• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    HAHAHA! NO! Those circles are fields. Have you never heard of a center pivot irrigation system?

Here's the basic gist - there is a well drilled in the center of the field and on that well is a water pump. As water is pumped through the center pipe of the span, the whole system walks around the center pivot in a circle to irrigate the crops - typically corn, because corn takes A LOT of water.

You see a LOT of them out west.

Flying over the area is like flying over a polka dot quilt.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Trust me when I say, there are center pivot system in Iowa - Iowa produces more corn than Nebraska. You don't see many of them along I80 though, so if that's your exposure to Iowa, it's understandable - it has to be relatively flat for center pivot irrigation systems.

With all of that said, you don't have to go to the Midwest to see center pivot irrigation - you can see them on the drive to Ocean City on the Eastern Shore.

I was wondering, so I just checked Google Earth and did not see any in Iowa.

Maybe they get enough rain????

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    At some point, IMO, you should look into a Ruger 10/22. There may come a day when you don't have to shoot at indoor ranges all the time, and going out plinking cans and stuff with a 22 can be a lot of fun. Almost everyone I know who is into guns even a little bit has a 10/22. Even I have one - I decided to jump on that bandwagon to see what it was all about, and I haven't been disappointed.

I am totally on board with this. The little bit of shooting I did as a kid was a 22.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I was wondering, so I just checked Google Earth and did not see any in Iowa.

Maybe they get enough rain????
    Most of Iowa Gets enough rain. But, here are some pivot circles near Gilman Park, Iowa.

Attachments

• IowaCenterPivot.jpg
      IowaCenterPivot.jpg
      78.8 KB · Views: 145

Kirkster

Jan 9, 2009
    Severn, PRoMD
    It has probably been said more than once. Buy an AR lower while you still can. Any of the other .22 options will still be available at the end of 2021 but in MD I do’t think the AR will be.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It has probably been said more than once. Buy an AR lower while you still can. Any of the other .22 options will still be available at the end of 2021 but in MD I do’t think the AR will be.
    At the moment it's still easy and legal to get 80% lowers, and frankly, with the right tools they are very easy, almost foolproof, to make. I may or may not have completed 2 more 80 lowers last weekend using an Easy Jig Gen 2. Allegedly.

Seriously, if you take your time, an 80 lower is every bit as viable as a stripped lower, and there's no hassle of doing the 7 day wait/background check or transfer fee.

Cp193

Sep 24, 2020
    I’m having the same thoughts on buying my 2nd gun, I was considering a 1911 At first but now I’m leaning more towards an AR build while I still can do it

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    Final update...at the range

The fam and I picked up our new toy today. I originally did not get a brace but the girls convinced me to shell out the extra $$ and it was well worth it! We drove straight over to Cindy’s and loaded her up. The brace was a godsend making it super easy to shoot for everybody. A couple hundred rounds later and everybody was all smiles. My wife (who is really uncomfortable around guns) was even planning a return trip to see if she could be more accurate with the APX or the Scorpion.

Again thank you all for your advice and stories!

Now to go accessory shopping....

Attachments

• 4F9AF499-B772-4400-B456-A97C8EB1F836.jpg
      4F9AF499-B772-4400-B456-A97C8EB1F836.jpg
      76.5 KB · Views: 153

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    The fam and I picked up our new toy today. I originally did not get a brace but the girls convinced me to shell out the extra $$ and it was well worth it! We drove straight over to Cindy’s and loaded her up. The brace was a godsend making it super easy to shoot for everybody. A couple hundred rounds later and everybody was all smiles. My wife (who is really uncomfortable around guns) was even planning a return trip to see if she could be more accurate with the APX or the Scorpion.

I like the HK paddle mag release by HB industries. It's better than the factory. The HBInc AK safety is really nice or the left side delete. You'll also need 50rd drum mag, Magpul and Promag make good ones. I like a red dot on mine and recommend the Sig Romeo 5. The HBInc trigger spring kit didn't really do much for me as far a feel of the pull. I also did not like the Magpul grip, the factory just felt better and can be adjusted slightly for length of pull. I have an extra trigger pack with the spring kit installed if you want it, and the magpul grip if you're interested can be had for cheap.

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    I like the HK paddle mag release by HB industries. It's better than the factory. The HBInc AK safety is really nice or the left side delete. You'll also need 50rd drum mag, Magpul and Promag make good ones. I like a red dot on mine and recommend the Sig Romeo 5. The HBInc trigger spring kit didn't really do much for me as far a feel of the pull. I also did not like the Magpul grip, the factory just felt better and can be adjusted slightly for length of pull. I have an extra trigger pack with the spring kit installed if you want it, and the magpul grip if you're interested can be had for cheap.

Thanks for the info. I found the grip really comfortable so I don't think I'll change that (but thanks for the offer). I also really liked the trigger and while I originally thought that changing it was a must now i want to leave it.

the trigger side safety will need to change cause man that hurt digging into my hand (not a problem for the girls). I'm also thinking about the charging handle for my big meat hooks :)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie

It looks like a good time was had by all, and that you wound up making a solid second purchase.

I wonder what you'll get for #3...or 4....or 5....:D

It's gonna happen - just you wait. :D

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Thanks for the info. I found the grip really comfortable so I don't think I'll change that (but thanks for the offer). I also really liked the trigger and while I originally thought that changing it was a must now i want to leave it.

the trigger side safety will need to change cause man that hurt digging into my hand (not a problem for the girls). I'm also thinking about the charging handle for my big meat hooks :)

The left side delete and or the AK left side safety will fix that issue. The AK left side is flat so it doesn't dig and make it easy to out the safety on/off.

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    The left side delete and or the AK left side safety will fix that issue. The AK left side is flat so it doesn't dig and make it easy to out the safety on/off.

Yeah that one looks good. I also saw a shorter version and another thumb release that’s smaller. They had a nice video about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom