• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I finally started using my grinder to start making deer hamburger out of some of the venison I have in my freezer from last season.

It's a lot easier than I thought it would be. The electric grinder I bought was easy to put together and take apart to clean. It works great!

I made up Foodsaver bags of 1 and 1/2 lb. and froze them again. I used a couple of pounds of pork trim I bought from a butcher shop. I need to go back and get some more so I can make more burger out of steak cuts I have left. I want to see if there's a big difference in taste between the two cuts of meat.

Attachments

• IM002693.jpg
      IM002693.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 603
    • IM002694.jpg
      IM002694.jpg
      46 KB · Views: 595

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    The local butcher said he could give some beef fat but didn't have any pork fat to give away. I may try beef fat this winter.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I wouldn't make burger out of steak, but maybe that's just me. Congrats on the successful hunt.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If you need recipes for wild game, look for the book "Buck, Buck, Moose" by Hank Shaw. He also runs a Facebook group "Hunt, Gather, Cook".

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Grind in 1/3 bacon, you end up with integrated bacon burgers. Walmart sells "bacon ends" trimmings for $2/lb sometimes, stock up when you see it.

I have ground up bloodshot backstrap in the past, it is not very good. There is not enough texture feels like meat mush. Fajitas is the best way to use the smaller steak meat.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    Grind in 1/3 bacon, you end up with integrated bacon burgers. Walmart sells "bacon ends" trimmings for $2/lb sometimes, stock up when you see it.

I have ground up bloodshot backstrap in the past, it is not very good. There is not enough texture feels like meat mush. Fajitas is the best way to use the smaller steak meat.

My backstraps will stay as steaks. I'll look for the bacon ends. Thanks!

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Some kind of fat is good. Beef or pork depending, to get the moisture level up.

Frankly, my mrs likes the burger ground with something (fat) better than just the regular different steaks due to the gamey flavor. The fat and spices usually associated with the burger dishes, taco or sloppy joe, meat spaghetti sauce or chili, cover the gaminess for her.

She’ll go with the sausage too, with it’s cover spices.

When purpose grinding at camp, the guys I hunt with usually use various trimmings for burger vs dedicated good cuts of meat. Trimmings from the neck, ribs and places with the small sections of meat.

But if there’s leftovers from Last year now, getting them broken into something you’re more likely to use now, burger, is better than freezer burn and waste.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I've been giving a friend deer steaks for awhile now and they never have said they taste any "gaminess". I don't taste any bad taste either so it isn't just me.

Another question: how do you guys cook your deer burgers? Grill, pan fry etc?

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I put 2 burgers on the outdoor grill today. They came out good but I think I'd like 'em better pan fried. I'll try 2 steak burgers next (pan fried).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you will attempt to cook them in manners similar to ground cow , deerburger will require some sort of added fat .

Commercial deer procesors usually default add beef fat . Pro tip is nasty on sale store brand 0.99/ lb bacon, at ratio of one lb pkg of bacon per deer.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I do 80/20 by weight completely trimmed venison meat / high quality pork fat. For sausages, it's 70/30. I then cook my tacos, burgers, etc. the same as I would with beef. I find that what I grind at home always tastes better than what the butcher does for me. I'm not sure why exactly, but I think it's in the trimming precision. It could also be the time of year...I have no way to know for sure. I only take deer to a butcher if the weather is over 50 degrees. I much prefer to do it myself but don't have a walk-in refrigerator.

Venison fat/sinew/(the white stuff) has some flavor to it. So by really being careful to trim everything completely, I get rid of that flavor. My dog is happy for me to do this, since she gets the scraps.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    I finally started using my grinder to start making deer hamburger out of some of the venison I have in my freezer from last season.

It's a lot easier than I thought it would be. The electric grinder I bought was easy to put together and take apart to clean. It works great!

I made up Foodsaver bags of 1 and 1/2 lb. and froze them again. I used a couple of pounds of pork trim I bought from a butcher shop. I need to go back and get some more so I can make more burger out of steak cuts I have left. I want to see if there's a big difference in taste between the two cuts of meat.

Nice! I use the game bags in 1lb or 2lb. you could always press them flat so they dont take up as much room. I dont add fat to mine...

Raineman

On the 3rd box
    Dec 27, 2008
    Eldersburg
    For those of you who add fat to your ground, at what point to you add it? Do you just put some in with the meat chunks on your initial grind, or do you double grind it, adding the fat on the 2nd grind?

Also, whichever method you use, do you then hand mix everything when you are done?

I've never added fat to mine, that is why I'm asking, because I'd like to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom