• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    The drilled receiver is the biggest issue, that can’t be fixed. It’s a sub $700 gun IMHO. If a correct rear sight can be staked properly on there it would at the least look correct, but will never again truly be whole.

To make it look right at the least would add a couple hundred more or so for a correct stock, and original rear flip sight.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    It has no (or very little) value as a collectors piece. It’s been a while, but I don’t recall those cut slots around the rear sight dovetail as being original (someone please chime in). Also, the obvious screw hole is a monstrosity. It’s just a shooter, so pay shooter prices. Maybe $600? I certainly wouldn’t buy it but you do you

Yea, the cuts are an added bonus (not). See picture I borrowed from net
    W5129-SI-7660.jpg

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    It has no (or very little) value as a collectors piece. It’s been a while, but I don’t recall those cut slots around the rear sight dovetail as being original (someone please chime in). Also, the obvious screw hole is a monstrosity. It’s just a shooter, so pay shooter prices. Maybe $600? I certainly wouldn’t buy it but you do you

I was looking at those too- looks like they may have broken the staking by brute force instead of finesse.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Offer him 350 to 400, gunsmithing isn't cheap. If not pay the grand for one that's correct and need nothing if you really want a real carbine.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Here’s a selection of stocks, on top,of everything else - known and unknown - you’re gonna wind up spending on it

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/search#query=Carbine stock

Great news it went through a mag wo any hiccups but, I would respectfully and politely go in low (really low: cracked stock, drilled receiver (ouuuuch!) etc., etc.

It’s a beater but, you aren’t the one to blame for it being beat that way ....

Best o’ Success and ...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Oh that makes my heart hurt. Not the stock, not the overall condition but the fact that bubba drilled the receiver. The stock could have been replaced.

What I see is a WWII configuration Saginaw S' G' not a common maker (balance of the Irwin Pederson contract) with all early features such as no bayo lug, pushbutton safety.

If you can get it cheap (and I mean cheap) I would buy it, slap a sight on it to cover up the hole and shoot the heck out of it.

That was a $1200 to $1700 gun with a lot of history before Bubba got it, now its worth somewhere between $300 and $400 as parts or a shooter.

Jd2020

Nov 20, 2020
    Queen Anne’s Co
    Thanks so much guys. I’ll toss it around but I’m leaning towards not buying it. If it has no real collectors value as is, and needs the rear sight area repaired, which is apparently been cut so that’s essentially permanent, and stock repaired, then really it’s just a shooter. And if it’s just a shooter than I’ll probably just get something else, stick to my original plan of a pcc in lever and/or a beretta storm carbine etc. my goodness that m1 handles like a 22 though, i was only plinking at 30 yards with a bad rear sight, and hitting our now deceased Halloween pumpkin but is sure fun to hold and shoot. Thanks again.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks so much guys. I’ll toss it around but I’m leaning towards not buying it. If it has no real collectors value as is, and needs the rear sight area repaired, which is apparently been cut so that’s essentially permanent, and stock repaired, then really it’s just a shooter. And if it’s just a shooter than I’ll probably just get something else, stick to my original plan of a pcc in lever and/or a beretta storm carbine etc. my goodness that m1 handles like a 22 though, i was only plinking at 30 yards with a bad rear sight, and hitting our now deceased Halloween pumpkin but is sure fun to hold and shoot. Thanks again.

Probably a good idea unless you can get it dirt cheap. They are fun guns to shoot, a little expensive to run but very soft shooting.

You should be able to pick up a decent example that is unmolested for around $1,000.

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Looking at the rifle it looks like it never went thru the post war rebuild. It looks like has a high wood stock and the earlier barrel band. If it wasn’t busted up it would be worth quite a bit I think. I’m not too knowledgeable about the current prices or even about M1 carbines in general. I wonder how much it would be worth if it was repaired and how much the repairs would cost. I wonder if the stock could be repaired easily.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You should be able to pick up a decent example that is unmolested for around $1,000.

Maybe un-bubba'd

But most in the $1000 range will be arsenal reconditioned and with the bayonet lug band, adjustable sight, and rotating safety.

If it can be repaired, as per the linked thread, I would say it worth more than people are saying.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Maybe un-bubba'd

But most in the $1000 range will be arsenal reconditioned and with the bayonet lug band, adjustable sight, and rotating safety.

If it can be repaired, as per the linked thread, I would say it worth more than people are saying.

Possibly but it will always be a restoration, its never going to be worth what an unmolested survivor will be a to a collector, if all the repairs are disclosed (which they should be). Agreed on pricing at $1,000 is a post WWII rebuild in all likelyhood. I paid a lot for my NPM in its original WWII config. As noted there probably is some parts money there if someone wanted to go through the trouble but there are costs in breaking it down and marketing the bits and pieces.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Agreed, it will not be worth as much as an unmolested one, but it may well be worth more than many typical carbines out there.

Saginaw. Flip sight, push button safety, no bayonet lug.

But even if you take you $1000 (which I think is low), it is worth more as in than $300 - $400 some people are saying.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Saginaw. Flip sight, push button safety, no bayonet lug.

Got that exact carbine in my gun locker...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom