• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    20 years overdue in my opinion. There were absolutely situations where we needed suppressors on night patrols and had to effectively write off a dozen or so after somebody getting attacked by wild dogs and firing a shot. Also a few situations of engaging across canals in vegetation or from inside of buildings where they would have been really helpful, not to mention setting up night ambushes on known high-IED areas.

And you really can't compare a functional tool to a decorative uniform item. If you have to maintain a tool because it enhances your performance then so be it, if you have to polish boots so they're extra shiny and the enemy can see you better that's something completely different. I mean maybe they should get rid of those overly-complicated, delicate, light-sensitive NVGs as well.

1/2, one of my old units, did the first test run of mass-issue suppressors about 10 years ago and the results were very positive. From what I understand, they're going to be issued at the company level to be issued out as needed depending on the mission, so it won't be something that the average private is going to constantly have in his kit and maintaining and instead they'll be checked out depending on the mission.

If you think all polishing was for was to make them look purty, you have absolutely no clue about your equipment.

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Is this because those combat earplug things didn't work out so well?

Funny in truth but pre-GWOT, many of us weren't even issued earplugs. My tinnitus is very real and hearing is sh!t. I absolutely should have some sort of support, hearing aids, something and at my age, that should not be the case and was completely avoidable.

I think I got issued my first pair of earplugs after M60 school and after quals on the M16, M9, M203, Mk19, M870, M2 and the M67 as well as more than a handful of flights on loud USAF planes etc.

Yeah, it was before the M24 familiarization course that I got ear plugs. That was like too little too late for me.

Last edited:

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Call came over the radio, Sierra 3 Romeo topside, ...I grabbed my M14 DMR, body armor and kevlar helmet(only wearing silkies). Climbed up the ladder in my room, through the hatch and running, sliding into position behind an M2 machine gunner...fired three rounds at RPG guy and his 2 AK buddies. No time to put ears in at that short of notice. My ears ring so bad some days its maddening! Miss all of it just the same...

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Where are they getting the money for suppressor? Here it is.

The U.S. Marine Corps is eliminating all of its tanks and most of its artillery to become a smaller, lighter force.
    The Marines are shifting towards the ability to seize small islands in the South China Sea during wartime.
    Marine aviation, law enforcement, and other arms will also face steep cuts or elimination.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Slight derail. There was a serious effort with clinical trials a few years ago to use autologous skin stem cells (i.e. cells from the patients own body that could be reprogrammed for different roles) in patients that had tinnitus to repair/replace hair cells in the inner ear. Thought it looked promising at some point.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Where are they getting the money for suppressor? Here it is.

The U.S. Marine Corps is eliminating all of its tanks and most of its artillery to become a smaller, lighter force.
    The Marines are shifting towards the ability to seize small islands in the South China Sea during wartime.
    Marine aviation, law enforcement, and other arms will also face steep cuts or elimination.

Good. All of this is a step in the right direction.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Slight derail. There was a serious effort with clinical trials a few years ago to use autologous skin stem cells (i.e. cells from the patients own body that could be reprogrammed for different roles) in patients that had tinnitus to repair/replace hair cells in the inner ear. Thought it looked promising at some point.

If you have more info on this, it would be of great interest.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I thought the Corps was going with the Surefire SOCOMs, which are sealed and very hardy, but maybe not.
    Boss's son, a young Marine reservist was just telling me they were all getting new M27, but their designated MGs were the only ones being issued suppressors. He couldn't tell me just yet, what suppressors they were getting.
    Big Marine Corps is issuing Knights Armament suppressors. Specifically the old NT-4 model that’s been around since the late 90s.

Should make those 9lb M27s feel even more front heavy . . .

5cary

MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Until they need them and can not get supporting fire from other branches.
    Right. The plan includes a much needed mission shift as well. If "they need them" they'll be doing it wrong.

Marines should have stopped being Army-Lite years ago. They'll still need light artillery, and light vehicles, but the rest needs to go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Right. The plan includes a much needed mission shift as well. If "they need them" they'll be doing it wrong.

Marines should have stopped being Army-Lite years ago. They'll still need light artillery, and light vehicles, but the rest needs to go.

Do they need their own "aviation" units including heli gunships?

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

Missions come into play. Why does the Army have helicopters, shouldn’t they be move to the Air Force? Should the aviation units on the aircraft carriers be moved over to the Air Force.

The USMC is an expeditionary force in readiness, forward deployed and available at a moments notice.

5cary

MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Missions come into play. Why does the Army have helicopters, shouldn’t they be move to the Air Force? Should the aviation units on the aircraft carriers be moved over to the Air Force.

The USMC is an expeditionary force in readiness, forward deployed and available at a moments notice.

I would argue that naval aviation differs greatly from Air Force. Same with the Army's rotary wing aircraft. There is crossover, of course.

There's VERY little difference between Marine aviation and Naval aviation as far as capabilities go. Following the logic that Marines need their own aviation assets because "no one else can provide them" would also mean that the Marines should be crewing and commanding the LHA's, LPD's and LST's, etc. Marines need to stick to amphibious direct action. Either make it a small, light seaborne force, or give them everything under the sun and compromise the basic skill set.

And this is not an "all or nothing" prospect either. Of course there should be crossover, but the Marines don't need a primary MOS for "Refrigeration Technician" either. It's been a LONG time since "Every Marine is a Rifleman" has actually been true (IMHO).

Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    Missions come into play. Why does the Army have helicopters, shouldn’t they be move to the Air Force?

No way the Army is going to hand its helicopters to the Air Force. Air Cav was a concept invented in Vietnam war. It is a highly mobile unit that can be deployed quickly. You can move Air Cav troops from one hill top to another in just matter of minutes. Heli gunships are important too because they need a cleared landing zone and close air support. Rotary wings fit nicely in Army fighting doctrine.

Don't forget the Air Force came out of Army Air Corps!

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

That was a HUGE battle.

Bottom line is, USAF has no real desire to do close air support. So the armed helis give them some support.

Minor

May 17, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Thank you!

Call came over the radio, Sierra 3 Romeo topside, ...I grabbed my M14 DMR, body armor and kevlar helmet(only wearing silkies). Climbed up the ladder in my room, through the hatch and running, sliding into position behind an M2 machine gunner...fired three rounds at RPG guy and his 2 AK buddies. No time to put ears in at that short of notice. My ears ring so bad some days its maddening! Miss all of it just the same...

Very cool story! Appreciate your service! And all the other Vets on this site

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom