• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    So someone at savage was dicking around with a QD sling and was like....wait just a dagumm minute....

One cool thing is the handle being removeable makes for some interesting aftermarket options. If any of you have a 3d printer, a cock&balls handle would probably sell like flapjacks.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I assume this rifle was created and marketed for states, like PA, that don't allow hunting with a semi-auto. From the script of the video, it sounds like the action works the same way a roller delayed blowback operates -- bolt face pressure cams the balls out into their locking recesses until the pressure drops low enough to be safe to open.

JoeR

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Not very attractive. I do like straight pull bolts though

The Fortner action used on biathlon rifles and the Browning T bolt are both slick as snot

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    I would be afraid of those bearings getting fouled up and not stopping the bolt from smacking me in the face.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    I would be afraid of those bearings getting fouled up and not stopping the bolt from smacking me in the face.

My thoughts too, bolt designs have been simple over the years making more moving parts and complicating design is a set up for failure. Bearings do wear and do fail.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I'd prefer the Colt Sauer bolt action. Much more sophisticated, now where's that bottle of Screaming Eagle Cabernet 1992???

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    My K31 Weeps

When hog hunting, whats the advantage over an AR15/AR10?

It being new, we will see what they have done to assure an OOB detonation does not occur on any rifle when they have hundreds out there

I suspect it will be cheaper than a good AR-10, and more reliable than a cheap one. Also, better variety of caliber selection.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

when the bolt goes into battery it forces the balls out. if 1 ball sticks the action won't lock or fire. the bearing idea was used in the hk mp5 ( hk 94, 93, 91 g3 ) , and worked flawlessly for decades.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    It is NEW in the sense that the balls pop into place vs a bolt caming over, however, do you trust someone's balls to save your face?
    One of the things about bolts are that when you rotate them, they can "push away" any contaminates. But those balls have to go into a recess pocket. That troubles me without looking at it further.

Do you trust Savage balls?

Sam Salvati

blacksmith
    Apr 22, 2013
    Finksburg
    It is NEW in the sense that the balls pop into place vs a bolt caming over, however, do you trust someone's balls to save your face?
    One of the things about bolts are that when you rotate them, they can "push away" any contaminates. But those balls have to go into a recess pocket. That troubles me without looking at it further.

Do you trust Savage balls?

If it’s a round pocket sized close to the ball size, bad news and hard to clean. If it’s a pocket deeper than the 1/2 ball diameter then it’ll be awhile for the pockets to clog

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    So someone at savage was dicking around with a QD sling and was like....wait just a dagumm minute....

One cool thing is the handle being removeable makes for some interesting aftermarket options. If any of you have a 3d printer, a cock&balls handle would probably sell like flapjacks.

Was thinking QD air hose adapter, but yea. Has potential, but assuming there is a sliding collar in the bolt to push the bearings out, you are kinda stuck with rounded bearings taking all the recoil force at an angle, unless they are hard as fook, probably a good way to get headspace issues with any wear, of course compared to lugs with a flat engagement surface perpendicular to the bore. Would be cool if it was applied to a small 300BO that takes AR mags, i'll be the first to buy one if it's a short bullpup. Without the need to rotate the bolt, could be a really light and fast action, easy to use a simple linkage with a handle up front, or even to use a really short bolt that doesn't need to be pulled behind the receiver, requiring the shooter to reposition each shot.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Interesting, but I can't imagine it's really going to catch on or replace standard bolt-action rifles. I give it about 3 years before it's discontinued.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I need a new hunting rifle. I’m left handed and I like my Swiss m1911 and K31. I like that the barrels are threaded in normal for caliber thread pitches. I don’t love the accutrigger all that much and would prefer a 2 stage trigger, but I’m definitely interested regardless. Might need to get the barrel fluted to take some weight off it. Definitely considering one in .300 win mag once I see the street price.

So far, 2021 seems to be the year of “the market is hot, let’s throw this weird idea out there and see what happens.” First the Leupold micro dot, then the Keltec pistol that takes 50 round p90 mags, now this. Not going to lie, I like it.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If it’s a round pocket sized close to the ball size, bad news and hard to clean. If it’s a pocket deeper than the 1/2 ball diameter then it’ll be awhile for the pockets to clog

It appears that the balls extend into a rounded-bottom groove rather than individual pockets. So dirt would have plenty of space to fall out rather than get trapped.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It appears that the balls extend into a rounded-bottom groove rather than individual pockets. So dirt would have plenty of space to fall out rather than get trapped.
    Give me locking lugs every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If I need a follow up shot faster than that, I'm effed anyway.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I’m no engineer, with that out of the way. What keeps the steel slides on plastic pistols from rearranging the shooters grill? Nobody has issues with them, yet are concerned abound these.
    I kinda like the idea, but will most likely pass at least initially.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I’m no engineer, with that out of the way. What keeps the steel slides on plastic pistols from rearranging the shooters grill? Nobody has issues with them, yet are concerned abound these.
    I kinda like the idea, but will most likely pass at least initially.
    There is a whole other level of chamber pressure where rifles are involved.

Our favorite semi-auto loads (max pressures)
    9mm Nato - 36,500 psi
    40 S&W - 32,600 psi
    45 ACP - 21,000 psi

Common Rifle loads (max pressure)
    223 Remington - 55,000 psi
    308 Winchester - 62,000 psi
    300 Win Mag - 64,000 psi

So yeah, I can understand the hesitation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom