• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Anyone here a pellet stove expert? I am looking to buy stove soon and was wondering what people are running/recommend.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I also have a Quadrafire Castile, but it is an insert and it works great. The hopper is pretty big. Kicks on and off as necessary.

I had a Quadrafire Millennium Wood Stove at my old house that I was very pleased with.

So.... I recommend Quadrafire.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    I have the Mount Vernon and it is a very nice, very 'automatic' insert. That said I also have a gas insert downstairs. If I had it to do over again I'd go gas simply because I don't have to haul bags of pellets, clean out the ashes, wash the glass front every week and make sure the flue gets cleaned at least every two years (depending on usage, might be yearly for you).
    As long as I have a gas supply I have heat. Not sure of the economics of gas vs pellets in your area. Without the gas insert I'd be very happy with the pellet insert. Ignorance is bliss school of thought...

boatme99

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2010
    Mid-Tenn.
    Pellets make a big difference. Shop for premium pellets.
    The cheaper ones are full of impurities, things like paper, cardboard, bark, glue, and a host of others. This creates ash and will need more frequent cleaning of everything.
    Single wood is best, usually fir.

Some premium brands I remember
    Vermont Pellets
    Kirkland
    O Kanagan Douglas Fir

It's important to keep the pellets dry. About 6.5% moisture max. If they seem moist coming out of the bag, bring some in in buckets to start drying out.

GASSMAN

Feb 14, 2009
    I have 2 quadrafire's, bought them both on clearance from Ace hardware in the off season, they were display models. Both are wood stoves, one is cast iron and it is free standing one is a steel insert. I considered pellet but I feel its a bit to complicated as far as electronics thermostats etc. Also I don't like the idea if the power goes out you can't run the stove.

I have yet to turn my heat on this year. 2 stoves all wood, I had my living room at 75 last night and had to crack a window. As far as the heat is concerned there is nothing better than wood, its better than gas oil and electric IMO. It just feels better to me. Obviously you have to deal with firewood, processing storing etc but I don't mind it. Just my .02 cents..

bstanley

Dec 1, 2010
    Gambrills
    i have a quadrafire castile and i love it i would say that having one with a thermostat is necessary, the only thing i don't like about mine is the hopper is a little small it has a 40lbs capacity but its a tight fit.

Frostadams

Mar 31, 2016
    Whatever you get make sure it has fresh air intake, they have new snorkel so you don't have to drill masonry.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    I have 2 quadrafire's, bought them both on clearance from Ace hardware in the off season, they were display models. Both are wood stoves, one is cast iron and it is free standing one is a steel insert. I considered pellet but I feel its a bit to complicated as far as electronics thermostats etc. Also I don't like the idea if the power goes out you can't run the stove.

I have yet to turn my heat on this year. 2 stoves all wood, I had my living room at 75 last night and had to crack a window. As far as the heat is concerned there is nothing better than wood, its better than gas oil and electric IMO. It just feels better to me. Obviously you have to deal with firewood, processing storing etc but I don't mind it. Just my .02 cents..

That's surprising, coming from the gASSMAN.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    We have a Harman Accentra that's starting it's third winter for us. Had a no name free standing at the old house. Loved both of them. The Harman is their top of the line stove and has a price tag to match but works really well. I personally prefer a wood stove but the wife hates them and I travel for work so pellets has been a good option for us.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    I definitely preferred the heat output of my old wood stove but carrying in one bag of pellets a day from the garage has been much better than bringing in a few wheelbarrows full of wood. We'll see if I still feel that way in the dead of winter.

hchon3

Aug 8, 2017
    Thank you for all your replies. Unfortunately gas is not an option for me and I'm dumping my wood stove to go with pellets so my heat pump doesn't have to stay on 24/7. I was considering a enviro meridian insert but the place i was going to buy from didn't have any in-stock and jacked up the price a few hundred. I looked into quadrafire but I didn't see a model that matched the specs of the enviro while in the 3k range. I might suck it up and wait till the summer to buy a stove. Hopefully I can get a good deal on one.

Wiseguy59

Sep 10, 2013
    Northern Balto. County
    I purchased my Quadra Fire insert in Delaware, so I wouldn't have to pay sales tax.
    Sales tax on a $3100 stove adds up, and it made for a nice day trip too.
    I have to stove hooked up to a thermostat, and it keeps the first floor of my house warm.
    When it comes to pellets, I compare all pellets to Lignetics, since they seem to be the most widely available.
    I've used Lignetics which aren't too bad, Golden Pellet which have less ash and clinkers, and Turman pellets which have even less ash.
    Carrying in a bag of pellets is a lot cleaner and easier than bringing in firewood.
    I'm looking to get a vacuum made for ash, so I won't have to wait as long for the stove to cool down before I can clean it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom