• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I just ordered one - Never done it. Hoping to dry out some of the things i harvest from the garden and also possibly some meals for a family trip to the Boundary Waters in a few weeks.

Any one else into this?

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    I did jerky for awhile and there is a thread on here that has some great jerky recipes. I love it, but I focus only on jerky. I use a rather cheap dehydrator I got from Aldei which is more than adequate.

I did jerky for awhile and there is a thread on here that has some great jerky recipes. I love it, but I focus only on jerky. I use a rather cheap dehydrator I got from Aldi which is more than adequate.

There are several threads on this and my advice is to grab one when they're available. They aren't the best, but surely the best dollar to quality ratio on the market.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I also use the Aldi one. My jerky got infinitely better when I started using ground venison, a jerky gun, and prepackaged seasoning.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    There are several threads on this and my advice is to grab one when they're available. They aren't the best, but surely the best dollar to quality ratio on the market.

Totally agree. I believe it was your thread that spark my interest in buying the Aldi dehydrator in the first place. Thank you so much SG, it's going on 2 years now and no problems.

OP I believe I paid a little more than $30 out the door for mine, so if you don't already have one, the Aldi one is definitely worth checking our.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    You guys want to make good jerky, learn to see the grain in the meat and slice across it. Slice with it and you could yank a few teeth loose.

We have to kill a bunch of mountain deer this year and I'll be doing some in the dehydrator and some in the smoke house. My wife doesn't like them very smokey and I tell her she's broken. ;)

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Always up for more pics of your smokehouse archery rob - that thing was boss!

I picked up a Nesco FD-75 along with more trays and the fruit trays. Hoping to dry the hoard of tomatoes and peppers I have coming.

Last edited:

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I have a dehydrator I’ve been working it nearly 24/7. All vegetables and fruits though, no jerky. Between the garden (beans, peas, carrots, radishes, zucchini/squash, and watermelons) and some grocery store shopping (pineapples, apples, bananas, and strawberries) there’s a lot to process. We’re loading up for a long winter.

We dehydrate the vegetables/fruit and vacuum seal it in a Food Saver. It’s been working well for years.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County

Attachments

• 20200723_170605.jpg
      20200723_170605.jpg
      73.8 KB · Views: 235

2ndCharter

Based dude w/ lovin' hands
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 19, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    We've had an Excalibur for about 10 years. I don't find that we get a great deal of use out of it. First couple of years, we dehydrated everything. Canning and freezing were much more usable as storage goes. YMMV

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    What is the texture of that Zuchinni? Have you tried it fried in butter, which is how we like it. I don't like to can it because it is just mush to us and deal with using freezer space..

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Squaw candy in a smoker is even better....

Im sure. I have a wee smoker. Dehydrator holds a lot more with less tending. Was surprised at the "smoke flavor" the liquid smoke imparted.

I should build a small smokehouse. Damn those Last Alaskan shows!! So inspirational!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Damn those Last Alaskan shows!! So inspirational!

LOL exactly. I want a jon boat big enough to haul a moose, lumber for my cabin, and a winter's supply of halibut.

Post up the salmon recipe. How dry is it?

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    Im sure. I have a wee smoker. Dehydrator holds a lot more with less tending. Was surprised at the "smoke flavor" the liquid smoke imparted.

I should build a small smokehouse. Damn those Last Alaskan shows!! So inspirational!

Check out ArcheryRob's smoke house.... very cool... I think its in the outdoor subform.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Here is my stuff on my smokehouse. It is more of a hot smoker. I can cold smoke but I have to maintain it a lot. Open the damper and close it mostly until smoke comes out the exhaust and then open it back up. So that every so often. A lot of people use exterior gas as it is easier.

BTW, the wife is not thrilled with me right now. I have a plan to make the fire box larger with a wood fired over over it. I got the stink eye on it, but once she gets a job i'll just start on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom