• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    The law exempts C&R license holders. However federal law all you need to be is a C&R holder as the buyer. Under the proposed MD law the buyer AND seller must be C&R license holders. I am not sure it makes a distinction of seller FFL-01 and buyer FFL-03.

There don’t appear to be provisions excepting the 7-day wait and 1 per 30 day. I don’t read the intent of the law is applying a 7-day wait and 1 per 30 on C&R license holders for C&R firearms. But intent, what the law says and what MSP says the interpretation is are three different things.

We will find out what it all says and means eventually. I am still hoping it is withdrawn and never sees the light of day again.

To be clear a designated collector only helps you with regulated firearms (this includes C&R handguns, you just don’t need an HQL to buy C&R handguns) by exempting you from the 1 per 30 day or 2 in 60 limit.

The LQGL proposed law does not recognize designated collectors status for long guns.

If I were a betting man, the rework of the law is going to take too long and too many other frogs to boil. They’ll rewrite it to bring long guns in to line with handguns for all intents and purposes (same license probably, just under 21 can’t buy handguns), probably recognize designated collectors and maybe do things like specifically exempt C&R holders from 7-day waits and stuff.

No floppy idea though. During the hearing it seemed like there were a few dem law makers who seemed thoughtful and/or admitted some changes needed to be made to the proposed law. So I really doubt they will try to pass it as written.

^^This plain and simple. Designated Collector (is Maryland only) and C & R (Federal) are unrelated and one doesn't help obtain the other

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    ^^This plain and simple. Designated Collector (is Maryland only) and C & R (Federal) are unrelated and one doesn't help obtain the other

May not be entirely true!

My Designated Collector letter did not come for more than a month so I called to inquire about it. I was told one was not being issued because I had not purchased a regulated firearm since the 80s. When I told them that I possess an 03 FFL, the lady said she would get it out that day.

Although the law does not require an 03 FFL to be a Designate Collector, the people issuing the letters seem to have taken it upon themselves to add some unpublished requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom