• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I have an Armalite AR-10 "B series" w/20" barrel. About 3.5 inches from the crown it has a damaged section of the rifling that IDK but I suspect is most of the reason why accuracy with this particular rifle is so pathetically terrible and has been from day one. This is not the extra bling match grade SS barrel or any of that fluff. Regular steel barrel w/standard handguard.

Being the proprietary Armalite pattern and NOT the more industry standardized DPMS just buying another upper is not really possible and even before all the BS of the past year they were already discontinued/backordered forever anyways.

Not even sure if buying a barrel and swapping it would be practical as I believe there is something proprietary about the gas tube and barrel with respect to length and receiver interface. This would be the barrel I'd like use but it is discontinued/backordered as well. https://www.armalite.com/SACItem.as...Category=043384e5-970f-407f-b604-f6e324f0b737

I am not worried about originality or ruining something.

Same day service would be great. I dont mind driving 2-3 hours to someone who can evaluate this thing and give it a yes or no on cutting down and re threading the end and if necessary permanently installing a muzzle device to make it 16 inches long.

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    Thanks for the link,,
    makes me think I don't really need to buy a lathe at those prices :)

Cut an thread by this guy:
    https://www.ar15.com/forums/equipme...tta-21A-FAL-PAPM92-Pin-and-Welds/143-1029861/

Join ARFCOM for the cheap price. Or buy a barrel, that's what I'd do.

Another guy to chop an do the work:
    https://retroarmsworks.com/
    JT is a master Smith. An will tell you if the barrel is toast.

Now, JT or somebody like him is what you need. As the gas port might need some love.

Good luck!

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    I doubt you are going to find anyone doing same day service.

Dwilson mfg did a great job on a barrel I sent. Other than that, Duffy's or Scott's would be my choices.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    While I also like to stay local. All the good shops tend to have multi month lead times.

You can ship it out, and have it back in a week, door to door.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    https://class3machining.com/?fbclid=IwAR0grgkEAOPQukAQXlPoYcHuZe-ilh6C51foHFziXZ1YnK1d6n7Wjy_6mPo

I used this company for cutting and threading. Turn around 1 week. Very satisfied

morgan@class3machining.com email him directly

He threaded a barrel for me for a suppressor a while back. Super responsive and fast turn around. I was reading that he evidently keeps a log of every barrel he threads for a can in case he has some reported problem. Sounds like a nice thorough machinist

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

RWB2012

Dec 20, 2013
    Oakland MD
    Ill cut it down for ya if you want to ship it up to me and will mail it back finished within 48 hours of getting it. My shop is in Garrett County so if you wanna go for a drive and we work out a time ill do it while you go get lunch so you won't have to make a 2nd trip. pm me if you're interested

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Yeah, I shortened an illegal PSA AR 16" barrel to turn it into a pistol. Wasn't horrible to thread on a decent lathe but found that the rifled bore was offset there. Didn't affect anything but it looked funny...

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    If it is an Armalite upper, I'd send it back to them. I sent my gun back twice (I'm sure it was well over a year after I bought it the 2nd time) and they fixed my issue for me. You'll need to call them to get an RA number first, which will let you know if they will take it or not (I bet they do)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have used Short Action Customs in Ohio and Long Rifles Inc in Sturgis, ND.

SAC threaded a barrel and timed a muzzle brake to a Rem 700 barreled action. Door to door, UPS Ground was 1 week.

LRI threaded a barrel, fabricated a thread protector and Cerkoted the bare barrel. Also 1 week door to door. Barrel was in house overnight.

But did SUPERB work. When the thread protector is on the one barrel, you CANNOT see the join line.

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    Ill cut it down for ya if you want to ship it up to me and will mail it back finished within 48 hours of getting it. My shop is in Garrett County so if you wanna go for a drive and we work out a time ill do it while you go get lunch so you won't have to make a 2nd trip. pm me if you're interested

I'll be in touch. You are out there (I had to look up Oakland,Md) :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom