• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedluvn

Dec 23, 2019
    Baltimore County
    I have been loading .45 ACP since I can remember and my Dad did back in the 60s before me. We only had brass with large pistol primers on the .45 ACP so a little confused here?

I have all of my father’s reloading supplies and I see that he had a case of large pistol primers.
    I’m looking at some .45 ACP that I recently deprimed and dry tumbled. I will assume that the brass that I have all take large primers. Can someone tell me around what time period did the small primer .45 ACP become available?
    How common are they. It sounds like a competition round. Am I correct?

bpm32

Nov 26, 2010
    I have all of my father’s reloading supplies and I see that he had a case of large pistol primers.
    I’m looking at some .45 ACP that I recently deprimed and dry tumbled. I will assume that the brass that I have all take large primers. Can someone tell me around what time period did the small primer .45 ACP become available?

No, they were invented several years ago in a Guatemalan insane asylum. No serious competition shooter would ever intentionally shoot small primer 45 Auto, although each of them does live in fear of seeing one and accidentally touching it.

I have honestly encountered more copperheads at the range than small primer 45 brass, and thank John Moses Browning for that.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It came about with the lead free ammo.

A major source of lead in shooting is the lead azide in the primers. So they developed a lead free primer.

Since most of the major calibers for the lead free market are small primer, they decided it was easier to make small primer .45 brass than make a large lead free primer, just for .45.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Best guess....I'd say its been 12 years ago or so now since they first reared their ugly case heads. They are plenty common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom