• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/a-primer-on-primers.6936610/

Basically it looks to me like they're saying there's not enough difference between Rifle and pistol primers to make it dangerous to use pistol primers in rifle loads and vice versa in times when primers are hard to come by. Take a look and see if that's not the message that you get.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    To clarify, not much difference between small rifle primers and small pistol primers. What I've read on Sniper's Hide and elsewhere is that the thickness of primer metal on the hammer/firing pin side is slightly thicker on the small rifle primer (not changing the overall dimensions of the primer) and the charge might be slightly more. I'm loading 38 Special with small rifle primers and doing a slight reduction in powder amounts with the walk-up (and going to stay under the suggested maximum).

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg

Park ranger

Ultimate Member
    Dec 6, 2015
    I didn't get that from the article. But guess what. In extreme shortages test and work up with what you got. Might be a mild load but 2200 fps isnt as good as 2700, but still better than nothing

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ahhh, Bringing back this Necro Thread for those of us that were around back then......

As mentioned, thickness as well as energy changes by manufacturer also.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=137696

I recall a post where someone was on the phone with CCI and claimed the person on the other end routinely used Standard Small Rifle Primers in Modern Pistols.

There are people who say ONLY use Military SRP for and AR and many many people only use Standard SRP for 223 in an AR.

With the primer shortage, it has lots of people thinking what they can get away with.

I"m betting if you have SPP and really need SRP, I bet you could trade. Seems SRP are easier to get than SPP right now, but still hard.

Luckily for me I had a pretty good supply of SPP and SRP along with a few bricks of LPP and LRPs. I have experimented using magnum primers where standard primers should be used with negligible changes in performance but i've never use SRP for SPP or vice versa. While it would probably work I would be concerned that if the cup is thicker in the SRP a pistol, especially a striker fire pistol might not be able to detonate them reliably and I would also be concerned that if the cups on SPP are thinner the firing pin on a rifle might pierce the primer.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/a-primer-on-primers.6936610/

Basically it looks to me like they're saying there's not enough difference between Rifle and pistol primers to make it dangerous to use pistol primers in rifle loads and vice versa in times when primers are hard to come by. Take a look and see if that's not the message that you get.

Thank you for posting lots of good information.

There is even more information at the original source that Snipershide got it from.
    Link to SKS Boards:
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=56422.0

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Ahh the primer discussions. I shoot a decent amount and personally find no difference spp/srp, chrono ed and just shooting my routine warm ups ... I can't find a difference. YMMV and rock on with your own feelings on this, shoot confidently!

Attachments

• primer energy.jpg
      primer energy.jpg
      49.3 KB · Views: 202

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    To clarify, not much difference between small rifle primers and small pistol primers. What I've read on Sniper's Hide and elsewhere is that the thickness of primer metal on the hammer/firing pin side is slightly thicker on the small rifle primer (not changing the overall dimensions of the primer) and the charge might be slightly more. I'm loading 38 Special with small rifle primers and doing a slight reduction in powder amounts with the walk-up (and going to stay under the suggested maximum).

This and no light strikes. You have my vote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom