• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    Swiss Vetterli
    i'm going to look for one. looks like most will have to be converted to centerfire.
    from what i gather, .348 win or 8mm lebel brass can be used along with .430 dia. .44 mag bullets.
    any personal shooters of the Swiss Vetterli out there?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There was a guy shooting one at a Vintage match at the AGC about two years ago. The conversion had been done by someone local, in fact he was at the match. I remember the shooter and the converter discussing the rifle's performance with great interest.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    Swiss Vetterli...any personal shooters of the Swiss Vetterli out there?

My 1871 Vetterli is now converted to centerfire using a RCBS decapping pin supported by a heat-shaped nylon tie-wrap.

Parashooter Vetterli firing pin holder.jpg

I created Swiss .41 cases by fireforming, cutting, trimming Lebel 8mm brass. CH4D 10.4x38 dies shaped, expanded, and crimped bullets from a Accurate 425330B mold. Powder is the soon-to-be-discontinued SR-4759 that pushes 330 grain bollits to 1425 fps.

Lebel to loaded Swiss 41.jpg

Three inch diameter groups at 50 yards with iron sights puts a smile on my face.

4570inMD

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    My 1871 Vetterli is now converted to centerfire using a RCBS decapping pin supported by a heat-shaped nylon tie-wrap.

View attachment 115720

I created Swiss .41 cases by fireforming, cutting, trimming Lebel 8mm brass. CH4D 10.4x38 dies shaped, expanded, and crimped bullets from a Accurate 425330B mold. Powder is the soon-to-be-discontinued SR-4759 that pushes 330 grain bollits to 1425 fps.

View attachment 115721

Three inch diameter groups at 50 yards with iron sights puts a smile on my face.

4570inMD
    thanks for the info!:)
    i may have to pick you brain when i get a Vetterli.

4570inMD

Western MD Hooligan #007
    Jan 26, 2011
    West Virginia
    when does the snow melt over there?:D

Some years, it is tough to tell which day of the week in August was Summer.

Boots for the slush, layers for the cold & wind, and Deep Creek Rock's butane heater for that 'toasted' feeling. You'll do fine............

Here is StanW with my 1871 Vetterli:

StanW & 1871 Vetterli 09feb14.jpg

4570inMD

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    bumping this old thread.
    I have had an 1878 for a few years now and did not realize one could reload for it. not so certain I"d be doing it though, My bore is pretty dark and i"m sure my chamber is in need of some polishing up too.
    Good info!

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm getting closer.
    I ended up acquiring a Lee 44 mag bullet mold that is drops a .430 300 grain bullet.
    I molded some up and powder coated them.
    I got some 8mm Lebel brass and cut , resized then trimmed.
    Per some posts on the web, they mention to leave the brass LONGER than the .41 spec because of different chambers out there.
    Mine so far has accepted 42mm long brass which allows me to hold the bullet better
    I"m still not as long on the OAL enough to allow it to feed from the mag tube (Feeding requires the length to be within less than .1" of spec to feed.
    But I'll just start out with single shot loading.

I've honed in on a potential powder load (focusing on powder I already have) of a very mild 10gr Unique or 10gr Trailboss.
    743bbeccea8a0ae810ac101e1575c772.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom