• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Looking for suggestions for a HARD Case to carry two long rifles, something along the lines of the Pelican line. Not looking for a cheap thin plastic but tough stuff. Has to have soft foam filled, Not looking to brake the bank but looking to protect a long rifle and scope. Any past experiences of what not to buy will also help. ;)

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    We use a pelican 1750 and stow both competition rifles inside soft cases inside. Took out some of the pelican foam to make this work. Travel all over the country with no damage. Competition sights are stowed in their own pelican box and transported inside the gear bag

Consider taking the glass off and packing in its own case (May be able to carry on - though check).

baf33d4d26b5b7ef27c106117edebf90.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

gre24ene

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2012
    I just bought a "Vault" which is made by Pelican. It's a 2 rifle case and I a happy with it. It has the full foam as apposed to the pick-n-pluck foam. I used an electric carving knife to cut it out. Then I sprayed "flex sealer" on the foam and it turned out really nice. Bunch of videos on Youtube.

AOW162435

Jan 16, 2019
    Ellicott City
    I have numerous Pelican cases for other uses, but purchased an SKB iSeries 4909 (single rifle case) a few years ago to store & transport a Mauser. Very nicely made, robust, and reasonably priced.
    I’m currently shopping for another case to hold a Ruger Precision Rifle and may pick up another SKB. Made in the US.

Andreas

arts

Nov 14, 2014
    Pelicans are very nice. If I were to buy another I would shop them first. If you budget allows get an airline rated case.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I picked up one of these for my 338 and its great for just over $100

edit: I paid about $120 when they go on sale

I like these also, a couple of cans of plasticote spray paint keeps all the pluck and pull together after plucking and pulling the shape you want.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Looking for suggestions for a HARD Case to carry two long rifles, something along the lines of the Pelican line. Not looking for a cheap thin plastic but tough stuff. Has to have soft foam filled, Not looking to brake the bank but looking to protect a long rifle and scope. Any past experiences of what not to buy will also help. ;)

It’s pretty expensive and you’ve gotta jump through a hoop or two. My recommendation is a CMP hard case. It’s really very nice. It’ll fit two Garands in it easy. Only costs about $680 and you get a free rack grade Garand with purchase :lol2:

dakota

USMC
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2012
    Washington County
    I have one of the Plano 52” all weather cases for my long gun. Not sure how they compare to other brands, but it’s heavy duty, has wheels and locks. It could hold 2 long guns easily.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    The harbor freight apache cases are really nice for the price. I have one of their smaller cases and it is pretty tough.

https://www.harborfreight.com/9800-weatherproof-protective-rifle-case-long-black-64520.html

I second this. Make sure to print out a 20% off coupon to take with you and it's half the price of a pelican brand case. The biggest difference I've found from the pelicans to the apache is the soft touch handle material. Aside from that they seem to be almost identical.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    If you can find an old Starlight case, get it. They went out of business a while ago, but their cases had better latches etc than Pelican, every bit as durable, and lighter.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    I looked at a number of suggested hard cases, the Pelican line looked to be the best built latches and foam, but a price point more then double that of the Apache. I plan on using it to only transport my target rifles to and from the range and never ship or fly with it. I ended up going with the Apache line at around $120 with the discount, Thank for the suggestions/inputs.:thumbsup:

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I looked at a number of suggested hard cases, the Pelican line looked to be the best built latches and foam, but a price point more then double that of the Apache. I plan on using it to only transport my target rifles to and from the range and never ship or fly with it. I ended up going with the Apache line at around $120 with the discount, Thank for the suggestions/inputs.:thumbsup:

It will definitely be good for what you are doing. The one thing that is annoying with the Apache as if it is hot out and the case gets warm, it seems it will start flexing making it a little more of a pain to latch it. One day I'll get a Pelican, but the Apache has been fine for my rifle.

mdbassplayer

Feb 1, 2017
    I can second the Pelican Vault line for being decent quality that holds my two bolt actions securely and safely for a couple of years now.

Plus if you ever need to reconfigure its pretty easy to get new foam for Pelican cases, many people sell it in various types - I have no idea how hard it is to get new foam for other brands.

Post up in a year or so with how the case you got holds up. Saving money on cases is worth it if I ever need more... more money for ammo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom