• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I finally tried to cook a couple of burgers from my venison last week. I used the small charcoal grill but wasn't really satisfied with how they came out. I'll try using the propane grill next and sear the burgers. I used the burger meat to make meatballs and they tasted great with spagetti.

How do you'all cook your burgers?

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    It all depends on what you put in a mix. Usually for 80% of venison I add 20% of pork - not a pork bacon but rather fatty parts of pork belly. Also I add semi-fried chopped onion and small amount of garlic. It is a must to add white bread which was heavily soaked in water or milk. Add ground black pepper and salt (about 1.3% of entire weight of the mix).
    My proportions (in metric):
    * 2000g meat mix
    * 250g onion, chopped
    * 200g white bread
    * 200g milk
    * 30g garlic, minced
    * 1.3% salt
    * 3g ground black pepper
    Use chopper to chop all the meat with all the ingredients.
    After the mix is done you need to "knead" it intensively with hands or some electric dough mixer. Put it to the fridge for 2 hours. Take out, form the burgers, put back to fridge for 1 hour.
    Fry it in a pan on medium heat (no lid) for 9 mins, turn over every 30 secs.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    I run 100% venison and always have. I add one egg per pound of burger plus some bread crumbs. Typical burger is garlic powder, A1, black pepper and onion powder. Start on high to get a good seat then finish on medium and only flip right before they're done. Also make sure your grate is well oiled. I only cook on gas, can't comment for charcoal.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    Integrated bacon burger is the way. Pre-covid you could find bacon trimmings in 3lb bags at the grocery store for something like $2/lb. Not looking forward to grinding up full price bacon this year.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    I usually cut my venison burgers with a 2:1 mix of ground venison to loose venison sausage. Have had great results on both gas and charcoal.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Venison is so lean that you want to have something in there to retain moisture. Usually, in traditional butchery, this is done with pork fat which is why you see so many bacon or pork belly mix recipes.

Kstone803's mix using the egg (pure fat in the yolk) and A1 achieves the same thing (keeping things moist) through different methodology.

Regardless of how you go about it, you need to add fat to it. It can be frozen butter chunks that you mix with nearly frozen venison meat (frosty-cold) and then run through a grinder again twice more to distribute the butter, or rendered lard mixed in by hand, but you need something there or it'll crumble like a charcoal briquette and suck all the water out of your mouth otherwise.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    80/20 venison and pure pork fat. Pork belly works if you can't get your hands on fat from a butcher, but up it to 70/30. Cook it fast. Check out Scott Rea project on youtube for ideas for burgers and sausages.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    We used to run a lamb burger at O'Connell's when I was at the kitchen helm there over a decade ago. We would cut Kerry Gold butter into the lamb meat along with seasonings (toasted fennel seed, pepper, garlic, onion, Maldon sea salt) and then grill them up. The butter did an excellent job of keeping the moisture in and preventing the lean lamb meat from getting too dry. I've done the same with Elk as well. Good stuff.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    80/20 venison and pure pork fat. Pork belly works if you can't get your hands on fat from a butcher, but up it to 70/30. Cook it fast. Check out Scott Rea project on youtube for ideas for burgers and sausages.

I got pork trimmings from a butcher shop and also tried using bacon. I did about 20% pork on all of them.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    We used to run a lamb burger at O'Connell's when I was at the kitchen helm there over a decade ago. We would cut Kerry Gold butter into the lamb meat along with seasonings (toasted fennel seed, pepper, garlic, onion, Maldon sea salt) and then grill them up. The butter did an excellent job of keeping the moisture in and preventing the lean lamb meat from getting too dry. I've done the same with Elk as well. Good stuff.

There is a chain called Carver's around here and they serve "Butterburgers". Usually they're pretty good!

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    I make burger patties with a mix of 75% ground venison to 25% ground bacon. Also mix in fresh chopped jalapenos and high temp cheddar cheese. I'm probably a little OCD but I weigh out 5 oz portions and flatten in a burger press before freezing.

Before cooking, I thaw and soak in Dales steak seasoning (liquid) for a few hours, and season with ground pepper. Set grill at 350 degrees and grill for 7 minutes each side (flip once). Add a slice of cheese about 1 min before removing from the grill for extra-cheesey. Crowd pleaser every time.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Cheapest tube of sausage you can find it's 90% fat or 100% beef suet. Mix either using 85% venison. Deer has zero fat, needs fat mixed in.
    Your grill wasn't at fault, the ultra lean meat was.

Regular hamburgers 93 or 97% make a lousy dry burger that crumbles.... I've found ground chuck or 85% works best.... same with deer.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I’m going to have to try the ideas here cause I have failed on deer burgers.
    Now, we are famous for deer tacos cause the meat works just fine with taco seasoning. Most guests don’t even notice any difference other than how lean it is. I do jerky as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom