• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wycopper

Sep 27, 2020
    I'm right handed and seriously left eye dominant! I went to requalify at the range (job requirement) and my range instructors were behind me and asked how I shoot using my left eye? I had been stationed away for over 3 years. I tilt my head to the right and use my left eye. I've tried really hard to correct it and just gave up. I either shoot like that or close my left eye. Too far along to make any muscle memory changes at this point.

For long gun: I use both eye's on my red dot rifle scopes and close my left eye when shooting longer ranges with magnified rifle scopes. I agree with many in this forum, just find what works and go with it.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    I'm right handed and seriously left eye dominant! I went to requalify at the range (job requirement) and my range instructors were behind me and asked how I shoot using my left eye? I had been stationed away for over 3 years. I tilt my head to the right and use my left eye. I've tried really hard to correct it and just gave up. I either shoot like that or close my left eye. Too far along to make any muscle memory changes at this point.

For long gun: I use both eye's on my red dot rifle scopes and close my left eye when shooting longer ranges with magnified rifle scopes. I agree with many in this forum, just find what works and go with it.

Do you shoot long gun right or left handed?

Dec 30, 2015
    I know I am late to the party, but I to am LE dominant and RH. I DO shoot long guns LH and prefer it that way, but I CAN hit on paper shooting RH. I shoot pistol RH and move it over to my left side slightly. My Dad "tested" me when I was in the 7th grade and bought me my second rifle in a LH model. The only difference at that time was the cheek piece was on the other side. It still ejected across my face. My first AR build was a true LH from StagArms. All others since then have been standard AR lowers with lots of Ambi controls added.

jeff g

BANNED!!!
    Jul 7, 2020
    I had this issue my whole life EYE DOMINANCE ISSUE I discover recently (WPS) he has a video how to overcome EYE DOMINANCE it worked for me it will work for you
    you will love this gut he is great watch his video!!!
    This video he teaches about eye control, I am still Practicing noe and getting better at BOTH EYE OPEN SHOOTING!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6ygkP87obE

j&ksmall

Feb 18, 2013
    CAR

For defensive handgun use, look at Center Axis Relock. It’s an interesting technique and will absolutely appeal to someone with “mismatched” eye dominance. Great for tactical shooting but not a 25yd bullseye technique.

For rifles, I’d probably stay right handed and close the left eye.

Shotguns are a different story. I’d have a real hard time with just one eye. Have to think about that a bit.

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    My 10 y.o. son is right handed/ left eye dominant. I have him shoot both guns and bows with a pirate eye patch over his left eye and shoot right handed. It works perfectly and he is a marksman with his shooting.

GutPile

Ultimate Member
    Jul 4, 2016
    I'm left handed right eye dominant. Shot bow and firearm left handed for years. When I switched to right handed my groupings for both increased significantly. Your mileage may vary. Luckily my wife is left eye dominant right handed so the left hand AR15 SBR build didnt go to waste.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    this thread gives me a headache. just turn your head slightly, squint a little with your right eye and all is well. this is the right way. period. no weirdo stuff, no switchy switchy. rifle, shotgun or pistol.

bustem

Dec 31, 2012
    As a Skeet instructor I have to deal with this regularly. For shotgun shooting it is hugely important to know your eye dominance. For a left eyed shooter, it is best to shoot left handed if they can. Very few shooters are comfortable with that. In Skeet shooting, having both eyes open is important because we use our peripheral vision a lot. If you are left eye dominant and right handed, simply put a piece of scotch tape on your left lens positioned so that, when you close your right eye, you can't see the end of your shotgun (the bead). This maintains your peripheral vision but when the target approaches your central vision, the left eye is blocked and the right eye is in charge. If you are using expensive shooting glasses, position the tape on the inside of the lens so it doesn't discolor or remove any of the tint.
    With a rifle or pistol, just close your left eye.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I recently shot for the first time with progressive bifocal glasses. Never again....

Now have a pair of yellow tinted single vision glasses to shoot with.

The bifocals totally messed with my eye dominance. Had trouble seeing two barrels while attempting to focus on the target. Single vision glasses fixed that issue.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I recently shot for the first time with progressive bifocal glasses. Never again....

Now have a pair of yellow tinted single vision glasses to shoot with.

The bifocals totally messed with my eye dominance. Had trouble seeing two barrels while attempting to focus on the target. Single vision glasses fixed that issue.

Did you get a special prescription for your single vision glasses? Tell the eye doctor you want one for seeing at whatever distance your front sight is from your eye. Have someone measure the distance from your eye to the front sight when you are in shooting position, if you have various barrel lengths pick the median distance.

Always focus on the front sight!

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Did you get a special prescription for your single vision glasses? Tell the eye doctor you want one for seeing at whatever distance your front sight is from your eye. Have someone measure the distance from your eye to the front sight when you are in shooting position, if you have various barrel lengths pick the median distance.

Always focus on the front sight!

Standard distance prescription.

FYI - When shooting a moving target with a shotgun your focus needs to be on your target, not the gun. Focus shifting to the gun and back to the target is a leading cause of misses. The gun should be a blur in your peripheral vision.

Think about hitting a baseball, you don't line up your wristband with the label on the bat, and concentrate on the label while the ball is a blur.......you concentrate on the ball, try to see the stitches like concentrate and let your hands put the bat on the ball.......

Concentrate on the target, like see the dimples concentrate, let your hands put the barrel on the moving target.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Standard distance prescription.

FYI - When shooting a moving target with a shotgun your focus needs to be on your target, not the gun. Focus shifting to the gun and back to the target is a leading cause of misses. The gun should be a blur in your peripheral vision.

Think about hitting a baseball, you don't line up your wristband with the label on the bat, and concentrate on the label while the ball is a blur.......you concentrate on the ball, try to see the stitches like concentrate and let your hands put the bat on the ball.......

Concentrate on the target, like see the dimples concentrate, let your hands put the barrel on the moving target.

Yeap.

I get my prescription shooting glasses from Morgan Optical in Orleans, NY. They are shooters and understand shooters needs.

I use Randolph Ranger frames, which puts the center of the prescription up higher, so perfect when your head is down on the stock.

Brown for sunny days. Yellow for cloudy days or indoor ranges.

And Target Purple (mix of pink and grey) for shotgun. It helps make most colors of clays pop against the background.

Many trap and skeet shooters use orange tint, but they shoot almost exclusively orange targets.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Yeap.

I get my prescription shooting glasses from Morgan Optical in Orleans, NY. They are shooters and understand shooters needs.

I use Randolph Ranger frames, which puts the center of the prescription up higher, so perfect when your head is down on the stock.

Brown for sunny days. Yellow for cloudy days or indoor ranges.

And Target Purple (mix of pink and grey) for shotgun. It helps make most colors of clays pop against the background.

Many trap and skeet shooters use orange tint, but they shoot almost exclusively orange targets.
    I was looking at Ranger and Decot. I had a pair of Decot with Plano lenses (wore contacts at the time) so I was going that direction. When I picked up my glasses at Lenscrafters, I inquired about having straight distance lenses put in my old frames. They had a $99 complete package special that was $30 less than new lenses, so I went that route. After consultation with the lab tech and the color chart on Decot's website. They were able to tint them yellow. Used them Sunday to take my Division in a Skeet Tournament!!! Mission accomplished!!!

I will probably get shooting glasses to get better multicolor target lenses, and probably darker for bright conditions, but these cheapies will work for now.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I am also right handed and Left eye dominant. I have quite few rifles and shoot them all left handed. Many are bolt action and I work the bolt fine. I have shot two deer in a quick sequence in the left eye scenario with a right handed bolt rifle. Whatever works for you.

Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    I’m L eye dominant and R handed. I learned to shoot by cheating and closing my L eye. That works fine on static ranges if you’re target shooting, but not at all well in dynamic shooting or—I assume that would extend to an actual gun fight.

My instructors encouraged me to transition to L handed shooting, but my L hand is borderline useless, so I resisted that. For me, everything clicked when I got issued an aimpoint. With whatever dot/holographic optic you use, you can only see the reticle with the eye on your shooting side. For me, this meant easy both eyes open shooting with long guns. I’m currently transitioning to a RDS on a pistol, and early results are good.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. I’m not an instructor or a great shooter, just sharing what worked for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom