• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    There will be different needs and different setups depending on what you are loading. I also wouldn't get everything at once, some tools a new loader probably won't use for some time, an experienced or niche loader might rely on it, like ogive comparators, collet pullers, or primer pocket swagers.

Read a manual before you even buy equipment, then a log book, and load data is pretty much with you for every load. A strong shelf, table or bench and lots of Tupperware containers for brass to keep everything organized. A press(can prime on most), powder measure, scale, dies, trimmer/deburr tool(for rifle calibers), ammo boxes, and caliper will get you started. Even there, someone that wants a lot of pistol ammo for competition might be best off starting with a progressive, most will want a tumbler, polish, and separator(keeps dies clean, ammo looks better, but not a requirement), those with mil brass will want a pocket swager, and possibly a fast collet puller to pull bullets from demilled ammo, or to reload crap powder and primers, precision shooters will want a chamber mic, ogive comparator, powder trickler, and possibly a neck turner, then there is casting equipment and so-on.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    You use a MICROMETER to set COAL?

Or do you use CALIPERS? Which I pointed out to get the digital ones rather than the analog/mechanical ones.

And for many bullets seating depth can be done WITHOUT calipers, not optimum, but I loaded for many years without them. For pistol rounds, semi wad cutters are loaded so the full diameter portion is just above the case mouth. For .223, I loaded cannelured bullets, and loaded to have the case mouth crimp into the cannelure. Or, just load slightly shorter than mag length (which is what drives 223 seating depth).

Yup, my bad. I meant calipers.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Come on guys, try to keep it on topic. I used RCBS and Lyman because that is what I have real world experience with. I can only recommend things in good conscience that I have experience with. This will not become a RCBS vs Lee or whatever thread. Opinions due to actual experience are fine, but no pissing contests.

This is here to help people that have no idea what they would need to start reloading on a single stage press. We all had to start somewhere and we all made mistakes along the way in regards to our equipment. I can/will add other products to the list and will give credit for it, so if you want to recommend specific items made by Lee or Lyman (or whomever), feel free to say something and I'll add it with a note that you recommended/requested it be added.

:thumbsup:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Very helpful, thank you.

You're welcome, thanks for checking it out and I'm glad it helped you out.

Nice writeup. Your usual high standard DA. Thank you.

Thank you sir!

I find cartridge gauges helpful. Not a mandatory item but helpful.

Added and credited.

I'd go Redding Big Boss II on the press these days, much better ergonomics than the current Rockchucker (sucks monkeyballs ergonomically).

Would you like me to add it to the list of presses? If so, please PM me with a link to the press on MidwayUSA.

very helpful to a new single stage press reloader!

You're welcome, glad to help.

:thumbsup:
    @ DA nice write up...
    -Rock

Thank you for the vote of confidence on my mega posts.

Shell holders are not specific to the press being used. I use RCBS and Lee shell holders in my Lyman single stage press and my Lee turret press. I'd also recommend that anyone getting a new set of pistol dies stick with carbide dies.

I didn't realize that, thanks for letting me know where I was using incorrect information. My dad only used RCBS shell holders in his RockChucker, so I naturally assumed that RCBS only worked with RCBS. I can edit it if you would like, to reflect that I was incorrect, or I can leave the shell holder section as is. It is your call, just let me know.

SOMDSHOOT

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 18, 2009
    Indian Head
    Sticky is Sweet ! Cudos to your success DA !

Attachments

• reloading.jpg
      reloading.jpg
      10.5 KB · Views: 699

Major03

Ultimate Member
    Great write up for the new reloader.

I'd like to add the following:

For the beginner:
    - Powder Charging: If you're looking for centerfire accuracy, one of the variables you have the most control over is powder charge accuracy. I would recommend a trickler (brand doesn't really matter). Basically you set your powder measure to throw light and "trickle" up by individual grain/ball of powder. Much slower than just throwing the charge, but WAY more consistent. And consistent = accurate.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/317787/rcbs-powder-trickler

- Case Prep: Lots of voodoo science here, but one of the steps that I've personally seen a slight amount of consistency increase from is deburring. Sinclair makes a nice tool for this. Basically, when the brass is manufactured the primer hole is punched and leaves a little tab on the inside of the case. This can lead to small inconsistencies in powder ignition. This tool removes the little brass tab. Not all brass needs this, as some "high end" brass has the primer hole drilled instead of punched.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...ersal-flashhole-deburring-tool-prod34127.aspx

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Come on guys, try to keep it on topic. I used RCBS and Lyman because that is what I have real world experience with. I can only recommend things in good conscience that I have experience with. This will not become a RCBS vs Lee or whatever thread. Opinions due to actual experience are fine, but no pissing contests.

This is here to help people that have no idea what they would need to start reloading on a single stage press. We all had to start somewhere and we all made mistakes along the way in regards to our equipment. I can/will add other products to the list and will give credit for it, so if you want to recommend specific items made by Lee or Lyman (or whomever), feel free to say something and I'll add it with a note that you recommended/requested it be added.

That is what people are doing. They are presenting that other brands work fine.

Bottom line, is all of the name brands work fine. If they did not, they would not be used by thousands of reloaders over many years.

Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Hornady, Pacific (IIRC sucked up by Hornady), any of them will do the job and do it well.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just stop. If you want to have this conversation, please start a new thread on it. I don't want this thread to get cluttered or devolve into a what is better pissing contest.

Sorry, but there is a big difference between CALIPERS and MICROMETERS.

A beginning reloader will not know the difference.

IMO, NEITHER is required to start reloading, but if you are going to get one, get CALIPERS first. They will do most of what you need in reloading.

As I pointed out, I loaded many thousands of rounds over many years without either one. Then I got calipers, and used them exclusively for many more years.

I just recently added a micrometer to the reloading bench, but to set up neck sizing bushing dies setups, which are WAY beyond a beginning reloader.

And, IMO, telling a beginning reloaded they need things that they will likely not use for years, is not doing a service.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Sorry, but there is a big difference between CALIPERS and MICROMETERS.

A beginning reloader will not know the difference.

IMO, NEITHER is required to start reloading, but if you are going to get one, get CALIPERS first. They will do most of what you need in reloading.

As I pointed out, I loaded many thousands of rounds over many years without either one. Then I got calipers, and used them exclusively for many more years.

I just recently added a micrometer to the reloading bench, but to set up neck sizing bushing dies setups, which are WAY beyond a beginning reloader.

And, IMO, telling a beginning reloaded they need things that they will likely not use for years, is not doing a service.

Lighten up Francis, it was late in the afternoon, and I made a mistake. :sad20:

And no, I have not seen a reloading manual that recommends reloading WITHOUT calipers and measuring COAL.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I didn't realize that, thanks for letting me know where I was using incorrect information. My dad only used RCBS shell holders in his RockChucker, so I naturally assumed that RCBS only worked with RCBS. I can edit it if you would like, to reflect that I was incorrect, or I can leave the shell holder section as is. It is your call, just let me know.

If you don't want to throw people off when they're buying equipment, I suggest you make that change. It's your thread :)

I like a press mounted collet bullet puller. I use the RCBS, but there are others. I have a Lee Hand Press (no longer made) for the puller.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/680804/rcbs-collet-bullet-puller

The press mounted pocket swager from RCBS works well for me. Much cheaper than the bench mounted swagers from Dillon and RCBS:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235832/rcbs-primer-pocket-swager-combo-2

I'm not trying to sound like a shill for RCBS, but I really like their Auto Prime:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/457599/rcbs-automatic-bench-priming-tool

Most of my dies are Redding. Redding offers a micrometer seater than can be added to many seating dies:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/76...30-06-springfield-300-winchester-short-magnum

I think this is the finest manual trimmer made. It's the Sinclair Ultimate Trimmer, based on the LE Wilson trimmer. I use mine with the drill attachment:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/reloadi...air-stainless-ultimate-trimmer-prod39292.aspx

LE Wilson Cage gauges are the best. Headspace and Trim Length, Max Cartridge, Length Only.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/search/index.htm?k=Wilson+Case+Gauge&ksubmit=y

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Lighten up Francis, it was late in the afternoon, and I made a mistake. :sad20:

First, if you read the QUOTE included, I was NOT responding to what you were saying with that post.

I agree that calipers are a VERY good idea.

However, you CAN reload without them. For many firearms, the maximum length is set by the magazine. Too long and they don't fit. And too short, and they do not feed reliably.

If you properly work up your loads (start low and work up) you are unlikely to have a BOOM, even with a too short COAL.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For swaged primer pockets. I found the RCBS press swage system to be a PITA.

I preferred reaming the primer pockets. But that can literally be a pain in the hands if you are doing a lot of cases (more than a few hundred). At that point, the Dillon bench swager is WELL worth the price. I have done thousands of cases my my Dillon 600.

And BTW, you do not need to use all the same brand dies when reloading a given cartridge. You can have a Lee Universal Decapper, then an RCBS sizer, a Redding seater, and a Lee Factory Crimp die.

So pick a good set of dies (RCBS, Lee, Lyman, Redding, Hornady, Dillon, Whidden) to start, then as you see what YOU need, add individual dies to so that.

As for trickling every charge, it depends a lot on what powder you will be using. For an extruded (stick) powder, a powder measure will not be very consistant. With a flake of ball powder, a measure can throw charge after charge that is dead nuts on.

And like everything else, it depends on what YOU need. For general shooting, I just use a measure. For my precision rifle rounds, I use an RCBS ChargeMaster, which is an automatic powder dispenser and electronic scale. Set the desired charge and it measures that charge again and again and again. But it is a $290 piece of equipment, and only needed if you are loading a LOT of precision rounds using an extruded powder. NOT typical need for a beginner.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I may have missed it but I didn't see a Forster mentioned. Anyone have experience with these? Seems like it would at least eliminate the need for shell plates.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Forester is a big name in the precision shooting world. Their coax press is well received and thought of.

But overkill for someone getting started.

Their dies are very nice, but again, later, IF you need them. But up there with Redding competition dies and Whidden and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom