• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rli1973

Dec 2, 2008
    Baltimore
    Why does DC being a state matter they have their own local government. Where DC is located was land donated by Md and Va for the nations Capitol .

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Why does DC being a state matter they have their own local government. Where DC is located was land donated by Md and Va for the nations Capitol .

THey have the right to become a state and if they become a state they are represented in Congress. The argument must be made why they should not be allowed to become a state.
    They have enough people to become a state and every territory, possesstion or district of this country has the ability to become a state as well as even foreign republics can become a US state.

So if the US citizens in DC want representation in Congress and Congress wants to give it to them, then make them a state and there is no reason why they cannot become a state so I say do it.

rli1973

Dec 2, 2008
    Baltimore
    THey have the right to become a state and if they become a state they are represented in Congress. The argument must be made why they should not be allowed to become a state.
    They have enough people to become a state and every territory, possesstion or district of this country has the ability to become a state as well as even foreign republics can become a US state.

So if the US citizens in DC want representation in Congress and Congress wants to give it to them, then make them a state and there is no reason why they cannot become a state so I say do it.

They don't have the population of even our smallest state Rhode Island. DC has roughly 550000 residents. Rhode Island has 1,500000 residents.

rli1973

Dec 2, 2008
    Baltimore

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    If anything, Washington as it stands now should be taken back into Maryland. If anything.

That's what happened with Alexandria. It used to be the southern "district" but then was incorporated back into Virginia.

The Constitution calls for a center of government run by the Fed. There were and are reasons for such an institution. It was always supposed to be kept seperate. Turning it into a state would violate the original intent of it's birth and, in my unlerned optinion, would require an amendment.

Now....let's be real....many or most Dems want DC as a state because "poof", there's two more Dem senators and a representative. As close as congress is running to "no clear majority" in recent history, that's a huge shift in the power structure of the legislative branch. On the flip side, most Reps oppose statehood for that same reason.

My last argument: The people in DC cannot even run a city and we expect them to become a state? lol

Splitter

rli1973

Dec 2, 2008
    Baltimore
    If anything, Washington as it stands now should be taken back into Maryland. If anything.

That's what happened with Alexandria. It used to be the southern "district" but then was incorporated back into Virginia.

The Constitution calls for a center of government run by the Fed. There were and are reasons for such an institution. It was always supposed to be kept seperate. Turning it into a state would violate the original intent of it's birth and, in my unlerned optinion, would require an amendment.

Now....let's be real....many or most Dems want DC as a state because "poof", there's two more Dem senators and a representative. As close as congress is running to "no clear majority" in recent history, that's a huge shift in the power structure of the legislative branch. On the flip side, most Reps oppose statehood for that same reason.

My last argument: The people in DC cannot even run a city and we expect them to become a state? lol

Splitter

Good Post. I don't know about anyone else but do we actually want extra Reps from DC voting in congress on gun control laws. I don't.

blindnoodle

Livin' the dream!
    Apr 21, 2009

Who is this woman?

http://www.norton.house.gov/

Without Congress overseeing DC there would be many problems. #1 is security. The federal nature of DC does not lend well to having a local government power struggle with those defending low mid and high level bureaucrats. Right now there is no such power struggle becasue of #2.
    #2 is funding. DC gets much of it's revenue from Congress, not from taxes. Congress passes and appropriations bill with every budget (or they pass a continuation of a past appropriations bill with scheduled increases) which gives DC many of the services most cities pay for with taxes (able to have high tax revenue because of local living workers, not transitory workers who may live 40 miles outside of the state limits of their employment). The appropriation bill passed gives funding to everything from clean and brown water systems, to the mayor's office. This funding in turn strings DC government by the balls so the federal government can operate freely in the city. Imagine if DC was a state and they banned conceal or open carry. How would personal protection of bureaucrats take place? Those services would start to look strikingly similar to an episode of dog the bounty hunter.
    #3. Congressmen/women in the House do not want their vote dilluted. Before most votes they KNOW if a bill is going to be passed or not. That's why if there is a hot button issue in their district the Rep will ask the party if not voting will greatly affect the outcome. Most times this is not an issue, but the Congressperson still goes to the floor during the vote incase something fishy happens and their vote is needed. This is the same reason why DC statehood has always been voted on, but never passed. They don't want it. This is also the same reason why many Representatives run for office in the Senate. It's not for a bigger staff, larger office, or wider hallways on their walk into work that they want; they want to be 1 of 100 instead of 1 of 435.

DirtyBrad

Feb 17, 2009
    Splitter

No thank you.

Splitter

I know it will get me laughed at for being naive, but this nauseates me. It's just the perfect illustration of what's wrong with politics that people will vote this issue not based on whether they think it's right or wrong that D.C. citizens lack full representation, but on how the outcome will affect the strength of their party.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

The federal district would still exist, it would just be much smaller and the surrounding city wil be a new state as I see it, so therefore no amendment would be needed.

I admit it is one thing I would like to see being a dem, but seriously though if DC was entirely republican I would support their becomming a state just the same.

Splitter
    It would be their bad choices to make and they will either learn the hard way or they will not, but what will happen is they will no longer be able to blame Congress for their ills.

DirtyBrad

Feb 17, 2009
    ...which gives DC many of the services most cities pay for with taxes...

Must be why the schools are so good :)

Those services would start to look strikingly similar to an episode of dog the bounty hunter

I'm not 100% certain, but I'm guessing they wouldn't have trouble with arms. I'd be surprised if there's a similar current problem with Senators and the like traveling to California. After all, they're connected and wealthy.

rli1973

Dec 2, 2008
    Baltimore
    It would be their bad choices to make and they will either learn the hard way or they will not, but what will happen is they will no longer be able to blame Congress for their ills. No I think they would find a way to blame someone else.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The land that is occupied by the Federal buildings should remain under Federal control, but the rest of the area should either become a state, or be given voting Representation in Congress.

It is only fair, as it is pointed out here, Taxation without Representation is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom