• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I am looking for a scope for a dedicated slug-gun. The gun is a Browning A-Bolt in 12Ga (a shotgun that thinks its a rifle :) ). Not very heavy and has a bit of a kick to it, particularly with 3in slug shells.

This is what I am looking for:

- durable enough to survive the recoil
    - plenty of eye relief
    - a BDC reticle that is set for slugs
    - good low-light performance

I am not set yet on what magnification. I have a 1-5x on my AR and would like to have a bit more on the slug gun. Leupold and Weaver have 2-7x shotgun scopes, the Nikon slug-hunter is 3-9x. I dont really anticipate any shots much beyond 100yards, the 3-9 may be a bit 'over-scoped'. Good eye-relief and good low-light performance are probably the most important features.

Any favorites for a slug-gun scope ?

Pablopac

pablopac
    Aug 7, 2012
    I use a Leopold VX II in 2-7. Most folks I hunted with used nikon shotgun scope and loved it. I am no longer hunting Maryland so there may be newer info out there...

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    The ones that say they love the slughunter, what exactly do you love about it? clarity, FOV, eye relief....?

I have one and though I have probably 50-75 kills with it, it is also one of my most hated scopes. I'm just to lazy to go through the process of swaping it out. It would be nice if they tell you what round that 200bdc is set up for. With SSt's or the rem aero tip I only use 2/3 of the bdc out to 200. Even with a heavier bullet it wasn't even close to what the have. The short mounting length on the tube doesn't really leave much for shooter adjustment, you basically put it where it fits. I actually had to cut a little bit off my cantilever to get it to fit (though I probably could have just used higher rings). The vx-2 has mush better clarity.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I am looking for a scope for a dedicated slug-gun. The gun is a Browning A-Bolt in 12Ga (a shotgun that thinks its a rifle :) ). Not very heavy and has a bit of a kick to it, particularly with 3in slug shells.

This is what I am looking for:

- durable enough to survive the recoil
    - plenty of eye relief
    - a BDC reticle that is set for slugs
    - good low-light performance

I am not set yet on what magnification. I have a 1-5x on my AR and would like to have a bit more on the slug gun. Leupold and Weaver have 2-7x shotgun scopes, the Nikon slug-hunter is 3-9x. I dont really anticipate any shots much beyond 100yards, the 3-9 may be a bit 'over-scoped'. Good eye-relief and good low-light performance are probably the most important features.

Any favorites for a slug-gun scope ?

Fixed 4x power. Keep it simple s.....;)

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I have this (http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/banner/1-75-4x-32mm,-circle-x-reticle) mounted on an 870. I didn't expect much for the cost but when I took it out for the first time, it was better in low-light than my Nikon M223! Long eye relief, great low-light, low cost = great addition to my shotgun. Unfortunately, I do not think they have a model with a BDC reticle.

+1:thumbsup:

How far do you see yourself shooting your slug gun? I have the same scope as above and I am good for anything under 200 yards. I like quick acquisition and light grabbing ability.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    This is what I did with my Browning A-Bolt rifled slug gun - it's an awesome shooter with the Aimpoints providing incredibly bright optics.
    Both the Comp M4 and the 3x magnifier are detachable.

Murphy Precision Picatinny rail, Aimpoint Comp M4 with Aimpoint 3x magnifier.

Attachments

• IMG_3333.jpg
      IMG_3333.jpg
      40.6 KB · Views: 226
    • IMG_3336.jpg
      IMG_3336.jpg
      47.5 KB · Views: 228

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    This is what I did with my Browning A-Bolt rifled slug gun - it's an awesome shooter with the Aimpoints providing incredibly bright optics.
    Both the Comp M4 and the 3x magnifier are detachable.

Murphy Precision Picatinny rail, Aimpoint Comp M4 with Aimpoint 3x magnifier.

Mhh, I already have the aimpoint Pro....

What bases did you use to mount that rail ? Any issues ejecting ?

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I shoot a 1-4 leupy on my slug gun and a 2-7 Leup on my muzzleloader. Both have been with me for years, both are awesome scopes and rugged as heck (dropped my ML out of my stand a couple weeks ago, tumbled down the wooden ladder (in the dark) til it wound up on the ground, shot a doe with it 20mins later and then took it back to our range to reverify it's integrity and it was still spot on.. lol)

I used to swap the 1-4 between guns with no issue, finally opted for the 2-7 for the ML and no regrets, it would make a great shotgun scope. I'm old school, don't need BDC reticles.. just a straight crosshair and Kentucky holdover for me.. ;)

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    Mhh, I already have the aimpoint Pro....

What bases did you use to mount that rail ? Any issues ejecting ?

The rail screwed right to the rifle, if I understand you correctly.
    Murphy makes a variety of rails that attach directly to the rifle.
    You can specify extra slope on the rail if you want to - I ordered mine flat with the idea I could shim it if I needed to get a zero on the Aimpoint. It wasn't necessary.

The base for the 3x magnifier is a quick detach, the base for the Comp M4 is the standard base for it.

No ejection problems.

It kicks like a mule with Remington Premier AccuTip 385 gr 12 GA sabot slugs.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    The rail screwed right to the rifle, if I understand you correctly.
    Murphy makes a variety of rails that attach directly to the rifle.
    You can specify extra slope on the rail if you want to - I ordered mine flat with the idea I could shim it if I needed to get a zero on the Aimpoint. It wasn't necessary.

The base for the 3x magnifier is a quick detach, the base for the Comp M4 is the standard base for it.

No ejection problems.

It kicks like a mule with Remington Premier AccuTip 385 gr 12 GA sabot slugs.

Thanks. I may go that route and use the aimpoint or my ar scope.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I use a Nikon slughunter 2-7 with bdc 200 reticle. It has held up to regular use for what these guns are intended for. It keeps its zero and the reticle matches up with 20 ga. slugs and sabots with about a 1600-1800 MV. I use the remington high velocities and the Federal loads with the Barnes bullets.
    I guess there are better scopes out there but this does the job well enough for me and is clear at dawn and dusk. But for the local restrictions, I would not use this type of hunting gun so my slug gun only has utilitarian appeal to me. If it functions, I am fine with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom