• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frostadams

Mar 31, 2016
    Anyone have experience reloading and shooting? Wondering if going from 180 to 200 has any benefit for decreasing shooting times in GSSF. Appreciate any feedback.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    No power factor, so wouldn't really do anything, you can load powderpuff loads with any weight bullet, as long as they cycle the gun. In something where you had to make something like a 165PF, it could be loaded about 75FPS less. The load that gives the least recoil/faster recovery can vary a bit even with equal power factors, generally heavy/slow for most, light/fast if you are running a comp, although there often isn't a huge difference, and sometimes a mid weight load will run as good or better than a sluggish heavyweight.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Depends what you are shooting in the way of targets. If paper or static steel and power factor is not part of the equation, then the lightest load that will cycle the action 100%. If knockdown steel I prefer heavier bullets giving at least 140 PF. So it the case of .40 I would use 135g-165g bullets for the former and at least 180g for the latter.

Frostadams

Mar 31, 2016
    Thanks for responses, targets are paper and knock down plates, no power factor so I guess heavy and slow will work.

May 13, 2005
    I've loaded and shot hordes of 200g .40 rounds. They can definitely be loaded to be very light recoil and are very accurate. I was using 200g Rainier tapered round nose and hollow point projectiles, WSP primers and 3.4-3.6 g of titegroup powder with whatever brass pickups I could find. That was a great load and functioned perfectly and accurately in both Glock and Beretta 40 cal variants. You could probably go down to 3.3 or 3.2 grains of titegroup and get reliable function but I never did. I highly recommend the load for competition and practice, my rounds were substantially less recoil than factory rounds and they were pretty cheap to load back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom