• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    Has anyone been to one of these?

My normal range I can go out to 600 well at least (100,150,200,300,400,500,600) so I already have that data. I'm looking to fill in my data that I'm missing between what I have and out to 1K.

Looked on their website I don't see how many rounds you can sling at each target or the ranges etc. I should have my range finder by then but curious to see if you just move around the range is it one firing point and a sea of targets to self engage or, firing points with only certain targets and a time limit?

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Has anyone been to one of these?

My normal range I can go out to 600 well at least (100,150,200,300,400,500,600) so I already have that data. I'm looking to fill in my data that I'm missing between what I have and out to 1K.

Looked on their website I don't see how many rounds you can sling at each target or the ranges etc. I should have my range finder by then but curious to see if you just move around the range is it one firing point and a sea of targets to self engage or, firing points with only certain targets and a time limit?

I’ve been a few times and in general you position yourself on top of the hill and shoot. They don’t have any limits on the length of time or number if rounds you shoot at a specific target.

I would describe the shooting position as well as the range as roughly crescent shaped. There are a group of targets directly south positioned about 400-450 yds then going counterclockwise they are positioned further and further away the group of targets directly west are about 850-1050 yds.

Since the shooting position is also crescent shaped you cannot shoot at the longest ranged targets unless you are setup on the NW edge of the shooting position. Likewise if you want to shoot at the closest targets you need to be setup at the SE shooting position.

It’s not uncommon for guys to setup on one end shoot for an hour and then pickup and move to to the other side and shoot at different targets.

They will usually tell you the ranges and sizes of the targets but having a range finder is very helpful IMO.

66f1839b16651b9651d6f3948b817b0a.jpg

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Tool AA pretty much covered it. It's a good time and well worth the $75. If you go out and shoot a Long Range Challenge, it's actually cheaper. Once you get your dope on Frontier Day you should go back and enter a LRC, it's a great low key long range competition to start with.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I've shot on the Frontier Range a couple times, and it's phenomenal. Really the only place remotely around here to stretch to a thousand yards.

Scrounger

Jul 16, 2018
    Southern Maryland
    I have shot on the Frontier Range several times. ToolAA gives a good description of the range layout. I’ll add a few things.

There is a lower firing line and an upper firing line. The range personnel decide which firing line they will use for the day. The upper firing line provides longer distances. The range personnel go out early in the morning and paint the targets with fresh white paint. That makes it easier to see both the targets and the bullet strikes.

If you can go out with a shooting partner it makes it nice to trade off shooting and spotting for one another. That also allows the barrels to cool between strings.

The targets are mostly arranged in groups of five. They are generally marked with a lettered panel, A, B, C, D, and E. And the ranges could be 418, 436, 465, 446, 475 yards. The ranges could also be 765, 748, 789, 756, 739.

Things that are nice to have besides rifle and ammo. A good shooting mat, spotting scope, range finder, notebook and writing instrument. If you are shooting a semi-auto a brass catching net is useful. Some like to bring a large outdoor carpet to lay everything on, both to catch the brass but also keep things clean. During the summer, a pop-up tent/ sunshade is useful.

There is a safety briefing then everyone gets to fire. They do have spotting scopes and can give you the ranges, however having your own scope speeds things up.

I usually take two rifles. The last time I went out it was to confirm the zeros on a hunting rifle and work on the zeros of another rifle. I have three different loads for one rifle. I would range the target, adjust the scope, take the shot. That would be for load one. Then repeat the process for loads two and three. Then switch targets and do it all over again. As far as how many rounds to fire that is up to you. I think I fired around 160 rounds one day. Yes, if I’m going to spend a day at the range, I’m going to put some rounds down range. It is a lot of fun and one can find out what you can do. By the way, for ranging the elevation is 700 feet.

deerassassin22

Apr 12, 2016
    Littlestown, PA
    ^^^ Aweseom Thanks.

I just joined I was only on the waitlist like 3 weeks. I missed the Frontier day due to a funeral so I was planning on going up sometime this week to pickup my badge and do the 100yards Qualification Target for my rifle (5 Shot GRP 100yards less than 1MOA).

What range is the Frontier Range is it always open to members?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom