• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I am looking at an Alpha-X holster but am not sure of practicality in 3Gun as that is what I like to shoot the most.

Unless you are shooting a race open rig where you may not be able to get any kind of closed holster, I would recommend against and Alpha x for 3 gun. They are plenty secure and a great holster but the gun is fully exposed and will get beat up as you drop to the ground, roll around on gravel or concrete, or other surfaces. I also found that my front sight fiber optic broke out a few times from grinding the front of my gun up against something while contorted in a bad position trying to shoot under barriers.

I find that I’m almost always drawing on the run in 3 gun so the 0.25 seconds that I save drawing from the Alpha X doesn’t really matter anyway. They are great for USPSA, steel challenge, and falling steel though!

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    Unless you are shooting a race open rig where you may not be able to get any kind of closed holster, I would recommend against and Alpha x for 3 gun. They are plenty secure and a great holster but the gun is fully exposed and will get beat up as you drop to the ground, roll around on gravel or concrete, or other surfaces. I also found that my front sight fiber optic broke out a few times from grinding the front of my gun up against something while contorted in a bad position trying to shoot under barriers.

I find that I’m almost always drawing on the run in 3 gun so the 0.25 seconds that I save drawing from the Alpha X doesn’t really matter anyway. They are great for USPSA, steel challenge, and falling steel though!

As I will be doing USPSA, Steel Challenge, and falling steel as well, I might get one. They do have a discount right now.

Since I am doing only red dots not too worried about the fiber falling out, though I did have one fall out on the shadow 2 after a couple thousand rounds before getting it milled for optics. I always cary fiber, clippers, and a lighter. As well as 4 2032s and 4 1632s batteries (gave one away at the last match).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom