• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Been around since the mid 1950's. Developed by the military to duplicate .30-06 performance in short action rifles, it's one of the all-time-great calibers, IMO.

Although not identical, the .308 Winchester and 7.62x51mm NATO cartridges are similar enough that they can be loaded into rifles chambered for the other round, but the .308 Winchester cartridges are typically loaded to higher pressures than 7.62x51mm NATO service cartridges. Even though the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI) does not consider it unsafe to fire commercial .308 Winchester rounds in weapons chambered for the 7.62x51, there has been significant discussion about compatible chambers and muzzle pressures between the two cartridges based on powder loads, chamber dimensions and wall thicknesses. As the chambers differ accordingly the head space gauges used for the two chamberings also differ.

bronco

Dec 14, 2020
    se Va
    If you have fun shooting 223/556, you'll feel you just grew up shooting 308. More power!
    All kidding aside its a great round to shoot. If you load your own there are a lot of options and tuning too.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If you have fun shooting 223/556, you'll feel you just grew up shooting 308. More power!
    All kidding aside its a great round to shoot. If you load your own there are a lot of options and tuning too.

Depends, IMHO. Maybe getting in to my late 30s I've become a princess.

The recoil for .308 and .30-06 isn't too much, even from a bench. But I don't enjoy shooting it a ton. Like, okay great, a box of ammo. But if it was all I was shooting and bringing a few boxes of ammo, nah. Maybe if I was shooting it all off hand. Doesn't mean I can't. It doesn't leave me bruised and battered. You know though, my shouldering being a bit sore after a range trip stopped being fun a couple of years ago.

Now, if I were to buy/build a heavy bench gun, okay yeah .308 would be just fine. My guns in .308 are an 8lb Sako Forester and a hair under 9lbs AR-10. My only .30-06 is a Garand (Garand is gentler than either of the .308, but probably the extra weight and Garand .30-06 loads are roughly the same ME as a hotter .308 means it is a softer shooter).

At least in summer weight clothes by a box in the Sako my shoulder is getting sore. Two boxes for the AR-10. Garand is about 40-48 rounds is when my shoulder starts letting me know. This is all off a bench. Off hand it takes somewhat more. Winter weight clothing is at least 2x or more before I notice it.

On the other hand, you know what feels big boy still compared to a .223 that is never going to hurt at all? 6.5 Grendel...

I could sit down and shoot 100 rounds of that prone from my 7.5lb with scope Howa and I am not going to feel it later. But it still lets you know its there....:D

PS The one that DOES beat the crap out of me is my muzzle loader. 110gr of BH209 and a 300gr bullet gets things scooting at pushing 2050fps out of my CVA wolf, and the powder is less efficient then smokeless, so more free recoil energy on that gun. And it is 7lbs with scope. About the equivalent of shooting 3" magnum shells from my 870. That WILL bruise my shoulder after about 10 rounds.

bronco

Dec 14, 2020
    se Va
    You're going to have to make room in the safe because you're going to want more .308 rifles. I especially like an M1 Garand in .308. That would be my favorite.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Been around since the mid 1950's. Developed by the military to duplicate .30-06 performance in short action rifles, it's one of the all-time-great calibers, IMO.

Although not identical, the .308 Winchester and 7.62x51mm NATO cartridges are similar enough that they can be loaded into rifles chambered for the other round, but the .308 Winchester cartridges are typically loaded to higher pressures than 7.62x51mm NATO service cartridges. Even though the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (SAAMI) does not consider it unsafe to fire commercial .308 Winchester rounds in weapons chambered for the 7.62x51, there has been significant discussion about compatible chambers and muzzle pressures between the two cartridges based on powder loads, chamber dimensions and wall thicknesses. As the chambers differ accordingly the head space gauges used for the two chamberings also differ.

Thats a pretty good explanation.

NAto minimum chambers are greater than commercial 308 no go chamber specifications.
    The problem chamber is the 308 minimum spec and using Nato cartridges with additional cartridge headspace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom