What to do with found firearms(pistols)?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I have done a lot of work with house flippers and renovation contractors, and I know of a few that have found random firearms in inside walls or attic insulation or what have you. (They have, in each case, been responsible for removing previous owner items as part of the contract, they were not stealing hidden items from the owner)
    I believe long guns are a non issue, as you can just keep them or sell them, with no real problem, but I know of two guys who have found pistols and have asked me what they should do with them. I have no idea what to tell them, except to turn in to the police or to see if they ever do one of those no questions asked, cash for gun deals, but I dont even know if they ever do those in MD.

First, am I correct about the long guns? I asked the sheriffs once during an eviction which turned up a shotgun, they said it was no problem, but they would appreciate it if the person taking it waiting until after they left, which was a bit of a puzzlement to me. I had them run it to make sure it didn't pop up as stolen, and afterwards they just left it on the sidewalk among all the other stuff removed from the house. I'd have thought they would rather it be just about anywhere else than laying on a sidewalk in a residential neighborhood.

Second, what should be done with the pistols? Turn in to police? I know some of these guys would throw them in the bay before walking in to the station with a potentially illegal handgun, that may or may not have been used in crime.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    This is pre 13, but when dealing with this type of thing I would take the serial number to the MSP barracks and inform them of what occurred and have them run the serial number. If it was not stolen the new owner would be asked to complete a transfer form.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    I'd take them to MSP. Maybe they were involved in a crime.

The useless spent shell casing scam was shutdown i thought. Even when it existed, no one took the firearm for analysis. They just ran the serial number. So long as it came back clean, they completed a transfer or voluntary registration form. But with HQL, its probably a bit different now. The handful of ones I was involved with all came back clean and it was registered in the new owners name. But again, all pre 2013. I dont remember if they needed anything to show ownership, like receipts from storage auction, eviction notice, or purchase of the house. One of the cases was a friend who stopped and went through the bags left on the side of the road and found a handgun in one of them. He asked me what to do and I told him what I have stated above. He didn't have proof but explained what happened to MSP.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    Thanks for the info guys. Even with the sanctuary status of this state, I dont think many of the guys I am thinking of would go this route. I will still let them know. I dont think anyone I know has found one in decent enough shape or valuable enough that I would want the hassle myself.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    Father found a handgun in an attic of foreclosure he bought. The answer from MSP was that because the gun was unknowingly bought without a 77R, that he couldn't have it and needed to turn it in.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Loose lips sink ships

+1.

If it really bothers you, take it to a reputable gun shop and just give it to them. If it’s a $50 rusted up piece of garbage, then turning it in at the police station is alright I guess.

Seen too many nice firearms get destroyed because somebody found a gun and turned it in.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    sy670.jpg

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Just like any good movie or TV show, I love when things start with a question and then we never resolve them.

Johnny5k

Ultimate Member
    Nov 24, 2020
    I dunno, I think the question was answered well enough to my satisfaction anyways. If I had any, I might be a little more interested in details, but I haven't been that lucky. Not sure I would take it if I were, depending on where it was found. These inside the wall guns, i think may have crimes associated with them.

We did have one house, where the guy had a safe, buried in the backyard, dead center under an above ground pool. It was empty, well, full of water, by the time I found it. Always wondered what he kept in there....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom