How do you guys determine market value for used rifles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdbassplayer

Feb 1, 2017
    I have a rimfire rifle I want to sell but my quandry is how to price it. I can check gunbroker and armslist for similar rifles but you can't really look at completed sales to see what people actually paid. You only get what people are asking and the range is pretty wide.

Are there sites that are better than the two above to get a realistic idea of what I can sell it for?

I don't want to put specifics in about the rifle because I don't have my 50 posts in and don't want to do an end run around the regs.

Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    You can search completed listing on gunbroker. You can also tell us what you have and post pics and someone will chime in with a price.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    the two main factors are:
    • desirability of the firearm (is it sought after collector item)?"
    • Condition (like new, or beat up)?

Otherwise, $100 for a 22LR.

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    Value vs asking price vs sale price and can be three different things, posted price can be over the top, buyer can low ball the offer but it all comes down to how much someone is willing to pay and how much your willing to let it go for. :rolleyes:

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    I have a rimfire rifle I want to sell but my quandry is how to price it.

if you have a rimfire that is NOT a 22LR - you made a lot more money

does it look like this one ???

:innocent0

Attachments

• 12.jpg
      12.jpg
      39.3 KB · Views: 271

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    you can't really look at completed sales to see what people actually paid.
    You can "watch" (at least on GB) the auctions of the rifle you are interested in and then go back after the auction and see if or what they sold for.

mdbassplayer

Feb 1, 2017
    I just realized as Matlack said that if I log in I can see completed auctions which will be the real helpful thing. I had missed that tab on the advanced search page.

Its a 1972 Ruger 10/22 so I am not expecting to retire off the sale :)

Thank you everyone

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I have a rimfire rifle I want to sell but my quandry is how to price it. I can check gunbroker and armslist for similar rifles but you can't really look at completed sales to see what people actually paid. You only get what people are asking and the range is pretty wide.

Are there sites that are better than the two above to get a realistic idea of what I can sell it for?

I don't want to put specifics in about the rifle because I don't have my 50 posts in and don't want to do an end run around the regs.

Yes, you can, at least on GunBroker. Go to advanced search and check for completed auctions. I do it frequently.

mdbassplayer

Feb 1, 2017
    Yeah, once Matlack said that I went back and found the tab on the advanced page that I had just overlooked. I think you have to log in for that to actually work and I had never bothered creating an account prior to today. The advanced search has been failing on me today about 80% of the time so it might have been that too.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Regardless of what anyone says. Your rifle is worth what someone will pay. That's the whole idea behind an auction. You're hoping there are at least 2 people that can't live without your rifle. When there's only 1 person really interested in the rifle, who knows what it will sell for. Case in point. I bought a Safety Harbor SHTF 50bmg rifle. No one else was really interested and I' got it for probably $1000 less than other auctions have closed for.

Good luck to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom