• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Anyone out here have ballistic gel?

I want to try hitting it w/ a couple bullets at 500y to see what the expansion is. I might try water jugs too but that's not as good of representation of groundhog/deer as ballistic gel would be.. i think/assume.

I'm looking to test a 300win mag, 165gr and 220gr bullet. And a little 22-250 69gr bullet.

mauser58

My home is a sports store
    Dec 2, 2020
    Baltimore County, near the Bay
    I am not sure where to buy gel or if the average person can. I have did plenty of work as a subcontractor for the military. I have built boxes where they do ballistics tests for the military ammo they develop. The gel is in molds with the clay type also. It is actually heated to certain temp till internal temps are correct. They then test ammo by shooting into it. I have never seen a private person with gel.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Anyone out here have ballistic gel?

I want to try hitting it w/ a couple bullets at 500y to see what the expansion is. I might try water jugs too but that's not as good of representation of groundhog/deer as ballistic gel would be.. i think/assume.

I'm looking to test a 300win mag, 165gr and 220gr bullet. And a little 22-250 69gr bullet.

*****It's quite expensive and not easy to get in the civilian market, as far as I know. It must also, to be effective for measuring expansion, be at a certain temperature, as well as enclosed somehow to keep from simply falling apart from a shot.

I know folks have used, as a less than perfect substitute, clay blocks encapsulated in wood or other forms to test projectiles. The clay is uniform and would ideally be at an appropriate temperature for repeatable tests to measure expansion and entry/exit holes, etc... The clay I have seen used is a type of modeling clay sold in some hobby stores. It works ok, and is inexpensive enough to purchase in bulk.

The other possibility is to just tie up a relatively fresh deer or pig carcass and shoot at it. It's not exact as the animal is already dead, but it would show penetration and expansion to a better degree than just water jugs, or wood, phone books if they still exist, etc..

Bonus with a pig carcass, if fresh enough, is having an MDS pig roast after you've put a few holes in the thing... :D

mlj427

Sep 28, 2020
    Is this what you are looking for? They have several but really expensive. Google search also showed others.

Attachments

• 756F5639-3579-418A-A538-00AE9EBCA368.jpg
      756F5639-3579-418A-A538-00AE9EBCA368.jpg
      77.5 KB · Views: 182

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    " Genuine " Ballistic Gel is expensive , and a pain in the butt to deal with , particularly in regards to temperature sensitivity .

There have been a couple of easier to handle alternatives on the commercial market , but the above linked Clear Ballistics products linked above are probably the best , and most closely replicate the original .

Up to you if it's worth a couple hundred $ for this vs a combined approach of both water saturated newsprint and water jugs . ( Wet pack can do somewhat close aproximation of expansion , but not penetration , and water a somewhat close relative ( using a conversion factor) penetration , but not expansion .

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    *****Im really holding out that the OP saves his money and just uses a fresh pig carcass, does his research, and then holds an MDS pig roast, but charges $10 for a nice plate of pulled pork, ribs, and take home bacon/ham....:innocent0

Our local Mission BBQ is closed to indoor dining now, and carry out is just not the same...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I believe it also requires a special cooker as well.

OP, you could go old school and shoot dogs...

Just Kidding. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom