• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I'm not going to suggest that I'm the smartest guy in the room, or that I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express Inn last night. But I do usually "test" very well. Until now.

I can't get through the Steel Target Quiz, even doing it "open book". Are there trick questions in here that I'm just not recognizing? I'm sitting with the rules right here in front of me and answers to some of the questions don't seem to be addressed or are not exactly what is written in the rules.

Is it me?

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    I'm now recording my responses. If I do this correctly I'll get 100% within 2 more rounds. Tomorrow.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    I'm now recording my responses. If I do this correctly I'll get 100% within 2 more rounds. Tomorrow.

also screen shot your passing test grade. as when I did mine,it was never sent through to agc as the website claimed. so it helped when at agc to show i did pass the test.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I don't know if its still there but there was at least ONE question that was ambiguous. I reported to an RSO years ago and I don't recall it changed.
    Same for the holster cert. it had to do with the words in the rules and the words in the question were different and could lead to multiple interpretations (thus ambiguous)

Maybe these people should take their own tests.
    I have to do online training for Hockey coaching almost every year and the systemically will ask a question in the review of a section where the information for the question is in the NEXT section.

gwfrench

Aug 21, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    Just passed it first try.
    I saw only 2 semi-trick questions.
    Mentions 200 yard range, not specifically mentioned in rules.
    Refers to 357 Sig as maximum pistol, rules say 45ACP/45 Colt. 357 Sig gives 357 Magnum performance and shouldn't be allowed

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    Lookout for "not true" questions, its has nmbeen a long time since I took the steel test, but I missed a "not" true on holster test.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Last year, I rewrote the holster certification process and test. The new test is 7 straight forward questions that only a complete moron could fail. To me, the previous test was written to intentionally confuse the taker. I am not a fan of that, nor do I believe it accomplishes the task at hand which is to ensure the test taker has read and understands the policy as well as has some level of common sense going on between their ears.

We are aware the the Steel Certification test has some of the same flaws as the old Holster cert test. I have asked someone to help me "clean up" the Steel Certification process, as well as the Range Rules that pertain to shooting steel at the AGC. That person and myself are volunteers and we both have full times jobs, wives, and little kids at home. As such, we have not even started this yet and so it may take some time.

Once we have completed our revamp of the Steel Policy, test, and range rules, then we will need to take it before the trustees for approval. After that, then and only then will we be able to update the documents and systems.

So, in the meantime, do your best on the test that is in there right now. There is no penalty for failing and you can take it as many times as you would like to (despite the program telling you that you can only take it 3 times). The questions do not change and nor do the answers. I know it is far from perfect, but we did have over 350 members take and pass it last year, so it can be done.

The other option is to wait until we update everything, but that could be 6 months down the road. Good luck

DarrellA

Jacksonian Independent
    Aug 20, 2013
    MD
    MEGARMS - No problem, I totally understand - I'm on the Board of my community association, I know how much time volunteer work takes.

And - I passed! Only took 5 tries. Would have been 4 tries if I hadn't made an obvious mistake on the 4th.

Thanks!

ed1210

Jun 29, 2022
    Baltimore
    MEGARMS - No problem, I totally understand - I'm on the Board of my community association, I know how much time volunteer work takes.

And - I passed! Only took 5 tries. Would have been 4 tries if I hadn't made an obvious mistake on the 4th.

Thanks!
    can you assist me with a question I keep getting 90% hung up on 1 question

ed1210

Jun 29, 2022
    Baltimore
    Question 2 sorry
    Which of the following caliber/target/distance/range combinations are permitted?

.22lr / 3/16” mild steel / 30 yards / 100 yard range

9mm carbine / 3/8” AR500 / 55 yards / 100 yard range anywhere except benchrest

.308/7.62 nato / 3/8” AR 500 / 200 yards / 200 yard range

5.56 nato/.223 / 3/8” AR 500 / 200 yards / 200 yard range

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    This is the old quiz and was supposed to have been updated two months ago; along with all of the trick questions. I will look into why it has not been updated.

In the meantime, I believe the answer with all four of those are acceptable. Give that a try.

ed1210

Jun 29, 2022
    Baltimore
    This is the old quiz and was supposed to have been updated two months ago; along with all of the trick questions. I will look into why it has not been updated.

In the meantime, I believe the answer with all four of those are acceptable. Give that a try.
    negative still 90%

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom