunter here ) But ... I thought you need to dress out the meat so some sort of gland would not spoil the meat , and leaving it would produce bad meat ??

The guts and natural decomposition, particularly if anything got punctured by a projectile or tree branch or whatever. Get the guts out and it'll normally be alright.

Knocking down moose and caribou, leave the fur, bones, and guts. You'll still make plenty of trips.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I'm pretty sure I shot a monster buck tonight. I'm sure I hit him but he ran into the woods at dark. I was hoping to find him crumpled to the ground at the edge of the cornfield but no dice. I've always heard that letting the deer pass on it's own is the best so I'll go back in the morning.

It will be below freezing tonight so I'm hoping the meat will be OK. It's also going to be raining hard in the morning or it might be snowing so I'm going to be forced to use the Deer Sleigh'r I have. I may have to get some help but I read that it can carry a very heavy deer so we'll see.

Did you find any blood? How far a shot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom