• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JChad12

Dec 11, 2020
    Upper Marlboro
    Just had Hanover Armory make me a rifle in 308. As I've never shot 308, anything I should know? All my rifles up until now shoot 223/556.

viiper

Re-Member
    Dec 3, 2008
    Carroll County
    A little louder, a bit more expensive ammo, goes further, hits harder, maybe a little more recoil. I don't treat mine much different.

YMMV, just my first opinions.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Just had Hanover Armory make me a rifle in 308. As I've never shot 308, anything I should know? All my rifles up until now shoot 223/556.

Capillary reaction with water in the event of being completely submerged will be less or non existent due to the larger bore diameter.

Just kidding, a 308 is a pleasing round to shoot and hand load for.
    Enjoy your new rifle.:)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Great cartridge.

Significantly more recoil than what you're accustomed to though. Nothing too terribly heavy, but yes very different. Just be sure to keep rifle snug to your shoulder, employ good cheek weld and fundamentals.

temccoy

Nov 13, 2020
    A great round, easy to load for, easy to shoot. A great target cartridge, take it out to 1,000 yards with the right bullet - 185 gn Berger’s will get there reliably. Very efficient and manageable recoil. Have fun with it.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    In an AR? Nothing bad at all. As others have said, a little more recoil, louder for sure. Your gas system and buffer spring will soak up most of the impulse rather well. FALs and CETMEs tend to be a little less forgiving in terms of recoil, but still not bad. Nothing at all like shooting 7.62x54mmR out of a wood-stocked M44 or the mule-kick that is 8x56mmR in a Steyr M95/30. Enjoy, and as others have said, it's EASY to reload for.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Enjoyable to shoot in my SOCOM 16, usually makes people at the range get up and move farther away...one guy said it hurt his face(the concussion)...my Savage 10 fcp sr would be more enjoyable to shoot if the stock had any real mass to it. Or if I could shoot it prone. Sitting at a bench it wants to climb too much.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I have a Savage bolt action. I pulled the trigger and my soul left me. One tear rolled down my cheek. As I laid there shivering in pain, I looked to my left and no one had seen what had occurred. I looked to my right and an RSO was staring at me, slack-jawed. We made eye contact for an eternity before he mercifully turned away in order to not heighten my shame any further. I dropped my head and hid behind the stock, trying to pull myself together. I packed up, stood up as straight as I could , and proceeded to my car. It was at that point I noticed a 87 yr old grandmother snickering at my defeat and whispering, "Nice shot, b$%ch."

*Parts of this story are 100% true.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    on paper an AR308/AR10 has between 2-4X the recoil of an AR15, although in practice that may or may not be the case, mine are really soft shooting, enough that my 8yo boy can handle them just fine. A LOT of recoil is soaked up by the bolt/buffer mass and gas system, and it can be really light with a brake and tuned gas block especially given AR10s are usually heavier than AR15s. I LOVE the caliber, lots of power, good range, but still easily manageably, and affordable. You definitely want an adjustable gas block, without one you are kinda limited, and many builds can be unreliable with anything other than M80 ball, with one, you can cut recoil substantially, run most any NATO or commercial spec ammo reliably with or without a suppressor. Depending on the build there is the original AR10 Armalite rifle and carbine pattern, Proprietary like the Sig 716, and the AR308/DPMS pattern that is becoming standard-ish(easiest to build and upgrade). They are not standard like AR15s, many manufacturers have some proprietary parts, some AR10/AR308 parts that are compatible across manufacturers, and some parts are compatible with standard AR15. Knowing the details of the build can help find what you can swap or upgrade down the road.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Always enjoyed shooting the M1A my old man has.

I actually just bought ammo the other day. I managed to accumulate several .308 rifles and shockingly didn't have a single round of ammo. Two Ishapore 2A1s, an FR7, an now this Remington 600 project.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom