• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • volodya84

MDS Supporter
    Aug 23, 2017
    Anyonegave anything in that caliber? Thoughts? Opinions?

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Depending on use it's near perfect for many. Light recoil, terrific trajectory, reloadable and accurate.

It's not an big bear or moose rifle but more than adequate for any deer size animal and even black bear.

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Good for medium game, like deer, hogs, lopes, and predators like yotes or fox where their take is legal.

And 243 Is also based on the same casing as the 308, just necked down. (The 7.08 is similarly based on the 308)

I’ve see some articles about elk with 243, but that just seemed a little bit of a mismatch, imho.

lim144

Jan 3, 2014
    My 243 win gets 100 grain bullets, Speer Grand Slam, and is very effective on deer. 90 grain Nosler accubond should work well, but I only shot paper with it so far. Low recoil and flat shooting. .243 win is a great round. So is 6mm CM

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I'm currently in the market for a .243 barrel for my T/C Encore. I plan to make it my primary deer rifle for rifle counties. I love that round.

PGTMG

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have used mine in a impromptu precision/hunting rifle match and did far better than expected. My rifle barrel is has a twist rate that favors 100 grain bullets but can shoot 80 and 90= grain bullets as well. I just find it very comfortable to shoot.

730waters

Apr 20, 2013
    Rising Sun, Md
    I have been shooting the 243 in a 15" Encore barrel for about 23 years. I have taken many deer with it with Nosler BT's and Partitions. I took it to Wyoming on an Antelope hunt and wound up taken a doe at about 150 yards with it. It is a great medium size game caliber. It is easy to reload, easy on the recoil, which makes it fun to shoot for just about the whole family. In the single shot platform, it is a all round caliber,

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    My opinion differs from others. I’ve killed a few deer with a 243 Win. Both bucks were one shot kills, but neither were impressive drop in their tracks like I’ve always experienced with bigger rifles when the shot landed in the same place.
    As far as ammo prices, I was seeing 6.5 Creedmoor, 270, 30-06, and other similar calibers cheaper than 243. I sold my 243 because it just wasn’t my cup of tea.

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    My youngest son asked me to put his Savage .243 in the classifieds, about a month ago.

It's still sitting here. He's shot less than a box of ammo through it, from what I remember.

Blue steel w/walnut stock. Some no-name scope on it.

One person said they were interested in it, but never got back in touch.
    The ad dropped off the classifieds.

Brad is asking $450 for it. It's in perfect condition.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    243 killing effect is slow on larger deer compared to other common calibers used for the same purpose. Especially when they're alert.

But, its easy to shoot and make hits with so it has popularity. Ammo is usually plentiful and commonly found, theirs a lot of nice guns to be had in 243 caliber.

My opinion differs from others. I’ve killed a few deer with a 243 Win. Both bucks were one shot kills, but neither were impressive drop in their tracks like I’ve always experienced with bigger rifles when the shot landed in the same place.
    As far as ammo prices, I was seeing 6.5 Creedmoor, 270, 30-06, and other similar calibers cheaper than 243. I sold my 243 because it just wasn’t my cup of tea.

So a high shoulder shot with this round won't anchor a 200# whitetail?
    Maybe I should consider my second choice, 25-06?

amsmlmssml

Feb 2, 2012
    Northern Frederick County
    I began hunting deer with a 32spl, moved on to 270, 30-06, 264 mag over the years. I won a Savage bolt gun chambered in 243 in one of those gun raffles. Combo gun with cheap Simmons scope. Began shooting it exclusively. Cheap ammo, accurate as hell, very little recoil and has killed everything I have shot. Dropped many in their tracks with head and neck shots due to its accuracy. Would highly recommend for mid to small game for adults or youth. Great predator round as well.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    So a high shoulder shot with this round won't anchor a 200# whitetail?
    Maybe I should consider my second choice, 25-06?

.243 for me (like many) was my first "tweener" between .223 and .30-06. In other words, heavy enough for deer, and a heavier varmint wind cheater. But when I was kicking this question around, times were earlier.

For me, I never really could answer your question with one single rifle, in a way that satisfied me. Hell, they're all fun, and something else to load for and experiment with. So I would up with .22-250, .243, and .260 as my gappers. All are varmint/deer versatile. All have their place, depending upon what you prioritize at the moment.

If my MAIN consideration was leaning heavily toward one gun deer? Well, I've killed my share of deer with .243. But I honestly like more deer rifle. That's just me.

Yeah, I'd sooner go .25-06. Or to make tough choices tougher, one of the 6.5's.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks for your thoughts. To the OP, sorry for the hijack, but I think you'll appreciate the points brought out so far.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads