• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Cobb 50bmg ( Predecessor to the Bushmaster 50 Bmg)

This would probably be my choice. We cant have the Bushmasters right because people think they are banned?

Handled one 10 years ago and very nice, mag fed. Probably get under $5k with really nice glass.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I must have missed that event. They killed tracers there completely? Last time I had some there they said none past 200, but that was 2017 I think.

Delmarva Sporting Clays now prohibits .50 BMG’s as well. Someone a couple of years ago overshot a berm with one and damaged property.

VRC Racing

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Ijamsville
    BMG 50

Purchased a used Barrett because I thought it would be fun. Was going to shoot at the Quantico 50 bmg matches. Never happened. Pulled it out of the safe every now and then to show it off. Ended up selling it to a member here on MDS.

Many better toys to consider.

-Russ

Attachments

• 50_bmg.jpg
      50_bmg.jpg
      56.1 KB · Views: 361

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    I was at the Delmarva at the MDS event when someone *DID* set the 300yd berm on fire (can't remember who's 50. Sleeve-less?). Luckily I had brought a bunch of used fire extinguishers we were shooting at and between shovels and just pouring them out on the fire it was contained quickly. That got API/incendiary rounds banned there. I don't know of any public ranges that still allow incendiary or tracer rounds.

You're welcome :D....

That was from a piece of steel that someone just painted. I've used Incendiaries there quite a bit and never had issue. Think the paint caught and transferred to the grass on the berm. I have a video of it somewhere. Once they let me fire off a tracer out of the 50 after it rained.

Fire extinquishers were a good shoot. :thumbsup:

I had the Barrett M99. I really liked it, but I'll be honest, I enjoy shooting my 338 LM a lot more.

sleev-les

Gata Needs His Gat
    Dec 27, 2012
    Edgewater, MD
    Purchased a used Barrett because I thought it would be fun. Was going to shoot at the Quantico 50 bmg matches. Never happened. Pulled it out of the safe every now and then to show it off. Ended up selling it to a member here on MDS.

Many better toys to consider.

-Russ

You sold it to me. It was a great gun, but like I said in my other post, 338 I like even more :D I would have kept the 50 though if I didn't need to rebuild a boat motor and if there was still somewhere reasonably close to shoot it.

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    I can recommend two things...

BMG match ammo from AMMO JON

I “know a fella” who has an old school McBros Fifty BMG. They’re around if you’re patient. Built like a tank. Accurate as hell. Breach load. Bolt action. Muzzle brake comes with its own zip code.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Any local dealers have a serbu bfg50-a in stock?
    I seriously doubt it. It took a couple of months for them to build mine after I put the deposit down. Serbu has a backlog and builds to order. Welcome to look at mine (or shoot at AGC) if you haven't seen one up close. I had to buy on faith.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    I thought not allowed at AGC?
    Probably not allowed on the pistol range;)
    There are no caliber limits on the rifle ranges. I've shot mine many times. A full auto M2 has even been used there (I sadly missed that day:()
    50's have been banned @ Delmarva for a while now. That sucks more as they have a 300 & 500yd range :(

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    Probably not allowed on the pistol range;)
    There are no caliber limits on the rifle ranges. I've shot mine many times. A full auto M2 has even been used there (I sadly missed that day:()
    50's have been banned @ Delmarva for a while now. That sucks more as they have a 300 & 500yd range :(

Let me know next time you go :)

Leper Messiah

Aug 18, 2014
    I have the AR-50 and love it. Recoil is mild and accurate as hell. I have about 200 rounds loaded up but like others have said they're is nowhere to shoot it. I shoot on a buddy's farm but can only get out to about 500 yards.

sureshot

Apr 15, 2014
    bmg and ar500

at 500 yards what thickness ar500 plate would be required to hold up against the bmg?

wabbit

Ultimate Member
    Apr 29, 2010
    I bought a Blue Grass Armory Viper over 10 years ago when I lived in the west coast. There's a lot of open BLM land that was available for shooting and I shot it out to 600m, but not longer because I had a cheap scope. Scopes don't seem to like the recoil of a bolt action .50 BMG.

https://bluegrassarmory.com/

The top rail has 30 moa machined in, but it turned out the 1913 rail is too low, so I needed to get tall scope mounts to get the scope to line up with my eye line when I had a good cheek weld. I haven't shot it since I moved to VA several years ago, and also because my job takes me overseas most of the time.

ETA: if you decide to buy a BGA Viper, don't get one in gray. For some reason, gray is difficult to produce and my receiver took over 4 months to make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom