• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    And by quality I’m referring to MPI/HPT C158 bolts, phosphate CL carriers the likes of Colt, DD, BCM, SOLGW, Toolcraft, etc. None of that fancy, “enhanced, NiB, nano pvd, coating of the week nonsense.

End rant.
    I have two AR rifles. One has a standard mil-spec Parkerized BCG, the other is a PSA nickel boron. I much prefer the NiB to the mil-spec. It's a better BCG in just about every single way.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I don't want to hijack, but would like to ask. Are these all for new builds, or do people wear out their bcg more often than mine seem to.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It's smoother, dehorned with no sharp or rough edges that bind, the level off polishing is better and they're are no machining marks anywhere, the bolt moves in the bolt carrier slickly and cleanly, and it's super simple to clean - it simply wipes off clean with little need of any kind of solvent - nothing sticks to it.

Functionally there's probably very little difference, but it's clearly better made than the mil-spec. Remember, mil-spec = the minimum requirements for the item, not top-notch. My brand new Colt M4 issued rifle for the Guard is proof of that.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    It's smoother, dehorned with no sharp or rough edges that bind, the level off polishing is better and they're are no machining marks anywhere, the bolt moves in the bolt carrier slickly and cleanly, and it's super simple to clean - it simply wipes off clean with little need of any kind of solvent - nothing sticks to it.

Functionally there's probably very little difference, but it's clearly better made than the mil-spec. Remember, mil-spec = the minimum requirements for the item, not top-notch. My brand new Colt M4 issued rifle for the Guard is proof of that.

Got it. If you've got any of those mil spec BCGs I'll take them off your hands. Better than filling up the scrap yards.

I'll come pick them up or pay for shipping.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Got it. If you've got any of those mil spec BCGs I'll take them off your hands. Better than filling up the scrap yards.

I'll come pick them up or pay for shipping.
    I've got not problem with the mil-spec - they get the job done, but out of the box they aren't nearly as slick as a nicer BCG.

As an example, I bought a blem Del-Ton rifle HBAR rifle kit - came with everything but the stripped lower, and it came with the standard Parkerized mil-spec BCG.

When I first started messing with this rifle, if there was an empty magazine installed, I could not pull the charging handle - it would bind if there was any upward pressure on the BCG. Comparing it side-by-side with the PSA NiB BCG, I noticed that it was much rougher in overall finish, so I went about carefully polishing certain areas with fine emery paper to dehorn it, and I was successful in that endeavor. It now functions properly and doesn't bind. Yes, I was VERY careful about what I was doing and didn't remove metal from anything critical, not that I removed much metal at all anyway - the metal of a BCG is pretty danged hard.

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I've got not problem with the mil-spec - they get the job done, but out of the box they aren't nearly as slick as a nicer BCG.

As an example, I bought a blem Del-Ton rifle HBAR rifle kit - came with everything but the stripped lower, and it came with the standard Parkerized mil-spec BCG.

When I first started messing with this rifle, if there was an empty magazine installed, I could not pull the charging handle - it would bind if there was any upward pressure on the BCG. Comparing it side-by-side with the PSA NiB BCG, I noticed that it was much rougher in overall finish, so I went about carefully polishing certain areas with fine emery paper to dehorn it, and I was successful in that endeavor. It now functions properly and doesn't bind. Yes, I was VERY careful about what I was doing and didn't remove metal from anything critical, not that I removed much metal at all anyway - the metal of a BCG is pretty danged hard.

Not debating your experience or preference. I assume you have done your due diligence with the BCGs you prefer.

I'm just putting it out there for people that don't like phosphate BCGs. Ill take them regardless of condition.

RJRjr

Aug 26, 2017
    cecil county
    I remember being in a certain gun store around 2014 just looking around. A guy had just bought a Colt 6721.and was talking to the salesman about possible upgrades and accessories. The guy behind the counter said " the first thing you should do is get rid of that bcg and buy one of these fail-zero nickel boron ones"

omegared24

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2011
    Ijamsville, MD
    I remember being in a certain gun store around 2014 just looking around. A guy had just bought a Colt 6721.and was talking to the salesman about possible upgrades and accessories. The guy behind the counter said " the first thing you should do is get rid of that bcg and buy one of these fail-zero nickel boron ones"

I was in what I assume is the same store and they told me flat out that is exactly what they recommend. When I asked what they do with those Colt BCGs they said they trash them.

I have yet to get a call since I left my name and number so they don't go to waste.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Of course he’s just trying to get you to buy another BCG......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

Now there's a sure-fire way to build customer loyalty. :sad20:

gremlin42

Apr 16, 2020
    variable
    When building my rifle recently I ordered what was ostensibly an Aero BCG on Gunbroker, it was from the only reputable seller advertising a name brand BCG so I jumped on it. It did not have a logo and wasn’t chrome-lined, so I feel like I may have been duped, but in the interest of putting an AR together in these strange times I chose to not raise a stink about it. My friend who helped with the build swapped the extractor spring with a better one and gave it the thumbs-up otherwise. It does bum me out that I got all these high quality parts and the BCG is the mystery meat. I suppose if legit high quality ones become available in the near future I should snag one. I have heard about quite a few cheapo parts being sold as name brand lately so it seems like a rampant practice.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I have only 1 nickel boron bcg. I keep it as my back up. I bought it from a pic armory back in the day. It Runs fine, but if I knew what I know now then, I would have went with a chrome bcg from rock river arms instead, ( chad approved) Or a solgw phosphate carrier.

After watching enough of chads bcg physical videos, he changed my mind on what is not the greatest about nb coatings.

I’ll admit, the dlc coatings intrigue me a bit, but I don’t have enough experience with them to give a full opinion.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    DAILY DEAL ON TOOLCRAFT - FREE SHIPPING

Don't snooze or you'll lose!

TOOLCRAFT 5.56 PHOSPHATE MPI FULL-AUTO BOLT CARRIER GROUP - NO LOGO

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...mpi-full-auto-bolt-carrier-group-no-logo.html

PRODUCT DETAILS
    DETAILS
    Mil-Spec Carpenter No. 158® Steel Bolt

Shot Peened; Mag Particle Inspected

Chrome Lined Full-Auto Carrier

Chrome Lined Gas Key; Hardened to USGI Specifications

Secured with Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners

Staked Per Mil-Spec

FEATURES
    This Toolcraft Bolt is made of Mil-spec Carpenter 158 steel, shot peened, and mag particle inspected. Gas key is chrome lined, phosphate coated, and secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec. Full-auto bolt carrier is phosphate coated and chrome lined. Made in the USA.

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    While I personally prefer Nitride

Attachments

• 4soht7.jpg
      4soht7.jpg
      51.7 KB · Views: 232

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts