• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My fathers getting up in age and I wanted to ask what does MD require for me to take ownership of his weapons after he passes.

Is it enough to leave them to me in will. BTW I am not prohibited, all were purchased after 2013 and none are nfa items.

Thank you.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If all are post Sept 30, 2013, the long guns just transfer. At least for now.

Handguns require filling out a form and filing it with MSP. No fee.

Fixed Typo

Last edited:

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I said it before and I'll say it again. It's ridiculous to have to get the state involved in personal family business

Agreed. My mom passed in December. Her husband proceeded her in death. He was a retired Chief Deputy. I'm having all kinds of fun being the personal representative without another family member within 10 hours of here. :mad54:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    If all are post Sept 20, 2013, the long guns just transfer. At least for now.

Handguns require filling out a form and filing it with MSP. No fee.

This.

It was nice of your father to transfer the long guns to you now, even if he kept them in his safe for you. It avoids all the problems a long gun transfer law would bring if passed.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    This.

It was nice of your father to transfer the long guns to you now, even if he kept them in his safe for you. It avoids all the problems a long gun transfer law would bring if passed.

Luckily my father gave my brother and I all his handguns years before he died so we didn't need to worry about ******** like this

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I have asked several sources and gotten many answers however the things that seem to be repeated are am immediate family member can take possession of firearms or parents without getting an outside agency involved.

TD

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    My fathers getting up in age and I wanted to ask what does MD require for me to take ownership of his weapons after he passes.

Is it enough to leave them to me in will. BTW I am not prohibited, all were purchased after 2013 and none are nfa items.

Thank you.

The internet and these fora are the wrong place to get specific legal advice like this. Wrong advice might create big problems. My suggestion is to consult your lawyer.

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    Has anyone included firearms in a "letter of instruction" instead of the will? Our lawyer offered that, since it isn't filed with the register of wills, but then it also isn't legally binding and is simply advice to your successor.
    I'm a little conflicted, it would be nice to not have all my toys listed in the register's office, but on the other, my wife might not be too happy about our kids having title to a significant portion of my collection if I pass before they're of age.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Has anyone included firearms in a "letter of instruction" instead of the will? Our lawyer offered that, since it isn't filed with the register of wills, but then it also isn't legally binding and is simply advice to your successor.
    I'm a little conflicted, it would be nice to not have all my toys listed in the register's office, but on the other, my wife might not be too happy about our kids having title to a significant portion of my collection if I pass before they're of age.
    Yes I did and used quicken willmaker. Only thing I have specified directly in my will is banned rifles. "Banned rifles as defined by Maryland law go to so and so", with an alternate person or two.

Everything else is letter of intent for the wifey to deal with. There is an envelope with suggestions and my desire that none of my collection be destroyed. You have things like standard capacity magazines and ghost guns to consider.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Luckily my father gave my brother and I all his handguns years before he died so we didn't need to worry about ******** like this

And exactly when did he do that??????

I hope it was prior to October 1, 1996.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have asked several sources and gotten many answers however the things that seem to be repeated are am immediate family member can take possession of firearms or parents without getting an outside agency involved.

TD

Contact a lawyer who is well versed in firearms law.

IMO, you are ill informed and may be violating the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom