• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    We have put a few hundred rounds through our 44 and haven’t had a misfeed yet. There are lots of YouTube videos showing how nice it shoots.
    A quote from my kid after putting about 50 rounds through one....I shot it and I like the way it shoots. I’d be happy with one. Sometimes keep it simple is a good rule.

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    Happy wife, happy life.

Make sure she enjoys the hobby, then you'll look forward to pondering your 12th etc. purchase.

Ah...youth.

I live by this! It’s probably why I’m having such a hard time. Heart says buy for me. Head says get a fun shooter for the wife and kids.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Happy spouse, happy house - it needs to go both ways IMO.

Anywho...

Don't overthink this second gun too much. As others have said, it's going to be a progression of filling in gaps for what you'll determine you want or need. You've already decided that there will be a second, and it will move forward from there - that's how I do it anyway.

In the last couple of years I've filled in several of those gaps:

I wanted:
    1. polymer framed pistol - H&K USP 45
    2. 40 S&W - Walther P99
    3. 9mm to fill out the trifecta - Sig 226 Mk 25
    4. AR - Two builds finished
    5. A newer 1911 - two Dan Wesson 1911s

I also picked up a really sweet sporter rifle in there that wasn't on the list, but it was a opportunity I couldn't pass up.

To continue the list for future acquisitions, and in no particular order - they're just things I want:

6. 2020 Colt Python
    7. Sig P320/M17
    8. AR 10 build
    9. 44 Mag so I can retire my old S&W pre-29
    10. Tacticool bolt gun build for varminting
    11. Tacticool build on a Mossberg or Remington pump shotgun

Needless to say, it's going to take a while - a few years at the very least - 1-5 took me from about 2013 to the present. (I forgot - I picked up a Ruger 10/22 somewhere in there too.)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    So as I’ve been looking around a new one pops into the mix...CZ Scorpion Evo or mini. My LGS has one on the shelf I need to look at. I know...I know...it’s out of the blue. It scratches the fun range toy and good home defense itches. And I suspect it will be more fun for the girls to shoot. So it’s a tangent, but I’m going to check it out.
    I had one. They're nice guns. I didn't like the mag seating (I'm picky) so eventually sold it. During the summer panic. Made money.

Be warned thought that these recoil harder than an AR-15. Most people think pistol caliber carbine, just a 9mm round, it won't be bad. And it isn't, but it's sharper than new shooters expect. By contrast, a Ruger 10/22 feels like nothing, and new shooters can go at it as long as you have ammo. An AR-15 has slightly more impulse, but very controllable. An AR-15 is much much louder than a Ruger 10/22 of course.

I like your plan to get an AR-15 stripped receiver, and shop for a 22LR handgun or rifle now. JamesDong and others suggest a highly versatile 12 gauge too, and this certainty would be in any list of 5 essential firearms to own (you'll likely find several old threads on this topic).

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    Yeah this is definitely not the family friendly choice. But it replaces the 22ARs because the wife is not gonna be thrilled about any of those (mostly likely) based on looks alone. So I might as well get what I want.

But the kid really likes the 22 semi pistol...

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    You cannot go wrong with a AR15... firearm prices are absurd and the longer you wait the more you'll pay.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    All you need is IMO:

A Pistol, whatever
    A Shotgun, whatever
    A Semiauto Rifle, whatever
    A .22, again whatever

These four guns cover every contingency, HD, Hunting, Fun (clays, target, plinking)

It's simple, the rest is up to the operator's needs and wants. There are too many threads with this topic and everyone has a different opinion based on what suits them. Do what you can or want based on your situation...

bronco

Dec 14, 2020
    se Va
    OP, with your first being a pistol, under the current political climate I'd look for a semi-auto 5.56/.223 rifle for some power at reasonable range. An AR shouldn't be too hard to find or too pricey yet, but likely could be in the near future. I'd go for both a .22 rifle and a shotgun after that. Last would be a 7.62/.308/30-06 (bolt-action or semi-auto) for some real power at longer range. That's my basic list of 5. Have fun, shoot and enjoy.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Yeah this is definitely not the family friendly choice. But it replaces the 22ARs because the wife is not gonna be thrilled about any of those (mostly likely) based on looks alone. So I might as well get what I want.

But the kid really likes the 22 semi pistol...
    Ruger 10/22 rifles come in many flavors and have many after market options, including stocks. There might be ones that would appeal to both you and family members. This 10/22 (I have several) with the Magpul takedown stock packs easy in a small shoulder bag, has storage for three 10-rd mags, and is super light ...

bed6ba2d3d675354455d75a74f1c47a8.jpg

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    And for 22LR rifles, there are a bunch of great choices; bolt guns, lever action, semi-auto. Marlin 60, Ruger 10/22, CZ and Savage make nice 22 bolt guns, Henry lever action.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Ruger 10/22 rifles come in many flavors and have many after market options, including stocks. There might be ones that would appeal to both you and family members. This 10/22 (I have several) with the Magpul takedown stock packs easy in a small shoulder bag, has storage for three 10-rd mags, and is super light ...

You are such a enabler. :D

I got one of those, because you recommended it. I must say that I do like the takedown.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    You are such a enabler. :D

I got one of those, because you recommended it. I must say that I do like the takedown.

Lol, you should speak. You know who I was referring to in the below ...

I ordered AR-15 lower receivers only when MD decided to ban future purchase of all but heavy barrel AR-15 rifles. I started accumulating parts over time.

Eventually a friend and I were planning on a range day, went, and the range was closed for maintenance. So we were wondering what to do, and he knowing that I had purchased all the parts that I needed for a build, suggested why don't we do this. Went back to my place, and he told me what I needed to do, step by step. No YouTube needed. It was a fantastic busted day. Now I have an undetermined amount of them.

;)

drickster

Sep 22, 2020
    Baltimore
    So I guess this thread is a little bit of a peek inside my process. I love all the ideas and comments so Thank you!

here's where I am today.... I have definitely moved to the "lets have fun shooting as a family" camp. While the home defense SHTF gun is in my mind its very abstract for me at this time. I'm also balancing out not freaking out my wife, who is getting a little more comfortable but is not all that comfortable. So at this point the Walther PPQ 22 Tactical is the lead. That way we can get a suppressor for fun and its least scary to the wife. I like the semi pistol better than a rifle because I'll mostly be in a range and a pistol is just easier.The more i think about it I don't want a 22 AR platform as it would probably cause anxiety and slow me down in a full build in the future. i recognize that I may end up limited in what I can build later on but that's a risk I'll take. I'm not gonna lie though, the CX Scorpion looks hella fun and would probably be what I'd get if I was single :).

My next step is to get out to the range and see what I can plink and talk to the guys about ordering. That's probably gonna happen after Christmas.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    If you want quiet, without the Big Brother May I stamp, see if you can find a bolt action rifle chambered in 22lr. A Savage, Remington, heck even a KSA Cricket loaded up with some CCI Quiet will sound like a pellet gun. Ammunition selection is at least half of the equation in any shooting solution.

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    If you want quiet, without the Big Brother May I stamp, see if you can find a bolt action rifle chambered in 22lr. A Savage, Remington, heck even a KSA Cricket loaded up with some CCI Quiet will sound like a pellet gun. Ammunition selection is at least half of the equation in any shooting solution.

Taking it a step further, Aguila sells powder only 22LR ammo that is whisper quiet in a .22 rifle. It’s low power and only accurate to ~25 yards but is as non-threatening as it gets. The hammer strike is mostly what you hear. It is louder but still well below the ear protection threshold in a handgun.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Ruger 10/22 rifles come in many flavors and have many after market options, including stocks. There might be ones that would appeal to both you and family members. This 10/22 (I have several) with the Magpul takedown stock packs easy in a small shoulder bag, has storage for three 10-rd mags, and is super light ..

One of the things that always impressed me about the AR7 is that when it's packed up, it actually floats. n Does the Magpul X-22 stock offer that?

I really like the looks of that. Seems that it's a similar solution for a lightweight survival-type .22 that the AR7 offered, but on a platform that's decidedly more reliable.

Does anyone know the weight differences between them off the top of their head? Looks like I've got some reading to do.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Very much doubt that the 10/22 takedown in the Magpul stock would float. I can weigh it later when I'm home, but would guess it's approximately 4.5 lbs. Possibly less. It is easy to pack and carry. I've been very happy with the substitution of the original Ruger stock with the Magpul one.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Very much doubt that the 10/22 takedown in the Magpul stock would float. I can weigh it later when I'm home, but would guess it's approximately 4.5 lbs. Possibly less. It is easy to pack and carry. I've been very happy with the substitution of the original Ruger stock with the Magpul one.
    I remember that as a kid in the 70s/80s reading about the AR7 in my Dad's gun publications, the ability to float was one of the big things touted about it, but the truth is, if you were ever in a situation where you REALLY needed that feature, chances are you've got bigger problems to worry about.

I really really like the Magpul solution. It's now on "the list" - my constantly growing/shifting list of guns and related items I want to pick up in the near future.

On a side note, there's something I've always really liked about the stainless/tan combination with guns - if that's a pic of your personal Magpul-10/22, I like that a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom