• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I purchased a 22 caliber silencer back in February and just called the ATF to check on the status because I expected it to be back very soon. the lady told me that they didn't receive my application until July. My FFL assures me that he mailed it just a few days after I completed it. I asked the woman whether they were closed due to the pandemic and she assured me that they were processing paperwork the whole time . Something doesn't add up. Has anyone else had this issue? To say that I'm just slightly pissed off is an understatement

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I purchased a 22 caliber silencer back in February and just called the ATF to check on the status because I expected it to be back very soon. the lady told me that they didn't receive my application until July. My FFL assures me that he mailed it just a few days after I completed it. I asked the woman whether they were closed due to the pandemic and she assured me that they were processing paperwork the whole time . Something doesn't add up. Has anyone else had this issue? To say that I'm just slightly pissed off is an understatement

When did they cash the check? That is when they received it.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    They charged my credit card in July. There's no way they received it in July if it was mailed in February. Someone isn't telling the truth and I have no reason to doubt my FFL. This isn't the first time I've bought one through him.

The fact that the immediate blame is not going to USPS... is the only shocking thing here...

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    unless you get someone at the gun shop to admit "yea your app fell behind the desk" you will never know if it was them, ATF or USPS. I mail my own forms USPS certified and tracked mail to the NFA and CLEO(proof to keep in my reccords). I know when it was mailed, received, and when my check was cashed, then I relax and call 6 months later to check status and verify "pending" date.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    90% chance your shop sat on it for four months before submitting the paperwork. Don't buy from them again, at least not NFA stuff.

The fact that the immediate blame is not going to USPS... is the only shocking thing here...

Yeah after I posted this I gave that some consideration as well usually USPS just flat out loses mail and it's never to be seen again. I did not know that mailing the forms yourself was an option but I think I will be doing that from now on period and I think I will use FedEx instead of USPS. It cost a little more but it won't result in a five-month delay

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I just got 3 Form 4 suppressors approved at around 4 months each. I don’t know if it was a batch approval because the stamps came in at the rate of about one a week. Just happened to be out of town so I couldn’t pick them up as singletons. While waiting even 4 months for a gun muffler is grating, it is still the fastest I’ve ever been approved. Does that anecdote mean ATF didn’t screw up with your paperwork? Absolutely not, just providing a lone datapoint to suggest that they are still consistently at work.

I would definitely be suspicious of your dealer and the good ol USPS too.

Jakedasnake

Aug 11, 2012
    I purchased a 22 caliber silencer back in February and just called the ATF to check on the status because I expected it to be back very soon. the lady told me that they didn't receive my application until July. My FFL assures me that he mailed it just a few days after I completed it. I asked the woman whether they were closed due to the pandemic and she assured me that they were processing paperwork the whole time . Something doesn't add up. Has anyone else had this issue? To say that I'm just slightly pissed off is an understatement

I filed for a form 1, and they denied it, saying they never received my fingerprint cards in August. All of which was a blatant lie. Resent them, and this time I got a signature for whom collected them, and day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    90% chance your shop sat on it for four months before submitting the paperwork. Don't buy from them again, at least not NFA stuff.

****Yea. I kind of agree that this is the most likely scenario given the details the OP wrote. Many shops are swamped and NFA stuff is known to take some time so it is perhaps not a priority for them versus folks just frantic to buy anything in stock and not requiring as much paperwork and hassle, tax stamps, a trust, etc...

I hope the OP gets this all straightened out soon. It sucks having to wait so long for a supressor. Sucks having to wait for much of anything, but NFA stuff really irks me due to paperwork, hassle, the tax stamp, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom