• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Anyone here think I could use a Nikon pro staff on a slug gun, or will it shake it to death?

Just picked up a used mossberg 500 12GA with rifled barrel as a backup/guest gun and would like to use something I already have for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I have this (http://www.bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/banner/1-75-4x-32mm,-circle-x-reticle) mounted on an 870. I didn't expect much for the cost but when I took it out for the first time, it was better in low-light than my Nikon M223! Long eye relief, great low-light, low cost = great addition to my shotgun. Unfortunately, I do not think they have a model with a BDC reticle.

Yeah, but IMHO, for a slug gun, I don't think you would need a BDC. Your shots are usually limited to not too much more than 100 yds. (yeah, I know some claimed, and maybe do get 200). I've never seen a BDC anyway that was calibrated for slugs. If there are some, I would be interested to know just to satisfy my curiosity.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Yeah, but IMHO, for a slug gun, I don't think you would need a BDC. Your shots are usually limited to not too much more than 100 yds. (yeah, I know some claimed, and maybe do get 200). I've never seen a BDC anyway that was calibrated for slugs. If there are some, I would be interested to know just to satisfy my curiosity.

Leupold and Nikon have a BDC reticle calibrated for slugs to 200 yrds. You zero it at 50yrd and it has marks for 100, 125 etc.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Leupold and Nikon have a BDC reticle calibrated for slugs to 200 yrds. You zero it at 50yrd and it has marks for 100, 125 etc.

Pretty cool. Old guy just learned something new!

The only thing I can't figure is how this is done. Do they require use of a certain kind of ammo? Obviously it is going to be dependent on the velocity of the slug and aerodynamics. Maybe the calibration marks aren't completely range specific? Who knows. Can anyone give me the short story here to enlighten me? Or even a lengthy PM or email?

Edit: OK, I just found some info on Nikon Prostaff Hunter with 200 BDC. it is specifically designed for aerodynamic polymer tipped slugs with a muzzle velocity of 1900 - 2000 fps. So it is somewhat ammo specific. I haven't hunted deer with a shotgun for years (I hunt with a rifle in Wicomoco for the last 15+ years), so I guess I've lost track of the latest shotgun slug and accessory innovations

Last edited:

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Edit: OK, I just found some info on Nikon Prostaff Hunter with 200 BDC. it is specifically designed for aerodynamic polymer tipped slugs with a muzzle velocity of 1900 - 2000 fps. So it is somewhat ammo specific. I haven't hunted deer with a shotgun for years (I hunt with a rifle in Wicomoco for the last 15+ years), so I guess I've lost track of the latest shotgun slug and accessory innovations

I think this all really only applies to the high velocity saboted slugs.

This is the site for the Leupold sabot reticle:

http://www.leupold.com/reticles/sabot-ballistics-reticle/

I dont think either of them is a 'set it and forget it' system, you have to chose a load and figure out what yardages the different holdover points apply to. You could probably get the same result with a different BDC reticle and some experimentation (or even a MOA/mil reticle).

The leupold 2-7 has an eye-relief of 3.7in, similar to the Nikon. I have no idea whether that is sufficient to keep my eye out of the ouch range, particularly if I wear a thick winter jacket. Vortex has a 'Diamondback HP' with a eye-relief of 5in. It doesn't have any specific shotgun or sabot reticle, it offers hash marks at 1.5, 4.5 and 7.5 MOA. They have a lifetime warranty, if my slug-gun shakes the thing to pieces I just send it back :) .

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I think this all really only applies to the high velocity saboted slugs.

This is the site for the Leupold sabot reticle:

http://www.leupold.com/reticles/sabot-ballistics-reticle/

I dont think either of them is a 'set it and forget it' system, you have to chose a load and figure out what yardages the different holdover points apply to. You could probably get the same result with a different BDC reticle and some experimentation (or even a MOA/mil reticle).

The leupold 2-7 has an eye-relief of 3.7in, similar to the Nikon. I have no idea whether that is sufficient to keep my eye out of the ouch range, particularly if I wear a thick winter jacket. Vortex has a 'Diamondback HP' with a eye-relief of 5in. It doesn't have any specific shotgun or sabot reticle, it offers hash marks at 1.5, 4.5 and 7.5 MOA. They have a lifetime warranty, if my slug-gun shakes the thing to pieces I just send it back :) .
    I was vaguely aware that there were new sabot loads with polymer tips, but really hadn't followed the improvements that have been made in recent years. You can always learn something new. Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom