• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • duckslayer

Feb 3, 2009
    southern dorchester county
    We have a few here that are release birds. There are a few people that raise them within a couple miles of where you saw that one. escapees from Ray Schoenkes are actually quite common on Taylors Island. They arenr successful at breeding here as mentioned before due to a lack of calcium in the form of limestone in their diet. This prevents the eggs from hardening.

I was told by Pheasants Forever that there is something in the Maryland soil that keeps the egg shells from hardening so you don't have a high enough survival rate to survive.

That was back in the '80's.

John

Heard the same from an old farmer who lived in Union Bridge,I wanna say limestone is what he said was lacking but as you get closer to the Pa. line it improved.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I was told by Pheasants Forever that there is something in the Maryland soil that keeps the egg shells from hardening so you don't have a high enough survival rate to survive.

That was back in the '80's.

John

That was pesticides used during the 70's and early 80's. Once the birds disappeared, they were gone for good. I guess if they were reintroduced they would thrive.

ToBeFree

Ultimate Member
    Oct 5, 2011
    Highland Cnty-Va
    Wow

Nice find!

I used to see them all the time on the outskirts of Columbia on Guilford near WR Grace, long before the Rt 32 extension was built. I think there was an old game reserve there at the time.

Back in '82 I worked at Brighton Dam and we hunted those bad boys in that exact area of which you speak.
    Also loads of quail.
    Used to hunt a huge farm near dickerson with loads of both.
    Man I miss those birds.
    I've seen prairie chickens at home once a year or so for the past 5yrs.
    Turkey also any where from the Patuxent river north along rt 94.

Devil Dog

Sep 20, 2013
    The change in farming technology has killed more pheasants.

The old style bar cutters would allow the nesting pheasants to jump over them. Combines, tend to suck them up :D
    Yep. I grew up in Illinois and pheasants used to be all over the place. I even knew one family that illegally hunted them within the Chicago city limits. But modern farming really hurt the overall population. Shame. Those are my favorite animals to hunt. I'd take hunting ring necks over deer hunting any day.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Our 330 acre farm in Queen Anne's County was used to hunt released birds on before we bought it. Thousands and thousands of birds released on it and haven't seen one pheasant or quail on it. We have 300 foot CRP (grassland) bordering all the planted fields too that should be perfect habitat.

Its extremely difficult to reintroduce pheasant and quail. Trying to "harden" them for winter and teaching them to next and feed is near impossible. I'd love to reintroduce them on our property, but it seems from my research that once they are gone, they are gone.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    Ive been hearing 2 roosters lately...one will Crow/squawk whatever then the other will. Its refreshing to know theres more than a few around.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Somewhat ironic that it used to be impossible to see a deer or turkey here in Maryland back in the 70's and 80's, yet they are quite abundant now. I am guessing that the ringneck pheasant could make a comeback too if the conditions are right and/or it adapts to the current conditions.

Look at the resident goose population.

First pheasant I killed was in the late 70's, maybe 1980. Last time I killed a "wild" one was in 1984. After that, it has all been shooting pen raised ones at Hopkins Game Farm. Quite a sad comparison to hunting them. Kind of like hunting versus shooting. By the way, the first year we hunted over that English Springer Spaniel in the photo, he was flushing pheasants 100+ yards away and my dad was screaming like crazy at him. Great memories.

How I miss the pheasants and quail, but I sure am glad we have the geese, turkeys, and deer. More so the geese. lol

Attachments

• Hunting-2.jpg
      Hunting-2.jpg
      70.7 KB · Views: 71

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Our 330 acre farm in Queen Anne's County was used to hunt released birds on before we bought it. Thousands and thousands of birds released on it and haven't seen one pheasant or quail on it. We have 300 foot CRP (grassland) bordering all the planted fields too that should be perfect habitat.

If you go to ND/SD, people actively manage their CRP land for pheasants with hedge-rows, plots of legumes and areas of tall-grass prairie in close proximity. The hens need undisturbed grass of just the right height to consider it for nesting.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    My Dad and I used to rabbit and pheasant hunt in West Friendship in HoCo and they were plentiful. Of course that was 35 or so years ago. That was some fun hunting. A pheasant will scare the hell out of you sometimes not taking off until you almost are on top of him. I remember it like it was yesterday. I had a .410 single shot before moving up to my 16 ga. Wingmaster that I still have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom