• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    My 15 year old daughter who shoots, and has been shooting since she was 8 has decided she wants to learn how to throw knives. Unfortunately, I know nothing about throwing knives. She would like to shoot from the grip rather than the blade (I am assuming there are differences there). Can anyone recommend a good starter set? Nothing made in China please. Thanks in advance.

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    Make sure the “grip” material is capable of withstanding multiple impacts. Solid throwers are popular because of that, string or cord wrap is fine but grip material that can break, will. There are really a ton of choices.

Roneut

Oct 10, 2010
    If you're looking for something made here in the US, there are a lot of hobby smiths that forge throwing knives who sell on Etsy and Ebay. Throwers are very simple and tend to be all one piece of metal, as the other poster said, handle scales tend to break with the repeated impacts. Throwers only need to be sharp at the tip and don't really need an edge all the way like a regular knife. This also makes them safer to handle, especially for holding by the blade end

Regarding that last part, most knives can be thrown by the blade or handle, as it's more about the throwing method. The common style involves getting the knife to rotate a certain number of times (half-turn, whole turn, 1.5 turn, 2 turn) based on the distance to the target. Holding by the blade is used to achieve the half and 1.5 turn throwing distances. There is also "no-spin" throwing which is always held by the handle. Finally, there is a Japanese style of throwing usually used for bo-shurikan (basically a cylindrical spike) where the knife is held in the flat hand with the point past the finger tips, and then accelerated forward in a 1/4 turn similar to no-spin throwing.

mdbassplayer

Feb 1, 2017
    Anyone have any good online resources on technique? Are there any classes anywhere in MD? I would love to be able to find a class for my wife.

sundaeman

MDS Supporter
    Sep 16, 2008
    Gil Hibben knives have been around for years. Not much to break and not too pricey.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Another vote to swing by Edgeworks.

I know you said US made but I would suggest Cold Steel for a starter set. Try to handle some to see what weight seems to work well. Another plus for Cold Steel is they have a various weights, get them from Midway and I think all CS stuff ships free. I find the light versions (of anyone's) real frustrating.

If she gets into it then buy a more $$ set. I have a lot of stuff which my Boys thought they were interested in but it didn't stick. If you're buying at $100/pr and want 3-5 it adds up.

I would suggest putting orange duct tape on anything you're throwing if outside. It is pretty amazing how they will slide under a few leaves and then you're fetching the metal detector............

Hawks are also great to throw and I would suggest looking at throwing stars as they are nice when novice come by. For me, the knives are the hardest to get used to. I would try no spin if you have the knack for it.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Another vote to swing by Edgeworks.

I know you said US made but I would suggest Cold Steel for a starter set. Try to handle some to see what weight seems to work well. Another plus for Cold Steel is they have a various weights, get them from Midway and I think all CS stuff ships free. I find the light versions (of anyone's) real frustrating.

If she gets into it then buy a more $$ set. I have a lot of stuff which my Boys thought they were interested in but it didn't stick. If you're buying at $100/pr and want 3-5 it adds up.

I would suggest putting orange duct tape on anything you're throwing if outside. It is pretty amazing how they will slide under a few leaves and then you're fetching the metal detector............

Hawks are also great to throw and I would suggest looking at throwing stars as they are nice when novice come by. For me, the knives are the hardest to get used to. I would try no spin if you have the knack for it.

Very good advice. Thank you. I think I’ll take her to Edgeworks and have her try out a few.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011

Attachments

• Cold Steel Sure Strike.JPG
      Cold Steel Sure Strike.JPG
      11.8 KB · Views: 286

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members