• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    Not sure what his point is here. Bullets of the same weight plus or minus 5 grains will share a similar powder charge and shoot to the same point of impact at very close range? I'd pass from taking too many lessons from this guy.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Based on this one video, and the fact that he says, if I hear him correctly, chose a powder that fills 95 to 105% of the case, I'll pass.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Why? That's exactly what Hodgdon Reloading recommends, I would think that they know a little about the subject.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-education/tips-and-tricks/choosing-powder-new-cartridge

Well when loading with the recommended powder from Hodgdon and by their own accord they do not follow what they say. For example when using Tightgroup the recommended load for .50 cal. 350 grain bullet is 11.0 grain starting. This only fills the shells 1/2 way on a S&W .500 magnum. There also too many to list other examples on many different loads with their powders at do not fill the shells to 95%

Experienced reloaders know what works and what does not. Just like many manufacturers of rifles and pistols say "do not use lead bullets that are non-jacked as this can void the warranty". How is that working out?

Sounds like the Demon-Crats do as I say not as I do.

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    Well when loading with the recommended powder from Hodgdon and by their own accord they do not follow what they say. For example when using Tightgroup the recommended load for .50 cal. 350 grain bullet is 11.0 grain starting. This only fills the shells 1/2 way on a S&W .500 .

Where does it say that the starting load that you list here is going to be the most accurate?

Nothing like comparing apples to boulders.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    so, is he also saying pick any bullet using 95-105% and it will go 1 MOA
    or

that once you find a 1MOA load for a bullet, you can vary the bullet up/down 5 grains and it will stay 1MOA POI from the other?

was he shooting that plate at 100 yards? what happens at 200 yards?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Why? That's exactly what Hodgdon Reloading recommends, I would think that they know a little about the subject.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-education/tips-and-tricks/choosing-powder-new-cartridge

If that's what he's advocating. it makes a little more sense. Again, my answer was based on that one video.

I still would not follow what's on that link depending on what type of shooting I'm doing. It seems to be based on shooting from a cold barrel and a two shot group isn't enough information to work up a load IMHO.

Me, I live in Maryland so I try to pick my powders based on how many different cartridges I can load accurately for out of the same powder container.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Where does it say that the starting load that you list here is going to be the most accurate?

Nothing like comparing apples to boulders.

I did not say the starting load is the most accurate, If you understood, I was discussing filling a shell to 50% which directly conflicts with the powder manufacturer which says to fill a shell at 95% for best accuracy.

Regardless of accuracy even at max load with Titegroup of 18.5 gr it only fills the .500 S&W magnum shell to about 45%. So the powder manufacturer is in direct conflict what they have published since max load is way below 95%. 45 grains is close to 95% for a .500 S&W magnum shell. Also, max load does not mean better accuracy. Accuracy is determined by the shooter at a particular distance of the load that they have reloaded.

I have used CFEBLK at a starting load of 46 grains and a max load of 54 grains for a 350 grain projectile. I found no difference in accuracy between Titegroup and CFEBLK. I still produce a 4 inch group at 50 yards with my pistol regardless of the % of powder in the shell.

So to me the filling of shells to 95% for best accuracy is just BS.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Hodgdon is not contradicting themselves, they list powders and loads shooters use and seek. For best accuracy select a powder which would fill 95 - 105%. Faster powders will not achieve that load density. The lower density loads are reduced loads.

Hodgdon is not the only source of these guidelines. Richard Lee’s Reloading manual lists the compiled loads from high load density to low load density...or at least did, not sure about his recent manual. He then has a section on selecting reduced velocity/density loads from that list. Its worth the read.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Amazed
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 23, 2013
    Also if you look at Lyman's 49th, it shows in bold the loads that were most accurate in their testing. Almost all of those are near full or compressed loads, the exception would be the pistol loads that use the fast burning shotgun powders as they exceed the max pressure long before the case is full.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    So, I came across this video about a "parent load" but have not found any discussion elsewhere on the webs. What are your opinions on it?

Parent Load | Part 1: Four Steps For Experienced Reloaders
    https://youtu.be/H9J3PVcbr30

Old thread re-boot.

My opinion is that he is right, he just didn't do a good enough job explaining or maybe had an incomplete complete understanding of something he re-discovered himself.
    I just read about nearly the very same thing, in a bit from the Royal Arsenal Woolwich and a ballistician who also was in involved in developments for Kynoch ammunition manufacturing.

I wonder if he read the book and decided to do a clever you tube video or happened onto what he presented himself by trial and error, mistake or careful experimentation.

Seabee

Old Timer
    Oct 9, 2011
    Left marylandistan to NC
    I wouldn’t put much stock in that guys teachings. I’ve had some amazingly accurate loads that didn’t get near 90+% case fill. My old savage 243 was a tack driver with 35.5 gr of 3031 and 100 gr Hornady btsp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom