AR pistol to SBR... can I keep my folder?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    Hi All

All this talk lately about the ATF going after braces again has got me thinking about the pistol build I’ve been collecting parts for.

I’m building a short stroke gas piston 300 Blk 10” pistol with a Law Tactical folder, a brace and a suppressor.

The folder adds almost an inch to the length bringing the OAL to 29.5”.

If I go the SBR route can I keep the folder?... or will I need to come up with some other way to meet the 29” OAL requirement?

Thanks for the guidance

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    The folder mechanism would have to go because you can't have folding stock with a flash suppressor ( sound suppressor counts). All centrefire SBRs are subject to the copycat rules regardless of it being an HBAR or not. You can probably get a longer 7 position buffer tube to help you obtain the 29" oal. I hope this helps

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    The folder mechanism would have to go because you can't have folding stock with a flash suppressor ( sound suppressor counts). All centrefire SBRs are subject to the copycat rules regardless of it being an HBAR or not. You can probably get a longer 7 position buffer tube to help you obtain the 29" oal. I hope this helps
    I thought Maryland treated SBRs as pistols. Seems like it's not worth it if they play regulate it as both a pistol and a rifle

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Different for pre-'13 lowers? (folder)

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    Reason I’m unfortunately going with a muzzle brake/comp. Probably won’t be the friendliest guy to shoot next to but will get around MD laws.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009

I have read it right here on this site that a LawTac folder doesn't count as a folding stock. Something about it not being designed to fire with it folded. Usual I am not a lawyer here, but I'm not sure on this one.

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    I thought Maryland treated SBRs as pistols. Seems like it's not worth it if they play regulate it as both a pistol and a rifle

Unfortunately it's both, hence the 29" oal requirement. atf won't even approve a stamp unless its 29" with the sole exception of rimfire .22.

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    I have read it right here on this site that a LawTac folder doesn't count as a folding stock. Something about it not being designed to fire with it folded. Usual I am not a lawyer here, but I'm not sure on this one.

Never heard that before, but from my understanding, they still allow a single shot to be fired with the stock folded, so I'm unsure how it couldn't be a folding stock. I personally wouldn't take the risk.

outobie

Mar 7, 2012
    Annapolis
    Unfortunately it's both, hence the 29" oal requirement. atf won't even approve a stamp unless its 29" with the sole exception of rimfire .22.

This will be my first SBR. What’s the process?
    My going in assumption was that you submit paperwork to SBR your lower then build it once the paperwork is complete. The above post seems to indicate you build the SBR first so it can be examined against the paperwork.

Can anyone recommend a good shop in the annapolis/severna park area that can help me through this process?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    My going in assumption was that you submit paperwork to SBR your lower then build it once the paperwork is complete. The above post seems to indicate you build the SBR first so it can be examined against the paperwork.

Can anyone recommend a good shop in the annapolis/severna park area that can help me through this process?

Do not build it until you get your stamp!

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015

The process to make one is going to be filing an e-form 1, on the form you put down the anticipated oal, caliber, action type, serial number, local chief of law enforcement info, your personal info, and passport style photo. From there you click submit and pay the $200 using a cc. After all of that is complete, you should get a cover letter with a barcodefor the atf and another form to print out which you'll mail to your local chief of law enforcement. The cover letter needs to be printed out and sent into the atf along with 2 fd-258 fingerprint cards. After all of that, just wait. The next part can be done at any point, but I personally wait until the stamp is approved. Once the form gets approved, you need to have the gun engraved with your name, city, and state as it appears on the form. I hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to pm me

FrankZ

Liberty = Responsibility
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    The process to make one is going to be filing an e-form 1, on the form you put down the anticipated oal, caliber, action type, serial number, local chief of law enforcement info, your personal info, and passport style photo. From there you click submit and pay the $200 using a cc. After all of that is complete, you should get a cover letter with a barcodefor the atf and another form to print out which you'll mail to your local chief of law enforcement. The cover letter needs to be printed out and sent into the atf along with 2 fd-258 fingerprint cards. After all of that, just wait. The next part can be done at any point, but I personally wait until the stamp is approved. Once the form gets approved, you need to have the gun engraved with your name, city, and state as it appears on the form. I hope this helps. If you have any questions feel free to pm me

It's so nice they made a process that is straight forward and easy so we can exercise our rights.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

No, it wouldn't.

Because the Law Tactical Folder does NOT permit you to fire the pistol with the buffer tube folded. The folding stock, evil feature only applies to those items that are actual folding stocks (i.e. AK, HK, etc.) that still permit the firearm to be fired with the the stock folded. NOT an ACCESSORY that reduces the the size of the firearm for storage and does not permit it to fire when folded.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

This is correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom