• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    On the hoof, in the barn, in the coop, etc.

Tell us what you're raising, how to process, where to get stock, etc..

I've got yardbirds (Cochins and silver wyandotes), bees, and now rabbits (American Chincilla with some lionhead mixed in).

I need some better rabbit stock, so if you know of anything close to southern AA County, contact me.

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    New set of incubated chicks hatch in 2 days. Out with the old, in with the new. New roos will end up critter food.. don't need any yard brawls. Sadly, a girl hasn't gone broody yet, so can't slip the chicks underneath. Will have to raise them inside for a bit.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    We got a mix of yard birds. Got some heritage Brahmas, three hens a rooster and some Rhode Island reds in one coop and dark cornish hens in another. Will be buying heritage barred rock peeps in late may to replace the cornish I am unsatisfied with. The cornish as hatchery birds and not to size. The daughter will eventually move out and take that first flock. We are gathering about 18 - 21 eggs a day. Venison in the freezer and a smokehouse out back. I could make dried jerky for preservation if SHTF.

We got one broody hen we can't get to stop. Anyone know how to except putting six eggs under her?

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    We got a mix of yard birds. Got some heritage Brahmas, three hens a rooster and some Rhode Island reds in one coop and dark cornish hens in another. Will be buying heritage barred rock peeps in late may to replace the cornish I am unsatisfied with. The cornish as hatchery birds and not to size. The daughter will eventually move out and take that first flock. We are gathering about 18 - 21 eggs a day. Venison in the freezer and a smokehouse out back. I could make dried jerky for preservation if SHTF.

We got one broody hen we can't get to stop. Anyone know how to except putting six eggs under her?

Broody box. Need to put her in an old dog crate or such where she can’t sit comfortably egg style. Small 2x4 piece for her perch on. Food and water. Google broody box. You’ll get the idea. It works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa

You have a rooster so you have fertilized eggs. I'm guessing Mama Brahma is the broody one? They make good moms and will raise a new batch of birds for you, put 10-12 eggs under her and let her do her thing.
    20-21 days you'll have baby yardbird and you won't need a heat lamp or have to worry about pasty butt, just give food and water.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    You have a rooster so you have fertilized eggs. I'm guessing Mama Brahma is the broody one?

This one is a Dark Brahma/leghorn and all white and probably been broody for two months almost. Comes out, drinks, hangs out 5 minutes, eats and back in the box.

We got her throwing eggs under an RIR that wouldn't stop also. Plus two Brahma/RIR crosses that look like white Brahma chickens with a red dusting on top

Broody hen

I am trying to go more Heritage in breeding instead of just doing the chicken math thing. If it was STHF, then yea.

'04 Cummins

Defenestrator

Attachments

• 5E8A1834-BDE1-4A91-AB2F-31A9998AAE97.jpeg
      5E8A1834-BDE1-4A91-AB2F-31A9998AAE97.jpeg
      60 KB · Views: 210
    • A9D8DBF5-1BEC-4F1C-BEBC-93B6553CB49D.jpeg
      A9D8DBF5-1BEC-4F1C-BEBC-93B6553CB49D.jpeg
      61.2 KB · Views: 204

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I am trying to go more Heritage in breeding instead of just doing the chicken math thing. If it was STHF, then yea.

HOLY HELL MAN THIS IS THE APOCALYPSE!!! Haven't you been paying attention? The whole world is coming apart at the seams, no food, no water, no onions or potatoes THE BARS ARE CLOSED!!!!
    :omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    HOLY HELL MAN THIS IS THE APOCALYPSE!!! Haven't you been paying attention? The whole world is coming apart at the seams, no food, no water, no onions or potatoes THE BARS ARE CLOSED!!!!
    :omg::omg::omg::omg::omg::omg:

I heard, I got food, garage beer fridge is full. Went to lunch in WVA yesterday and bought two more 30 packs for the basement fridge and daughter came home with two more.

I'm ready to watch this she-it show. :D

The only thing I don't have yet is a rain barrel or a dip bucket for the well for water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom