• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    They started a search yesterday afternoon after two people in a canoe/kayak were spotted getting blown offshore. I listened to EMS scanners late yesterday as they search and found a paddle. EMS stopped at dusk, but I believe CG kept looking through the night.

Reports today indicate that they found not only a paddle yesterday but a kayak too.

Now they are reporting that this was Kathleen Kennedy Townsend's daughter and grandson. Terrible deal all around.

I've been too close to too many cold water tragedy's. Be careful out there. Cold water is not to be F'd with.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The stay at home order means that there are few eyes on the water... stay safe out there. You are allowed on the water for "exercise" but not recreational boating, but just because something is legal, does not make it wise.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Cold water is not to be F'd with.

:thumbsup:

I was painting a utility room door in the back yard yesterday evening when I heard a “sper-lunk-ASH!” and turned around to see a fellow had gone off the front end of his bass boat, leaning over to drop a trolling motor, about 20 yards off shore.

His wife kept her wits about her and he was eventually able to pull himself back into the rear of the low-sitting craft ... had it been any colder or he’d hit his head on the way over and they’d not been as close to shore, coulda gotten ugly real quick ...

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    The wind is horrible , and what a horrible idea to go out on a canoe with a kid (IMHO) Other ways to exercise

According to the reporting a ball went into the water and the woman and her son “jumped into a canoe” and went out to retrieve it. They were unable to get back to shore.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    According to the reporting a ball went into the water and the woman and her son “jumped into a canoe” and went out to retrieve it. They were unable to get back to shore.

I pray for them and there souls , but going in after a 5.00 ball seems dumb and to go on the water without the right gear is even more stupid .

This is a sad and tragic story and i feel for anyone involved or the remaining family .

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD

Unless that was a $15,000 ball, wouldn't it make sense just to let it go?

Jeezus, some people making giving them sympathy REALLY fvcking hard.

blipper

MDS Supporter
    Dec 4, 2017
    Dundalk (Baltimore County)
    Unless that was a $15,000 ball, wouldn't it make sense just to let it go?

Jeezus, some people making giving them sympathy REALLY fvcking hard.

I can see how it could happen -- kid's favorite ball, it seems close, the canoe is right there, the PFDs are up in the shed ... bad idea. I've been stuck on a kayak in high waves close to shore on the bay on a warm summer day. That's bad enough.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I pray for them and there souls , but going in after a 5.00 ball seems dumb and to go on the water without the right gear is even more stupid .

This is a sad and tragic story and i feel for anyone involved or the remaining family .

I’ve done a lot of dumb things trying to retrieve game or a tangled lure. It may not seem reckless at the time to jump in a canoe and grab a ball that got tossed off the dock. The kid should’ve never left shore without a life jacket though.
    Prayers for the family. They have a remarkable history of tragedy.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    No question that family has been touched by tragedy...and often. It seems the family was born under a bad sign for some reason. While I hope those being searched for are found and rescued it still makes me think that it's always been wrong the family has been treated like royalty and because of their losses they're somehow entitled to such public affection and political power.

The history of the family has been dogged by tragedy...and it started with Grandpa Joe and his continuous grasping for power by any means necessary and controlling his children. He and his sons were serial abusers of women...and have always been idolized for for that by those who would string them up if behind their names was a (R).

Slowhand

Pre-Banned
    Dec 13, 2011
    In a van, down by the river.
    Tragic for sure. Water temp is about 51deg there. Wind yesterday was 23-27kts from W and NW which would push them toward the bay and south. You land in that and likely experience the gasp reflex immediately, hyperventilate and inhale water. But paddling upwind in 30mph breeze is a non-starter. Wonder what the response time for EMS personnel was. USCG Annapolis is about 7 miles away from Herring Bay/Rockhold Creek. Some of the fire stations have water rescue teams as well, probably closer. but USCG has boats in the water.
    From AACo First Alert on FB:
    #waterrescue | #shadyside | Search Continues For Missing Kayakers From Shadyside; Empty Kayak And Paddle Recovered in Deale | Sources advise AAFA, a well known prominent family traveled to a Maryland shore house, when the incident occurred | A 911 caller and firefighters last observed the two individuals in the kayak around 4:30 PM , floating south into the Chesapeake from the Columbia Beach community pier. Searchers from AA County and Maryland State were called off three hours later as darkness set in. No additional information on the missing will be provided other than they are described as a woman in her 40's and a child. *The Coast Guard is leading the search today*

Read the full report from Anne Arundel County Fire Department below:

"Open Water Rescue- Shady Side (Chesapeake Bay)

Date: Thursday, April 2, 2020
    Time: 4:29 p.m.

Location/Address: 1500 Robinson Road, Shadyside, MD 20764

Description of vessel: kayak with two people on board
    Assisting Fire Departments: Annapolis Fire Department, Maryland Natural Resources Police, Maryland State Police - Aviation Division, United States Coast Guard Air Station Cape May, NJ, Queen Anne's County, and Calvert County.
    Additional Information:

At 4:30pm, our 911 Center received a call from a concerned citizen. From the Columbia Beach community pier, the caller stated he saw two people in a small canoe or kayak drifting in the bay. A water rescue assignment was dispatched to the area bringing marine resources to the area. Firefighters arrived at the pier and confirmed the sighting of two people in a small vessel several miles from the pier drifting south in the Chesapeake Bay. Boats and helicopters began a search of the Chesapeake Bay.

At 7 pm, the kayak and a paddle were recovered east of Rockhold Creek in Deale, MD by United States Coast Guard and the Fireboat from the City of Annapolis Fire Department.

At 7:30pm the search was called off due to darkness.

Maryland Natural Resources Police is the lead investigating agency.

The Anne Arundel County Fire Department Dive Team and Marine Division are currently assisting the Maryland Natural Resources Police with the search for the missing persons."

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    They started a search yesterday afternoon after two people in a canoe/kayak were spotted getting blown offshore. I listened to EMS scanners late yesterday as they search and found a paddle. EMS stopped at dusk, but I believe CG kept looking through the night.

Reports today indicate that they found not only a paddle yesterday but a kayak too.

Now they are reporting that this was Kathleen Kennedy Townsend's daughter and grandson. Terrible deal all around.

I've been too close to too many cold water tragedy's. Be careful out there. Cold water is not to be F'd with.

Great, now all of the news stations will be reporting on this for the next week. Remember when that idiot Kennedy crashed his plane off Nantucket with a couple of women on board, it was non-stop news coverage for a freaking week.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Sad. It's a really thin line with Chesapeake area waters especially, between being one's best friend, and one's very worst enemy. Like guns and chainsaws, there is no mercy for mistakes.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA

Hate hearing something like this. Looks like a recovery at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom