• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I picked up a used one the other day. I took out the bolt to look at the barrel and the end of it got twisted around and I couldn't get it back in. The salesman twisted it back and it works OK.

I got a couple of boxes of Winchester 250 grain ammo and have shot almost all of them. I mainly just wanted the brass so I can reload with lighter charges. I started out using a cheap red dot and that is OK. I think I could use it for deer hunting. I've shot out to 100 yards but want to see how it shoots at 150. I'll try it with a scope next.

Anyone else used this rifle and what do you think of it. I like it so far.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    Could you explain more about "twisted around". What got twisted around? Is this rifle a bolt action or semi AR type? I was watching a Hickok45 video recently that featured the bolt action American in 450, looked like a good choice for hunting wild hogs.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I shot it again today with the cheep red dot. I think it shoots good enough at 150 yards to hunt deer with especially if I use the Win ammo I bought. I may leave it at that and hunt with it.

Yes, it's the Ruger American Ranch rifle.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I tried to put a 2-7 power scope on the rifle but didn't check the mounting on the rail and it was off on the front. Will try it again tomorrow night.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I've found a nice load for the rifle using 296 powder, cases from Winchester bullets and 240 gr. Hornady XTP Mag bullets. I'm good out to 200 yards using shooting sticks. The next step is to take sandbags and a bench to see how accurate the load can be.

You have to get used to the huge muzzle blast from the rifle even though the recoil is pretty tame. Must look pretty cool in the dark. I'm using a Limbsaver pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom