• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JChad12

Dec 11, 2020
    Upper Marlboro
    The other day I saw a thread about scopes and such. Anywho, my poverty search skills didn't let me find the thread. In it some people were offering to sell scopes they have and such. Lookin for a decent but budget friendly scope. Any personal recommendations/testimonials? I'm hoping to stay in the $150-300 range. Im a very casual shooter.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    It's tough at that price range considering the capability of the rifle. My only suggestion is to wait until you save a few hundred more and then you'll way better options.

I believe you'll hear a lot of "buy once, cry once."

Good luck.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    The other day I saw a thread about scopes and such. Anywho, my poverty search skills didn't let me find the thread. In it some people were offering to sell scopes they have and such. Lookin for a decent but budget friendly scope. Any personal recommendations/testimonials? I'm hoping to stay in the $150-300 range. Im a very casual shooter.

I recently stumbled on Bloodhound scopes and picked up a 6-25x50 FFP model but they also have a 4-14x42 model. Here's a link (https://www.blackhoundoptics.com) with more info. I am a big fan of SWFA SS scopes but they are getting difficult to find.

Here's a review of the Bloodhound Genesis 6-24×50 FFP MOAby Cyclops on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6CFbp4gn9M

Last edited:

JChad12

Dec 11, 2020
    Upper Marlboro

JChad12

Dec 11, 2020
    Upper Marlboro
    It's tough at that price range considering the capability of the rifle. My only suggestion is to wait until you save a few hundred more and then you'll way better options.

I believe you'll hear a lot of "buy once, cry once."

Good luck.

What is a mid tier price range?

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    For around $300 you probably can’t beat a fixed 10 or 12 power from SWFA.

Edit: I would not waste the $ on a variable scope in that price range if it is having to survive 308 recoil.

JChad12

Dec 11, 2020
    Upper Marlboro

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    SWFA SS 10x or 12x would also be my choice, maybe with an Aero Precision mount. $300 is simply not much of a budget for a quality scope that's going to hold up to 308 for a long time.

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    If you can save just a little more coin $350 can get you a vortex diamonback tactical or a riton x3 primal. I have a x1 primal and for the $200 it has decent glass and I really like the reticle. The eye box is a little unforgiving and the field of view isn't as good as more expensive scopes but for the price its hard to beat.

JChad12

Dec 11, 2020
    Upper Marlboro
    SWFA SS 10x or 12x would also be my choice, maybe with an Aero Precision mount. $300 is simply not much of a budget for a quality scope that's going to hold up to 308 for a long time.
    Got it. Being inexperienced in scopes, I was thinking the price i threw out would get me a mid tier scope. I have No problem spending more for a quality scope the rifle needs. I've purchased a rifle every 2-3 months so ill just skip a cycle and get a scope instead

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I have a new in box NIKON P-308 4x16x42 Matte BDC 800 I would let go for 300. PM me

This, it's about as much scope as you can get for $300.

IMO pick magnification for the range you plan to shoot at, a decent scope will be comfortable with the target magnified to appear as it would be at 1x per50 yards, so 2x@100, 4x@200 etc. You start to loose useable FOV when it gets under 1x@25 for all but single target work. Better scopes usually have a larger FOV at lower magnification, and the cleaner/brighter image at higher magnification can make it easier to hit shots further for a given magnification. The 4-16 is perfect IMO for a target AR10, from 100-800 yards it's ideal. If not the Nikon, I have a Diamondback tactical FFP 4-16x44 on one of mine, it's pretty good glass for the money, bought it from Shydas for $300(under MAP in store only). You can't do much better till you get up to the PST2 line. IMO those are the best under 1K and offer huge upgrades for the money.

Duckncover

Jan 14, 2021
    howard county
    I recently got a Primary Arms SLx 4-14x44 FFP scope for $279. So far its been fine. Has the ACSS illuminated reticle, although I have not tested the reticle ranging feature yet

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Look up the Cabelas Covenant Tactical series, fairly full-featured similar to big $$$ scopes, glass seems good, mostly less than $300. I put a Covenant 5 (3-15x50) on my Savage MSR (AR10) .308, and it’s been a perfect match so far. I have far more expensive scopes, high-end Vortex & Nightforce, and the Covenant 5 holds its own pretty impressively. I think I read some time ago Cabelas Covenant scopes were made by Vortex, not sure if that’s accurate or not. Just wanted to give you another option. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom