• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    I would not support statehood for DC. The constitution is clear that a state cannot be made from within the borders of another or others. The land was given by maryland and virginia for the use of the central, Federal government. If representation is the problem, add the residents to the census of the original states and call it a day. Everyone on this side of the river goes to the maryland districts, the other goes to Virginia. Draw the voting district lines based on population, just as they are done now.
    Why is it so difficult to leave the land as "D.C." and give the populace representation through the existing states.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I would not support statehood for DC. The constitution is clear that a state cannot be made from within the borders of another or others. The land was given by maryland and virginia for the use of the central, Federal government. If representation is the problem, add the residents to the census of the original states and call it a day. Everyone on this side of the river goes to the maryland districts, the other goes to Virginia. Draw the voting district lines based on population, just as they are done now.
    Why is it so difficult to leave the land as "D.C." and give the populace representation through the existing states.
    You are incorrect, the Constitution allows the making of a state within another state if the state agrees to it. For instance, Maine was formed within Massachussetts and Kentucky from Virginia.

Trapper

I'm a member too.
    Feb 19, 2009
    Western AA county
    You are incorrect, the Constitution allows the making of a state within another state if the state agrees to it. For instance, Maine was formed within Massachussetts and Kentucky from Virginia.

Yep, looked it up and I'm wrong. That aside, I stand by my assertion that residents of the former maryland and virginia teritory could be represented in those states.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    One thing is for sure..How do you think ALL of thier votes will go in congress? I bet all the Dems want them to have a vote, but for the wrong reasons. Instead of just giving the vote away, they should allow D.C. residents to vote through another state. It would not matter in Md anyway because Dems have this state pretty locked up anyway. There, that way they are represented without "us" giving anything away.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I probably speak for most Marylanders....we don't want DC back. :lol2:

Something to consider, if most of DC became a part of MD, then they would also inherit our gun rights (or lack thereof). At least then that part of DC would be able to purchase guns and then they could defend themselves. I wonder what that would do to the crime rate in DC. If/when it goes down we could use that as the perfect example of why gun control is so bad.

Not saying this is a good plan, just another aspect to consider.

Kashmir1008

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 21, 2009
    Carroll County
    They have more people than the state of Wyoming.

Still regardless of population - DC is sort of like Pluto.

Besides - if DC becomes a state then we're all going to have get new flags. I don't even know how we're going to fit 51 stars on there.... we need at least 52....or 54....odd numbers are not good. Especially if you are at a boob convention.

Splitter

R.I.P.
    Jun 25, 2008
    Westminster, MD

Besides - if DC becomes a state then we're all going to have get new flags. I don't even know how we're going to fit 51 stars on there.... we need at least 52....or 54....odd numbers are not good. Especially if you are at a boob convention.

There is this video of a gal that has three nice ones though.....

Splitter

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie

51 stars will work symetrically and we have done it in the past with odd numbers of stars though some were odd looking. This one seemed to work (49)
    380px-US_flag_49_stars.svg.png

And this one is possible (51):
    380px-US_flag_51_stars.svg.png

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Interesting update on this...

While driving in today, WTOP's political commentator was talking about the fact that Elenor Holmes Norton had tried to attach a DC Statehood ammendment to the Defense Appropriation's Bill. Sen Inouye has declined to add it to the Senate version and the legislation is now dead. The WTOP commentator suggested that Del Norton was effectivly lying to the people that she had any realistic plan to DC Statehood and was delusional that it could happen in the fashion that she prefered. In his words, The only path to Statehood is to take the earlier bill with the "bad gun ammendments" and accept the deal. He went on to say that if she really wanted Statehood, that is what she would do.

Makes me wonder if the pressure could be applied...

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Why does Maryland have DC and California have Earhqauakes, wildfires and Mexico?

California had first pick.

NOBODY

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I probably speak for most Marylanders....we don't want DC back. :lol2:

if maryland took DC then southern MD wants to join virginia, the eastern shore probably would want to join delaware, and northern MD would probably want to join pensylvania.

that would leave MD as just the washington/baltimore/metropolitan area

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    if maryland took DC then southern MD wants to join virginia, the eastern shore probably would want to join delaware, and northern MD would probably want to join pensylvania.

that would leave MD as just the washington/baltimore/metropolitan area

Sounds like a plan to me.

boricuamaximus

Ultimate Member
    Dec 27, 2008
    They have a right to become a state as much as any other state which became a state. THe question I have to ask is why not?
    I also support Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands statehood.

I dont support PR's statehood. It would by far fix a lot of crap and I mean a lot but, it's a pain in the ass. High unemployment, high taxes plus it's already a territory. I think it's got somewhere around 5 million people or something so I dont think it would be worth it. Plus you think our voting block here is dumb.

They are protesting the new governor because he got rid of 15k state employees. People were complaining about high taxes, he looked at the books and noticed that there was way too many state workers that their title and job was not needed. There was on case that he let go an office that only had three people. But they had a whole wing of a building leased. Those three were Mother, Father and Daughter. They did absolutely nothing. They daily task was a job that was already being down by another three people in another wing of the building. The cute part is that those three that were supposed to be doing that job. That task was being handled by a group of 5 in a different city among another 10 tasks. Also, the same sub group to the subgroup was outsourcing some stuff as well. He noticed that he was paying 20 employees for the job of 1 person on average and the one person was busting their butt doing the job. It was blank positions created from the previous governor. To show that he's getting people jobs.

He closed down Ft. Buchannan if I remember right and prior to his predecessor closed down Roosevelt Roads. Roosevelt roads had a good 5k Active Duty military. I would say that equates to at least 2k jobs for the local economy. Not including: 1 People renting homes, buying stuff, going to all the nightclubs in old San Juan.

One estimate was that they lost about 15 mil a year from Roosevelt roads closing. Not to mention Ft. Buchannan that was right in the metro area. I lived in Ft. Buchannan as a child and remembered how convenient it was to everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom