• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    With ammo and gun prices so high, my question is, what is the best way to shoot 7.62x39? I just want some range fun. Should I go AK pistol or SKS?

I haven't seen any Ak pistols I would want. (I don't want a short AK barrel). A decent SKS would be fine too.

Based on gun prices, which is better to shoot SKS or AK pistol? Which would be easier to find?

I want a barrel on the ak pistol of at least 10 inches.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    The PSA AK-P has a 10.5" barrel and is on the roster. You may have to get a dealer to order one for you, sometimes PSA is iffy regarding what they send here to MD, that isn't a stripped AR lower.

An SKS is always a good idea and can be found around $400 for a decent one. You'll be limited to the fixed 10rd magazine because Maryland, but at least you'll have the bayonet when you run out of ammo. :D

There's the Ruger Mini-30 too.

MocoJed

Nov 16, 2015
    Loco Moco
    Or if you like your AR, you can keep your AR... just put a 7.62x39 upper on it. No FFL needed, cash and carry from LGS or just order an upper and have it shipped to your door.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    The PSA AK-P has a 10.5" barrel and is on the roster. You may have to get a dealer to order one for you, sometimes PSA is iffy regarding what they send here to MD, that isn't a stripped AR lower.

An SKS is always a good idea and can be found around $400 for a decent one. You'll be limited to the fixed 10rd magazine because Maryland, but at least you'll have the bayonet when you run out of ammo. :D

Oh I didn't even see the AK-P. I may head to my local store to talk to them about it.

The SKS price isn't bad, hopefully the pandemic didn't raise the price too much.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

$400 if you have a time machine, or get very lucky. Beater SKSs are going for what Russians in good condition went for a while ago.

At recent shows I've been seeing $700 and up for SKSs, $1100 or so for Mini-30's.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The SKS is generally a pure range blaster play. Despite what you've heard, they are not very accurate, and the limitation of a 10rd fixed mag hurts.

I'm not a big guy for AK pistols, especially with the way braces are these days. But it is probably the better of your two options for now. I personally would pick a Zastava PAP M92 over the PSA, but your choice.

A dark horse option to look at is the PSA KS-47 gen2. You take your chances with PSA's QC, but I think it's going to be your best option below $1000, short of finding a really cheap used Sig 556R.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    Or if you like your AR, you can keep your AR... just put a 7.62x39 upper on it. No FFL needed, cash and carry from LGS or just order an upper and have it shipped to your door.

This probably your best bet for recreational shooting. Just understand that 7.62x39 is not reliable for defensive purposes. They are notorious for misfeeds and bolts breaking. 300BLK is a better option for that.

I'm in the process of sourcing parts for a 7.62x39 upper. I'm having a hell of a time finding a 158 bolt.

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    VZ-58 or VZ-2008
    PTR-32
    CZ 527 (if you want a bolt action)
    M10X-Z
    CMMG Mutant (if you want something like an AR)

I just sold my AK pistol, because I don't trust what's going to happen with braces and some pistols, the ATF won't approve to SBR in Maryland.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    I really wanted the ks-47, but its not available. I did see sks are going up a lot in price. I have a 300blk but ammo is nearly impossible to find. I would much rather buy an ak pistol for $800 over a sks for that price.

I want semi auto. I completely forgot about the VZ, so thanks for that idea!

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    7.62x39 ammo has about doubled in price recently. Unless you've got lots of ammo already why look for a rifle you can't afford to shoot?

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    With ammo and gun prices so high, my question is, what is the best way to shoot 7.62x39? I just want some range fun. Should I go AK pistol or SKS?

I haven't seen any Ak pistols I would want. (I don't want a short AK barrel). A decent SKS would be fine too.

Based on gun prices, which is better to shoot SKS or AK pistol? Which would be easier to find?

I want a barrel on the ak pistol of at least 10 inches.

I am happy with this Draco 12.25 inch barrel. I have another one just like it that I am thinking of putting on Gunbroker.

EDIT: Here is a link showing the effectiveness of a short barreled AK (even with a 10” barrel he owns everything from 0-300 yards).

https://youtu.be/cvH3WhVp2H4

-

Attachments

• B577EF7F-B7F3-4A7E-9557-5D95422C3369.jpg
      B577EF7F-B7F3-4A7E-9557-5D95422C3369.jpg
      93.1 KB · Views: 359

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    The SKS is generally a pure range blaster play. Despite what you've heard, they are not very accurate, and the limitation of a 10rd fixed mag hurts.

I'm not a big guy for AK pistols, especially with the way braces are these days. But it is probably the better of your two options for now. I personally would pick a Zastava PAP M92 over the PSA, but your choice.

A dark horse option to look at is the PSA KS-47 gen2. You take your chances with PSA's QC, but I think it's going to be your best option below $1000, short of finding a really cheap used Sig 556R.

the sks barrel is accurate enough to make 200y hits on steel. What really sucks is the trigger. For that reason alone, I would rather shoot a mosin nagant for accuracy.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I am fortunate to have an SKS that has the Security Forces markings and it is more accurate than I am capable. A little work on the sear and trigger assembly have smoothed the trigger but the pull is still around 5 pounds. Even with it's 10 round mag limit, loading with quality stripper clips is faster than swapping magazines.

It is a ton of fun to shoot, even if not as economical as it has been traditionally.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I don't have an AK, nor AK pistol but have shot them. I have to shoot those at an 100yd outdoor range.
    Neither were accurate mostly due to the sights and short sight radius. Especially the pistol (no brace). hard to hold that steady offhand and get a good trigger pull with the trigger that was on it.
    AR pistol length upper (SBR) I"m just fine shooting steel at 100 yards with red dot
    for 7.62x39 I much prefer SKS or Vz2008/58
    I have found both of my SKS rifles (Russian and Chinese) just as accurate as most milsurps with similar ammo (tulamo is so so accurate ammo).
    Throw Tulamo Mosin or even 223 into something and you don't get great grouping. 2-4MOA @ 100 yards
    There will be exceptions to that but IMHO don't expect great accuracy from Tulamo stuff. I've hear people swear by it at the range talking amonst themselves, then out of curiosity look at their targets and think to myself, Match ammo or my reloads are WAY more accurate than that. The stuff can only do so well.

If I wanted accuracy out of 7.62x39 I sure would not go AK platform. But alas, I'm not an AK expert either.

Now, you said range fun. indoor at 25 yards, have at it!

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    I own 4 sks's, they're fun guns. No, they're not tack drivers but who cares? I have guns for that purpose, what was cheap ammo.... until now. When I die you guys can make offer for 1,000 rounds plus but until that time it's my second plinker which really isn't a plinker.:) If I make it to 100 the ammo will be gone but the guns remain.

This probably your best bet for recreational shooting. Just understand that 7.62x39 is not reliable for defensive purposes. They are notorious for misfeeds and bolts breaking. 300BLK is a better option for that.

I'm in the process of sourcing parts for a 7.62x39 upper. I'm having a hell of a time finding a 158 bolt.

They can be made to feed pretty reliably...Buy a quality upper (I have an AR-Stoner upper) and use C-Products mags. My AR 47 is reliable enough that I would trust it as a defense weapon.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    VZ-58 or VZ-2008
    PTR-32
    CZ 527 (if you want a bolt action)
    M10X-Z
    CMMG Mutant (if you want something like an AR)

^This^ very nice list reminds me of the Ruger 77 I came across at the Hickory Gun Show. Beautiful dark walnut w noteworthy figuring, still sharp, sharp checkering and a deep blue I normally didn’t associate with Ruger ... the seller’s asking wasn’t ridiculous but, I had other priorities at the time ... I’ve often thought about that rifle and wondered just how many of those Ruger made in x39?

OP, you probably already know this but, if you have the scratch now, get it cuz, I assume every day is gonna (roughly) add up to an additional $100 here, any minute now ... :mad54:

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    I shoot lots of 7.62x39 and order it by the case. Sometime ago I picked up a couple of C&R Chinese SKSs. Also got a CZ 527 carbine in the same caliber. The SKS is great shooting out to 100 yds and the CZ is very accurate with the Russian metal cased ammo. I have not gone with the AK pistols. Those look like a lot of fun, but not sure if that has a lot of practical use. The SKS should be more accurate than an AK due to the milled steel receiver, as long as you can make due with the rudimentary sights. Certainly these are short range rifles, but there is hardly anything that can go wrong with an SKS. It is a very reliable, sturdy rifle, which rarely has any failures to function. The Russkie ammo with leave a lot of powder residue after a range day, but it cleans up pretty well. My two SKSs cost me about $300 each when purchased a few years ago, but I would not sell them to cash in on the crazy prices available for resale. Once you get familiar with the unique features, you'll appreciate these robust little carbines. The SKS will keep on running long after other guns need repair or parts replaced. And they look pretty tame, despite having a big bayonet permanently attached to the barrel. And if you want to hunt, the CZ would be an excellent choice. Just put a low-powered scope on and it is good out to near 200 yds. Federal Fusion makes a 7.62x39 round perfect for hunting. Good luck in your quest.

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    7.62x39 ammo has about doubled in price recently. Unless you've got lots of ammo already why look for a rifle you can't afford to shoot?

It's not the price, its finding it. I can afford the new ammo, I just can't really find any rifle ammo anywhere.

Plus to be honest, I have wanted a 7.62 rifle for a good while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom